skip navigation

2 Pages12>
Changes to BCS
newmen
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:41:57 PM(UTC)

All American
High Fives: 320
High Fived: 307
Looks like the BCS will be going to a 4 team playoff starting at the end of the 2014 college football season.

http://espn.go.com/colle...ies-different-look-2014

There are still plenty of details to be worked out and nothing is truly set in stone other than the fact that there will be four teams playing for a national championship at the end of the season (2014).
WSN's All-Time Lowest Score
Pick 'Em Champ: 2011 Cloverbelt BB, '11 State Football Playoffs
I was in Wissports Illustrated
Sponsor  

aloveforfootball12
#2 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2012 6:02:43 AM(UTC)
WSNxtra: Member of WSN Xtra
All Conference
High Fives: 52
High Fived: 132
Four teams is more reasonable than eight. A team with two losses that is ranked 5 to 8 shouldn't be having the chance at a national title possibility if there are teams ahead of them with one loss or undefeated season.
I love football. My twitter account: https://twitter.com/wifootballfan
hoopdreamswi
#3 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2012 2:56:40 PM(UTC)
All State
High Fives: 10
High Fived: 74
It's an improvement. Bowls still an ugly vulture feeding on the system, but it's something.
coachw12
#4 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2012 3:12:56 PM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fives: 24
High Fived: 128
The SEC controls the BCS. The SEC controls the Harris Poll. The SEC does not want competition.

If D 3 can go 32 teams D 2 has 24 with 8 getting first round byes. D 1 AA champion plays 15 or 6 games to be the champion.

A 16 team field with the conference champion and runner up for the BCS conferences and 4 at large bids. games played on the college campuses of the higher seeds.

Imagine a LSU or Bama coming to Ann Arbor or Columbus or maybe even Madison in December. Football is made to be played in the elements and northern teams should not be punished like they currently are in football and college baseball.

dfnewburry
#5 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2012 3:56:31 PM(UTC)

All State
High Fives: 241
High Fived: 189
hoopdreams_wi wrote:
It's an improvement. Bowls still an ugly vulture feeding on the system, but it's something.

I'll take the bowls over the BCS anyday .
DIGNITAS
To live with dignity
To die with dignity

hoopdreamswi
#6 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2012 5:09:53 PM(UTC)
All State
dfnewburry wrote:
hoopdreams_wi wrote:

I'll take the bowls over the BCS anyday .

Same thing isn't it? That's what the "B" stands for.
wr88
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 28, 2012 10:55:40 AM(UTC)

All State
High Fives: 70
High Fived: 161
The Rose Bowl should be the BigTen vs the Pac-12. End of story, do not soil this storied tradition with a P.O.S. playoff.

This will not help a all in deciding a national champion, or be more fair than the current form.
A Playoff will not be any more fair than the BCS.
No matter what happens, Favre > Rodgers.
St. Louis Cardinals = Class of MLB.
Carlos Gomez is the new Nyjer Morgan.....
Twitter
1 user high fived
dfnewburry on 4/28/2012(UTC)
coachw12
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 28, 2012 2:35:59 PM(UTC)
All Conference
WR_88 wrote:
The Rose Bowl should be the BigTen vs the Pac-12. End of story, do not soil this storied tradition with a P.O.S. playoff.

This will not help a all in deciding a national champion, or be more fair than the current form.

This is the problem with the Big Ten fans. They are stuck in the past. The future is a NCAA baseketball like tourney to decide the national champion.
dfnewburry
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 28, 2012 5:02:26 PM(UTC)

All State
High Fives: 241
High Fived: 189
Coach W wrote:
WR_88 wrote:

This is the problem with the Big Ten fans. They are stuck in the past. The future is a NCAA baseketball like tourney to decide the national champion.

A mythical national champion with bowl games and tradition is better than a rigged poker game .
DIGNITAS
To live with dignity
To die with dignity

1 user high fived
newmen on 5/3/2012(UTC)
wr88
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2012 11:20:39 AM(UTC)

All State
You will still have the #5 or #6 team whining and complaining that they are not included. Lets say #1 USC, #2 LSU, #3 Oklahoma, #4 Michigan are all undefeated. #5 Boise State is undefeated too..... Why arn't they included in the playoff too? They won a major conference just like those 4. How is that 4-team playoff any more fair than the current system if someone who is deserving is left out? Make is an 8-team playoff? well, that's not fair, lets make it a 16 team playoff?
Basketball was 32, then 64, and now it is 68.

If anything, a playoff is even more messy due to the selection process.

Are they going to make a mandate that to be one of the Top 4 teams you have to win your conference? Or atleast win a your division in your conference? Heading into the last week of the season the SEC had the Top 3 teams (LSU, Alabama, Arkansas.) Had Arkansas beat LSU, you would have still had the Top 3 teams be in the SEC, and 3 of the playoff spots be taken by the SEC. That's not fair, it is catering to the SEC even more than the current system does.

