skip navigation
Posting on the WSN Forum will be unavailable for a few days while we migrate to a new forum.
We apologize for any inconvenience.

3 Pages<123
2017 NBA Free Agency and Trades
diener34
#51 Posted : Saturday, August 26, 2017 4:30:04 PM(UTC)

Moderator Badge: WSN Moderator
WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 374
High Fived: 944
Time for the Bucks to slide into Cleveland's DMs.

cameroncrazies02
#52 Posted : Sunday, August 27, 2017 1:08:30 AM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 28
High Fived: 223
CLE won't go back to the drawing board. They've apparently already engaged BOS in giving more in the trade, but no traction yet. BOS now has the leverage. CLE is in a more dyer situation to stick with the deal than start over and try to re-trade Kyrie. I don't think a Middleton, Brogdon, 18' 1st deal is necessarily better for CLE than a hurt IT, Crowder, Zizic and BKN's 18' 1st.

In other news, Nerlens Noel signed the qualifying offer of 1/4.1 with DAL. He apparently turned down a deal that would've netted him 17.5 per year. Noel clearly has some bad management around him. He's a really useful player for his talents, but is limited. No way he would get 20M per year which is what I'd guess he's asking for. He'll go to unrestricted FA next summer now in hopes of a better deal, but he'll have to really earn it this year.
Twitter: @TheSpangover

Check out diener and my new website @ www.thirddegreewithcc.weebly.com

Newest additions
-top 15 NBA free agents by position. That's 75 reviews of free agents.
-Diener breaks down the Brewers as a franchise
-2013 NBA Draft Combine Day 1 results and review
-State of the Roster-breaking down 3 best and worst NBA rosters
diener34
#53 Posted : Sunday, August 27, 2017 3:36:44 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
I just can't imagine a scenario where Cle says give us more, Boston says no, and then Cle says ok we'll take the original deal.

I think Cleveland severely overplayed their hand by doing this.

Ainge normally has trouble agreeing to trades and now they are gonna try to squeeze another pick out of him? Seems crazy to me.
cameroncrazies02
#54 Posted : Sunday, August 27, 2017 9:55:57 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
BOS has offered CLE a 2nd round pick to add to the deal. CLE is reportedly asking for Jayson Tatum or Jaylen Brown. Clearly they're very far apart in that aspect. They have until Wednesday to complete this deal or else it's automatically vetoed. My question with that is, if the trade is vetoed, are they allowed to come back to the same deal and agree to it a day later, or are they forced to find different parameters?

How do you mean that CLE overplayed their hand? I think this was far and away their best trade offer. It's still up in the air whether MIL really offered Middleton, Brogdon and 18' 1st. There were reports they did, then quick rebuts that they didn't, and none of them were big time sources, so who knows. And even if that is the offer, an injured IT, Crowder, Zizic and BKN's 18 is still better simply because of BKN's 1st. I just don't see a way CLE can back out. If they do, they have no leverage. Any other team involved in trade discussions knows BOS, the team that was the biggest threat to acquire Kyrie, is now out and CLE is a little desperate. The one point of leverage CLE has is BOS is in a similar situation, CLE could say, hey we're gonna walk away from this deal, thanks anyway. And then BOS is back to an awkward situation of welcoming back IT and Crowder. And now everyone knows IT is injured.

Newest additions
diener34
#55 Posted : Tuesday, August 29, 2017 4:52:13 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
I'm saying that Cleveland accepted the original deal knowing that IT's hip would cause him to fail his physical, and they could ask for even more because IT and the awkward situation you referred too. It's not that Cleveland lost any leverage, they still have it. I just think they were slimy about it and if I was a GM I would think twice about trading with them after this.

I'm not saying it wasn't smart for Cleveland, but I can't imagine Ainge would add anything to the deal.

There is a huge difference between Jaylen Brown and a 2nd round pick.

Even taking the Bucks offer out of this scenario I think Cleveland could have got a great deal for a player that publicly asked to be traded and now they are gonna end up getting nothing.
cameroncrazies02
#56 Posted : Tuesday, August 29, 2017 9:36:24 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
I am skeptical that CLE went through this diabolical plan to complete this trade, know IT would fail, then ask for more. And if they did, I don't think it's necessarily a sleazy move. It was probably in their initial contingency plan with talks with BOS. Hey, IT's hip is bad, he's not the blue chipper we could acquire elsewhere, you're going to have to add more.

