skip navigation

Harold Mulhern
MBC2K4_old
#1 Posted : Friday, April 14, 2006 2:41:53 PM(UTC)
All American
High Fives: 1
High Fived: 41
There was a blurb in tonight's Eau Claire paper that Durand will not be renewing the services of Harold Mulhern as head boy's coach next year. Harold has the most high school basketball coaching victories in the state & to hear that he will not have a say in whether or not he returns next season was kind of a shocker to me.
CURRENT RING COUNT
MBC2K4: 0
LeBron James: 0

I AM THE CHOSEN ONE!!!
Sponsor  

stcroix1
#2 Posted : Friday, April 14, 2006 2:48:09 PM(UTC)

Moderator Badge: WSN Moderator
WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 198
High Fived: 157
Jerry Petitgoue has the most wins in the state...but regardless, it's kinda surprising to let a coach go after winning the conference.
HoF Class 2011

NRHSTIGER is a friend of mine...and you are no NRHSTIGER

Twitter: @stcroix64
jwood902
#3 Posted : Friday, April 14, 2006 3:37:09 PM(UTC)

WSNxtra: Member of WSN Xtra
All Conference
High Fived: 3
Mulhern would be up there right with Petitgue but coached 3 yrs in Minn.
Isaac_old
#4 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2006 3:10:21 AM(UTC)

Varsity
High Fives: 0
High Fived: 0

According to the Wisconsin Basketball Yearbook Mulhern coached for SEVEN years in Minnesota. His overall career wins would put him just behind Petitgoue, but counting just Wisconsin wins he also trails Auburndale's Tim Anderson. Mulhern's wins this year did move him ahead of Carl Bruggink and Ron Einerson, though.

[/align]
escards_old
#5 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2006 4:20:13 AM(UTC)
All Conference
Quote:
ORIGINAL: MBC2K4

There was a blurb in tonight's Eau Claire paper that Durand will not be renewing the services of Harold Mulhern as head boy's coach next year. Harold has the most high school basketball coaching victories in the state & to hear that he will not have a say in whether or not he returns next season was kind of a shocker to me.

Having know Harold for a long time, I think it's a bad decision on Durand's part to let him go like this. It's because of an ugly incident that happened between 2 players in the lockerroom after a game and it was handled in house. Apparently the new principal didn't like how it was handled, so he's gone. Let me say also that Harold did nothing wrong, the principal thought the penalties should have been more severe than they were.

Either way, if Harold is done coaching, it's a huge loss for the state of Wisconsin.
My negative score is a result of an obsession that sportsfan has with me. Help win this battle of good vs. evil, give me a +2!
stcroix1
#6 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2006 4:24:47 AM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
Quote:
ORIGINAL: escards

Quote:
ORIGINAL: MBC2K4

Having know Harold for a long time, I think it's a bad decision on Durand's part to let him go like this. It's because of an ugly incident that happened between 2 players in the lockerroom after a game and it was handled in house. Apparently the new principal didn't like how it was handled, so he's gone. Let me say also that Harold did nothing wrong, the principal thought the penalties should have been more severe than they were.

Either way, if Harold is done coaching, it's a huge loss for the state of Wisconsin.

The unfortunate thing is this crap has gone on at Durand with the boys for years. If I was Harold, I would be happy.
HoF Class 2011

peckulease
#7 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2006 5:22:34 AM(UTC)

All American
High Fives: 141
High Fived: 231
now why would you be happy if you just got fired and were a great coach that deserves to go out when he wants...know coach with that many wins should be fired from a job unless something major happened.
A Playoff will be much more fair than the BCS.
No matter what happens, Rodgers GREATER THAN Favre.
St. Louis Cardinals = Classless
stcroix1
#8 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2006 12:50:42 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
Quote:
ORIGINAL: peckulease

now why would you be happy if you just got fired and were a great coach that deserves to go out when he wants...know coach with that many wins should be fired from a job unless something major happened.

Nothing major happened...same crap, different shovel..it will happen again in Durand.
HoF Class 2011

MBC2K4_old
#9 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2006 12:55:10 PM(UTC)
All American
High Fived: 41
I think if a fight takes place within the basketball team that it should be up to the coach to decide how to handle it since it's his team.
CURRENT RING COUNT
MBC2K4: 0
LeBron James: 0

I AM THE CHOSEN ONE!!!
peckulease
#10 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2006 3:48:29 PM(UTC)

All American
High Fives: 141
High Fived: 231
Quote:
ORIGINAL: St Croix

Quote:
ORIGINAL: peckulease

Nothing major happened...same crap, different shovel..it will happen again in Durand.

i know nothing major happend i was saying the only way a coach like that should be fired is if something major happend.
A Playoff will be much more fair than the BCS.
No matter what happens, Rodgers GREATER THAN Favre.
St. Louis Cardinals = Classless
afan1
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2006 6:40:05 AM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 398
High Fived: 404
Durand renews Mulhern’s contract

[/font]

[link=http://www.leadertelegram.com/staff.asp?id=104]Eric Page[/link] [/font]
Leader-Telegram Staff[/font] [/font]

DURAND — Harold Mulhern has recorded more than 650 wins in 49 years of coaching high school basketball.

But his biggest victory may have come late Wednesday night — and this one was a stunning comeback.

Two weeks after Durand’s boys basketball coach was issued a nonrenewal notice, the school board — after a 32-hour closed session — unanimously carried a motion to grant Mulhern a one-year contract renewal.