Also, I am not a very big BigTen fan. I follow the Big12 more closely, but as a fan of the sport of college football, that is a tradition that should not stop.
Twitter
peckulease
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2012 11:26:27 AM(UTC)

All American
High Fives: 141
High Fived: 231
WR_88 wrote:
You will still have the #5 or #6 team whining and complaining that they are not included. Lets say #1 USC, #2 LSU, #3 Oklahoma, #4 Michigan are all undefeated. #5 Boise State is undefeated too..... Why arn't they included in the playoff too? They won a major conference just like those 4. How is that 4-team playoff any more fair than the current system if someone who is deserving is left out? Make is an 8-team playoff? well, that's not fair, lets make it a 16 team playoff?
Basketball was 32, then 64, and now it is 68.

If anything, a playoff is even more messy due to the selection process.

Are they going to make a mandate that to be one of the Top 4 teams you have to win your conference? Or atleast win a your division in your conference? Heading into the last week of the season the SEC had the Top 3 teams (LSU, Alabama, Arkansas.) Had Arkansas beat LSU, you would have still had the Top 3 teams be in the SEC, and 3 of the playoff spots be taken by the SEC. That's not fair, it is catering to the SEC even more than the current system does.

Also, I am not a very big BigTen fan. I follow the Big12 more closely, but as a fan of the sport of college football, that is a tradition that should not stop.

LOL. That will be the day... It is not perfect, but it is a step in the right direction. A playoff system is needed.
A Playoff will be much more fair than the BCS.
No matter what happens, Rodgers GREATER THAN Favre.
St. Louis Cardinals = Classless
bb211
#12 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2012 12:31:37 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 1
High Fived: 506
I've always enjoyed WR's "there aren't enough spots for x-ranked team in this format, so let's just keep it at two and screw over even more teams" argument.
You are not smarter than your favorite team's upper management, so stop trying to be.
1 user high fived
mrmike527 on 4/30/2012(UTC)
crusaderpride
#13 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2012 1:16:15 PM(UTC)

All State
High Fives: 8
High Fived: 72
WR_88 wrote:

You realize that the BCS that you love so much already ruined the Rose Bowl tradition, yes?
wr88
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2012 10:35:53 PM(UTC)

All State
crusaderpride wrote:
WR_88 wrote:

You realize that the BCS that you love so much already ruined the Rose Bowl tradition, yes?

I understand that 1 out of every 4 years it isn't a Pac-12 vs BigTen matchup. But I will take that over it being messed up more frequently by the playoff.

Peckulease, it was an example with the top 5 I chose. Put in whatever teams you want, and the fact remains, the #5 team will complain.
Twitter
paladium
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2012 11:21:00 PM(UTC)

Moderator Badge: WSN Moderator
WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 57
High Fived: 264
I think that the Pro sports have the right idea. Break College Football into divisions (conferences) and then give each winner a berth plus have a couple wild cards.

How this could work in College Football:

8 Team playoff
6 Conference Champions
2 Wild Cards.

Hell, let's make it interesting and have play in games. So 4 wild cards, but only two advance to the actual playoffs.

Now, here is how this would work schedule wise:

All regular season schedules must be complete by the last weekend of November. This includes conference championship games. This would push the start of the season up a week or two, but there are two good reasons for that. First, players would be arriving at school a month or two early for practices, and programs could be "encouraged" to set up mandatory tutoring for students who are not maintaining a high GPA. Second, fewer games at the end of the academic semester when finals come around.

Now, the play in games would take place on the third Saturday of December, or three weeks from the end of the season. The four teams would be ranked, and the higher seeds would host the lower seeds. During those three weeks practice time would be cut in half for the first two weeks (allowing players to study and take all final exams in this time frame), with expanded practice times the week before the game.

The playoffs would start on New Years Eve, with two games happening that day and two games on New Years day. These games would be also be hosted by the higher seed. The second round would take place two weeks after that, at neutral sites. The Championship game would take place two weeks later, again held at a neutral site.

Thus, the season would end a week or two into second semester, and only two schools would have students miss any class time during second semester. The neutral games would rotate between a couple different warm, southern cities.

Also, bowl games could still be played for everyone else (including playoff teams who lost in the first round), held the before the first round and between the first and second rounds (depending upon how good a team is).
The Brewers will finish 90-72 and earn the #1 WC berth.

Carlos Gomez will have a 30/40 season (HR/SB) and win a 2nd Gold Glove en route to an All Star selection.
1 user high fived
amped0808 on 6/20/2012(UTC)
mrmike527
#16 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 12:29:35 AM(UTC)
WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 300
High Fived: 194
WR_88 wrote:
crusaderpride wrote:
WR_88 wrote:

I understand that 1 out of every 4 years it isn't a Pac-12 vs BigTen matchup. But I will take that over it being messed up more frequently by the playoff.

Peckulease, it was an example with the top 5 I chose. Put in whatever teams you want, and the fact remains, the #5 team will complain.

The goal is not for the teams to not complain, the goal is to create an interesting postseason system which is both entertaining and gives all teams a fair chance to compete.