Woj reported tonight that CLE will accept the deal if BOS throws in a late 1st. My guess is it'd be one of BOS's future 1st's, but it'd have lottery or top 20 protections out to 2021, then turn into two 2nd rounders. Whether BOS accepts that or not is up in the air. The difference between throwing in a future 1st and a future 2nd is huge in deals. My guess is BOS still takes this deal, because if they don't come to terms, BOS is back to its original plan. If CLE backs out, they can still trade Kyrie elsewhere.

Newest additions
cameroncrazies02
#57 Posted : Thursday, August 31, 2017 12:44:29 AM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
Cavs and Celtics have completed the Kyrie Irving trade. The Celtics will send the Cavs a 2020 2nd round pick from Miami. A bit of a surprise they didn't get more. But all in all, it was the most the Cavs would get for Kyrie, from any team. The deal ends with Kyrie Irving for Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic, BKN's 2018 1st rd pick, MIA's 2018 2020 2nd rd pick. The extent of IT's injury came out too. He could miss the entire regular season. That's surprising news to me. I'm surprised CLE didn't back out of the deal then. Without IT, CLE is going to really struggle this season without another prime time ball handler and scorer. I guess CLE is punting knowing Lebron will leave next summer and they'll have a top 5 pick.

CLE-
PG-Rose, Felder, Calderon (Isaiah Thomas?)
SG-Smith, Korver, Shumpert
SF-Lebron, Crowder, Osman, Jefferson
PF-Love, J. Green, Frye
C-Thompson, Zizic, Tavares

I'd bet their rotation comes down to Rose, Smith, Lebron, Love, Thompson with Crowder, Korver, Green, Felder and Zizic off the bench. That leaves Shumpert on the outs. Early reports after the initial Kyrie trade said Shumpert requested a trade but was quickly shot down. They'd be smart to try to trade him for another asset. It's a much deeper team, but a much worse team at the top. Lebron is going to have to go into dominate mode like he did in the past. If this team sputters, it'll be interesting to see what CLE does with Kevin Love.

BOS-
PG-Irving, Smart, Larkin
SG-Hayward, Rozier
SF-Brown, Tatum, Ojeleye, Yabusele
PF-Horford, Morris
C-Baynes

I'd fully expect Boston to target some veteran contracts yet. They had interest in Andrew Bogut a week or two ago and those are the types of guys they'll need to fill out their roster. Their rotation of the starting 5 with Smart, Tatum and Morris off the bench is deadly. The three bench guys bring instant offense and versatility. They've propelled themselves into the top seed in the East. Boris Diaw, David Lee, Tiago Splitter and Tyler Zeller are also still available as big men.

Newest additions
cameroncrazies02
#58 Posted : Saturday, September 02, 2017 1:09:02 AM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
NO Pelicans trade Quincy Pondexter, 2nd rd pick to CHI-

Pondexter has now missed two full seasons due to injury. Even before that, he had major injuries that caused him to miss large portions of seasons. The Pelicans gave him something in the realm of 4/15 three years ago and they've seen almost zero return on him. He's now an expiring contract and is yet to be seen whether he'll play this season. The Pelicans just lost Solomon Hill for likely the entire season due to a torn hamstring. So now the Pelicans, low on wing talent, has no money to sign anybody without going over the luxury tax line and injured players riddled throughout their roster. So they flipped Pondexter and a 2nd rounder to sweeten the deal to CHI who is collecting assets for a re-build. This gives the Pelicans about $4M in cap room to sign another player. I'd guess they're going after Shabazz Muhammed or Dante Cunningham. Regardless, this rag tag team that was put together, coupled with bad cap management has had a disastrous off-season. And next year, Demarcus Cousins will be a free agent. That experiment didn't go well to end the season last year. With only Davis and Jrue Holliday as their long term pieces in place, the Pelicans may have to dump everything, trade Davis in the off-season for a complete re-build. If I'm Phoenix, I'm calling up the Pelicans every day offering up Josh Jackson, Dragan Bender, TJ Warren, Tyson Chandler, 2018 1st, 2019 pick swap and 2020 1st for Davis and Omer Asik.