The man who owns a key to the city, presented after he guided the Panthers to the WIAA Division 2 state tournament in 2000, was surprised by the board’s decision but relieved to have the ordeal behind him.

“I like Durand,” Mulhern said. “The kids and the people have really been nice to me here. This whole thing came as a big shock. I’m happy the school board made the decision it did.”

The fact that Mulhern, 71, was issued a nonrenewal notice in the first place after leading Durand to a 15-7 record and the Middle Border Conference championship was somewhat perplexing. But a successful season on the court was tainted by players’ poor sportsmanship and volatile team chemistry — issues that were discussed during the board’s meeting.

The internal problems erupted during a 70-43 loss Feb. 4 at Hayward in which two Durand players engaged in a physical altercation. It was the most public of several unpleasant exchanges either between players or individual players and Mulhern.

There also allegedly were instances in which members of the team openly cursed at the coach and checked themselves back into games after being benched.

At one point, according to a source close to the program, a player left the bench during a game, went to the locker room and changed into street clothes. He later returned to the gymnasium, made an obscene gesture at Mulhern and watched the remainder of the game from the student section. The player played the next game, the source said.

The school board addressed the lack of discipline with Mulhern present during the final hour of the closed session.

“We had some good discussion on who we are, where we’re going and where we want to be,” district superintendent Jerry Walters said. “It’s not all about winning and losing in high school sports. If you can’t win with dignity, it really doesn’t mean much.”

Mulhern, who resides in Osseo and is a substitute teacher, said he’ll approach next season with more strict team rules and clearly defined consequences for player misconduct.

“I’ve got to buckle down now and do a couple new things,” he said, “but that’s not a problem, because I’ve done it before.”

Mulhern, who said he would like to coach three or four more years, won the 1995 WISAA Division 3 state championship while coaching at Chippewa Falls McDonell and took Osseo-Fairchild to the WIAA state tournament in 1985. He has a 104-95 record in 10 seasons at Durand.
[/font] [/font]
"The name All-Northwest itself means something to readers of the Leader-Telegram." ?

DO JUSTICE, LOVE MERCY, WALK HUMBLY
coach_old
#12 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2006 1:57:33 AM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
I cannot imagine a situation where I would allow a player ever to put on a team uniform again after leaving the previous game at halftime, making inappropriate comments, and sitting in the stands.

I don't know Coach Mulhern but it sounds as though he was not doing a very good job if these incidents were taking place throughout the season. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), I was not there and realize there is always more to the story than what you read in the newspaper. Whether Coach Mulhern let things get out of control or not, I feel sorry for him as I know of no coach that would want this to happen or have fun coaching when they had kids like this on the team.
afan1
#13 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2006 9:49:11 AM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 398
High Fived: 404
Don’t point your finger

Durand’s sportsmanship a reflection on community[/font]

[link=http://www.leadertelegram.com/staff.asp?id=104]Eric Page[/link] [/font]
Leader-Telegram Staff[/font] [/font]

DURAND — It’s hard to pinpoint who is to blame for the public turmoil the Durand boys basketball team experienced last season.

Head coach Harold Mulhern is not the only one responsible.

Two weeks after Mulhern was issued a nonrenewal notice, the school board Wednesday granted Mulhern a one-year contract. Firing the longtime coach would not have been the quick fix the high school administration was looking for.

Should Mulhern have had more control over his team? Yes. But should a high school coach alone have to consider what consequences to deliver to players who exhibit disgusting behavior? Absolutely not.

That discipline starts long before a player dons a varsity uniform. It takes more than a coach to instill good values in high school athletes — it takes a good family, good schools and a good community.

Durand residents have more important issues to address than the foul language some of their varsity basketball players use or the lack of respect some of them show their coach and officials. That behavior may reflect a fan base that often exhibits poor sportsmanship.

That’s not to take Mulhern completely off the hook. There is no excuse for a coach not disciplining his players, and Mulhern did, to a point, let the inmates run the asylum.

The two Durand seniors who engaged in a physical altercation with each other during a Feb. 4 game at Hayward certainly should have served a suspension. The player who left the bench during a game, changed clothes, emerged and made an obscene gesture at Mulhern and then watched the rest of the game from the student section should have been dismissed from the team immediately.

But how does a person get to high school age without learning that type of behavior is unacceptable? The parents of these unruly student-athletes need to assume responsibility and hold their children accountable.

The high school administration, which watched the situation spiral out of control before belatedly stepping in two weeks ago and issuing Mulhern the nonrenewal notice, also needs to shoulder some blame.

People forget that playing high school sports is not a right — it’s a privilege. The athletic arena is one in which handing down consequences is much easier than in the classroom or school hallways, because the administration and coaches have all the leverage.

If the athletes don’t walk the line — be it behaviorally or academically — they don’t play. I don’t care if the player is all-state, all-conference or always on the bench. There needs to be a standard of excellence that extends beyond winning and losing.

What has been lost in all of this is the fact the Panthers went 15-7, won the Middle Border Conference championship and came within an eyelash of a trip to sectionals.

It was a season that most communities would be proud of. But the attitude of players and fans made it a season most in Durand would like to forget.

And no one — not the administration, coaches, players, parents or fans — is free from blame.
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]

[/font]
"The name All-Northwest itself means something to readers of the Leader-Telegram." ?

DO JUSTICE, LOVE MERCY, WALK HUMBLY