Currently, only Big 6 conference schools have an honest shot at competing for a National Championship in the vast majority of years. That is the issue here. The fact that you think "well, there will always be teams complaining!" is a logical reason not to make improvement to a system is willful ignorance.
tylah10
#17 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 5:53:40 PM(UTC)

Varsity
High Fives: 161
High Fived: 37
They should make college football into one giant 119 team playoff. Double elimination, fight to the death.
Projected Super Bowl Champs for the next 10 years: Oakland Raiders.
hoopdreamswi
#18 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2012 7:58:21 PM(UTC)
All State
Tylah10 wrote:
They should make college football into one giant 119 team playoff. Double elimination, fight to the death.

That would be a lot like this...
tylah10
#19 Posted : Saturday, May 05, 2012 2:39:54 AM(UTC)

Varsity
High Fives: 161
High Fived: 37
hoopdreams_wi wrote:
Tylah10 wrote:

That would be a lot like this...

I love it.
Projected Super Bowl Champs for the next 10 years: Oakland Raiders.
riseagainst
#20 Posted : Saturday, May 05, 2012 7:06:07 AM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fives: 2
High Fived: 237
WR_88 wrote:
crusaderpride wrote:
WR_88 wrote:

In reference to your #1 USC, #2 LSU, #3 Oklahoma, #4 Michigan, and #5 Boise St all being undefeated. Would you rather keep the current BCS way of #1 USC vs #2 LSU for the "national championship"? Then have #3 Oklahoma play some loser in another BCS game and #4 Michigan play an extremely overrated #10 Va Tech (or some other ACC trash) in the Sugar Bowl (because lord knows the BCS would never pit #3 Oklahoma vs #4 Michigan because they don't want to create anymore controversy over who is #1). Then of course, they'll put #5 Boise St against a non BCS, mediocre team (cough, Utah, cough)?

Boy that sounds much better than having 4 undefeated powerhouse teams duke it out, with 1 team (Boise St.) being left out. Because you know, Boise St. has NEVER been left out of the national championship picture under the current BCS structure ...
University of Wisconsin Track and Field
onpackerland
#21 Posted : Saturday, May 05, 2012 9:55:33 AM(UTC)

All State
High Fives: 65
High Fived: 304
WR_88 wrote:
crusaderpride wrote:
WR_88 wrote:

As compared to now, when teams 3-5 would complain?
Following Wisconsin sports from the Keweenaw.

The Chicago Blackhawks are to the NHL what the St. Louis Cardinals are to MLB.

Packerland: the conference, the area, the state, the lifestyle.
peckulease
#22 Posted : Saturday, May 05, 2012 1:08:13 PM(UTC)

All American
High Fives: 141
High Fived: 231
WR_88 wrote:
crusaderpride wrote:
WR_88 wrote:

I could care less what teams you put in there, I laughed because you have 4 undefeated teams. When was the last time that has happened if ever? That just isn't going to happen, even if it has before. It makes your argument look silly.
A Playoff will be much more fair than the BCS.
No matter what happens, Rodgers GREATER THAN Favre.
St. Louis Cardinals = Classless
hickorycornhusker
#23 Posted : Saturday, May 05, 2012 11:22:37 PM(UTC)

All State
High Fives: 15
High Fived: 35
peckulease wrote:
WR_88 wrote:
crusaderpride wrote:
WR_88 wrote:

I could care less what teams you put in there, I laughed because you have 4 undefeated teams. When was the last time that has happened if ever? That just isn't going to happen, even if it has before. It makes your argument look silly.

In 2009 there were 5 undefeated teams. One loss Florida beat undefeated Cincinnati in the Sugar Bowl. Undefeated Boise State beat undefeated TCU in the Fiesta Bowl. And undefeated Alabama beat undefeated Texas in the National Championship Game.
1 user high fived
newmen on 5/6/2012(UTC)
wr88
#24 Posted : Sunday, May 06, 2012 1:01:41 PM(UTC)

All State
There was only one playoff format that I even remotely liked, but I can't remember where I read it.

The Top 4 would have to be conference champions. If not all 4 are conference champions, they will look at the Top 6 or 8 teams.
If there are not 4 conference champions in that, they will take the Conference runner ups.
Instead of soiling the BCS Bowl traditions, like the Rose Bowl, they would have the semi final games at two different locations, with the title game at another.

EX: semi #1 @ San Diego, Semi #2 @ Charlotte, Championship Game @ St. Louis.

That would leave the Rose to take the Pac-12 And BigTen champs if they are not in the Top 4, and if one or both are in the Top 4 they take the Conference runner-ups.
The Orange would get the ACC Champ or ACC Runner-up.
Sugar would get the SEC champ, runner-up, or Highest remaining ranked team.
Fiesta gets the Big12 champ or 2nd place team.
The Big East team either qualifies for the Tournament, or rotates between the Sugar, Orange, and Fiesta.
The other BCS atlarge spots are are decided the same way they are now.
Twitter
coachw12
#25 Posted : Sunday, May 06, 2012 1:28:38 PM(UTC)
All Conference
bowl games suck. bring on a 16 or 24 team national title playoff. It would be the most intense few weeks in sports.