Newest additions
cameroncrazies02
#59 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:31:09 AM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
Heat sign Josh Richardson to extension of 4/42-

How do you destroy a team? You overpay mid-level players. The Heat paid Josh Richardson 4/42, James Johnson to 4/60, Dion Waiters to 4/52, Kelly Olynyk to 4/50, and owe Tyler Johnson $46+ million over the next 3 years.

PG-Dragic, T. Johnson
SG-Waiters, Richardson, Ellington
SF-Winslow
PF-J. Johnson, Adebayo
C-Whiteside, Olynyk

That's good enough for the 4th seed in the East, but they are completely capped out and well into the luxury tax once all these extensions kick in. They won't begin to sniff something near cap space until 2020-2021 season. They also owe their 2018 and 2021 1st round picks to other teams and don't own their own 2nd round pick until 2022. This has been horrendous team management by the Heat. Sure, they'll be frisky. They went something like 30-11 to end the season, but also started last season 11-30. So what Heat team will come out? Winslow's healthy, Adebayo looks to be a good draft pick and their guys are a year older, but the severe lack of shooting and lack of tradeable assets makes this team scary to think of what they'll do if they start this season on a disappointing note again.

Shabazz Muhammed re-signs with T'Wolves for 1/1.6-

Muhammed took less money he could've gotten elsewhere to return to Minnesota on a minimum contract. It's probably a good move for him. He sticks with his original team which is signficiantly improved this season. He'll come off the bench as the 6th man along with Jamal Crawford and play the scorer role. He's been massively disappointing in Minnesota from what he was touted to be when he was drafted, but in a different, more defined role, he may come into his own.

Tyler Zeller signs 2 yr deal with Nets-

After being released by Boston to save cap room this summer, Zeller found himself without any suitors. He'll go to BKN where he'll play behind Timofey Mozgov and Jarrett Allen. He may get some run if Mozgov is bad, but is likely a bench guy.

Pelicans sign Tony Allen-

At 35, Allen is still one of the best perimeter players in the game. I'm surprised he didn't get better looks elsewhere. He'd be perfect for a veteran, championship caliber team with shooting. Instead, he signed with a team that has no direction, a discombobulated rotation and no shooting. It's likely the Hornets roll with Rondo, Holiday, Allen, Davis and Cousins as their starting five which has absolutely no shooting and 4 of those 5 guys needing the ball every single possession. This team is going to be a disaster this season and I can't wait for the Anthony Davis blockbuster trade.

Newest additions
cameroncrazies02
#60 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 1:05:21 AM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
For discussions sake, lets discuss the biggest trade assets this year-

1-Anthony Davis-the blockbuster of all blockbuster trades. If the Pelicans come out bad as it looks like they will, they will have no moves to make but trade Davis. Holiday just signed a massive extension that wouldn't net them a return. Rondo has no trade value and Cousins is on a 1 year deal that will net him UFA next summer which he will certainly visit every team possible and likely bolt. So his trade value is significantly diminished. The Pelicans need to trade Davis. He has 4 years left on a max extension at about $25M per year, a very good contract for a superstar for the next few seasons. Trading Davis, they could also include any bad contract they have to sweeten the pot for them.

BOS incoming-Anthony Davis, Omer Asik, Jerryd Bayless
BOS outgoing-Jayson Tatum, Al Horford, Terry Rozier, 2018 LA/2019 PHI/SAC 1ST, 2019 MEM 1ST

NOP incoming-Jayson Tatum, Jahlil Okafor, Terry Rozier, 2018 LA/2019 PHI/SAC 1ST, 2019 MEM 1ST, two future 2nd rd picks (PHI)
NOP outgoing-Anthony Davis, Omer Asik

PHI incoming-Al Horford
PHI outgoing-Jahlil Okafor, Jerryd Bayless, two future 2nd rd picks

Why for BOS-if you ever want to build a super team here it is. Kyrie, Hayward, Davis flanked by Jaylen Brown, Smart. It's a wildly thin team, but those three together could be deadly. They're paying a steep price (Tatum-#4 pick this year) and two future likely lottery picks, but that's the price you pay for Davis.

Why for NOP-it may not be enough. But Tatum becomes your franchise cornerstone, you give Okafor a shot and pick up two likely very good picks. MEM pick is a sneaky good one. MEM may be terrible in 2019. They'd set themselves up with, likely, two lottery picks in both 2018 and 2019.

Why for PHI-Okafor doesn't work for them, Bayless is completely expendable with their depth at SG and two measly 2nd round picks doesn't begin to put a dent in their stash of picks.

MIL incoming-Anthony Davis, Tyson Chandler
MIL outgoing-Jabari Parker, Thon Maker, Greg Monroe, Rashad Vaughn, Gary Payton II, 2018 and 2020 1sts

NOP incoming-Jabari Parker, Thon Maker, Dragan Bender, Rashad Vaughn, MIL 2018 and 2020 1sts
NOP outgoing-Anthony Davis

PHX incoming-Greg Monroe
PHX outgoing-Tyson Chandler, Dragan Bender

Why for MIL-you keep Middleton, Brogdon and get Davis. Thon and Jabari and a few picks is good price for him. Monroe is replaced by Davis, GP and Vaughn are throw ins. Brogdon, Middleton, Giannis, Wilson, Davis with Delly, Telly, Chandler, Henson, Brown off the bench. I can get behind that.

Why for NOP-this would have to be contingent on a Jabari extension NOP can agree upon. If so, they get Parker and Thon who are blue chippers, Bender still has a lot of upside even if he didn't get to show it yet and two future 1sts to stash away.

Why for PHX-PHX may want to get into free agency next year, but can't unless they off-load some of their contracts. By acquiring Monroe, they get an expiring when Chandler would take up another year of cap space and lose Bender in the process who is lost in the rotation.

ORL trades Evan Fournier, Jonathan Isaac, Aaron Gordon, 2018 1st and 2020 OKC 1st to NOP for Anthony Davis and Omer Asik

A sneaky good trade. Fournier is a sneaky good player who is only 24 and improving every year. Isaac has the most potential of almost any player in last years draft. Gordon has been miscast badly in ORL and played out of position. ORL won't improve all that drastically this season so their pick will still be a good one and a 2020 OKC pick could be a high lottery pick too if Westbrook and George bolt in FA next summer. NOP include the Asik contract and don't take back any bad contracts. They run with Holiday, Allen, Fournier, Gordon and Cousins with Isaac, Moore, Ajinca, Clark off the bench. It's not a world beating team, it's probably not even a playoff team in the West, but it's loaded with good, young talent, it's solely Cousins team and he could be enticed to re-sign since he gets an extra year and more money on a max deal from NOP.

Newest additions
cameroncrazies02
#61 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2017 12:47:38 AM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
Nuggets, Mason Plumlee agree to 3/41-

I'm not sure what kind of heist the Plumlee family is pulling on the NBA, but they just keep getting paid. He's definitely a good player, provides energy, decent defender, decent rebounder, good passer, but he doesn't do anything elite. He's a back up center behind Millsap and Jokic. You can't play Jokic and Plumlee together, so he'll get maybe 15-20 MPG. And now their front court is Millsap and Jokic starting with Plumlee, Faried, Lyles, Hernangomez, Lydon, and Arthur off the bench. You can probably play Hernangomez and Lydon little minutes at the 3 because they spread the floor, but that's not today's NBA style. They traded for Lyles along with their 13th pick and acquired the 27th pick in which they drafted Lydon when Donovan Mitchell was available. So now they have a terrible log jam. The money isn't much of an issue for DEN now, but Harris and Jokic will need to be re-signed during this deal. They'll have the luxury of some deals expiring in the mean time, so it won't be crippling, but these are the deals that chip away at a franchise's ability to build a long term team. But hey, I'd rather have Plumlee than Henson at almost the same money.

Andrew Wiggins, Wolves close to 5/148 extension-

Woof that's a lot of money. I get you have to pay him that, but you're completely dedicating yourself to him now. He's gotten better in virtually every statistical category every year, I'd pay him the same. And you're just wasting time if you don't extend him now. Don't extend him and have to listen to extension/FA talks all summer before matching a max deal next summer. Probably more of a signing now in hopes the cap rises and the max deal now is less than it would be next summer. Wolves are such a nasty team. Would've loved to see them keep Rubio instead of downgrading to Jeff Teague but their lineup is Teague, Wiggins, Butler, Gibson, KAT with Crawford, Dieng, Muhammed, Tyus Jones, Bjelica, Patton off the bench.

Bucks sign Brandon Rush to camp deal-

Not much to see here. It's just a camp deal to bring in other warm bodies. It's interesting though, their first two camp deals have been SG/SF's in Rush and James Young. Seems they think they need more depth.

Newest additions