skip navigation


3 Pages123>
UWSP Grad Assistant
wcbsas
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:44:13 AM(UTC)
WSNxtra: Member of WSN Xtra
All Conference
Posts: 1,274
High Fives: 4
High Fived: 25
Joined: 6/12/2005(UTC)
JR Blount formerly of Whitefish Bay Dominican and D1 Loyola of Chicago is the new grad assistant at UW-Stevens Point.

Nice player who gets in at a nice spot in Stevens Point.
Sponsor  
 
markski_old
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:48:28 AM(UTC)
Varsity
Posts: 258
High Fives: 0
High Fived: 1
Joined: 7/26/2007(UTC)
He should, and is, making a great recruiting impact along side new Assistant Lance Randall for an already strong pointer program.
One of the least highlighted, yet most remarkable aspects of the NCAA tournament is its ability to purge the past...The water from the spring in Lourdes doesn't heal as effectively as March glory.
shinetime
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 15, 2009 2:33:58 AM(UTC)
All Conference
Posts: 1,207
High Fives: 0
High Fived: 4
Joined: 8/23/2005(UTC)
I was reading through Point's roster and their recruiting class announcement and noticed that Jason Ziemer, Bryant Gregory, and Matt Smith were not on the final roster. Sounds like Ziemer and Gregory were absolute studs in high school both averaging over 20 per game and Smith has some size and played for a D2 school last year. Did these guys quit, transfer, get hurt, or how in the heck are they not on the roster? Points roster is already loaded but I have a hard time believing these three guys couldn't make Point's roster. I'm hoping their just sitting out a year and playing next year for Point.
Back to Back to Back to Back Conference Titles for UWSP.
jtownsupporter
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 15, 2009 2:51:41 AM(UTC)

WSNxtra: Member of WSN Xtra
All State
Posts: 3,353
High Fives: 69
High Fived: 51
Joined: 5/29/2005(UTC)
I have no idea but I'm going to guess "Grey Shirt."
Against the Grain -- DP Show
Prince Fielder will sign with some team for 7 years $160 mil
hoopdreamswi
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 15, 2009 5:41:29 AM(UTC)
All State
Posts: 2,119
High Fives: 10
High Fived: 74
Joined: 6/12/2005(UTC)
It appears they left the team. Unsure if they plan to stay or transfer, but it doesn't sound like they are "grayshirting" for next season at UWSP. Read here:

Page 605 and continue on to Page 606
[link=http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4423.9060]http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4423.9060[/link]
joefosho
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 15, 2009 2:46:00 PM(UTC)
Varsity
Posts: 285
High Fives: 5
High Fived: 2
Joined: 2/9/2008(UTC)
Yeah it looks like Braden Tice, Keondre Gholston, and Zach Ripley all aren't on WIAC opponent UW-Lax's roster either. Weird.
wcbsas
#7 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2009 2:17:41 AM(UTC)
WSNxtra: Member of WSN Xtra
All Conference
Posts: 1,274
High Fives: 4
High Fived: 25
Joined: 6/12/2005(UTC)
hoopdreams_wi wrote:


It appears they left the team. Unsure if they plan to stay or transfer, but it doesn't sound like they are "grayshirting" for next season at UWSP. Read here:

Page 605 and continue on to Page 606
[link=http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4423.9060]http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4423.9060[/link]
Although Semling (head coach) will never admit to it those players plus a couple more were "run-off" ... i.e. told they would never play and they would be better off quitting. UWSP opened the season with 18 players on the roster which is way too many, so losing 4 doesn't hurt them too bad from a numbers perspective.

knautz66
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 03, 2009 8:20:48 AM(UTC)

Junior Varsity
Posts: 43
High Fives: 0
High Fived: 0
Joined: 9/9/2006(UTC)
ShineTime wrote:


I was reading through Point's roster and their recruiting class announcement and noticed that Jason Ziemer, Bryant Gregory, and Matt Smith were not on the final roster. Sounds like Ziemer and Gregory were absolute studs in high school both averaging over 20 per game and Smith has some size and played for a D2 school last year. Did these guys quit, transfer, get hurt, or how in the heck are they not on the roster? Points roster is already loaded but I have a hard time believing these three guys couldn't make Point's roster. I'm hoping their just sitting out a year and playing next year for Point.


As far as I know Ziemer and Smith do attend UWSP, but I don't think Gregory does. But I'm not sure why they are not playing.
uwbadgers
#9 Posted : Friday, December 04, 2009 3:52:34 AM(UTC)
Varsity
Posts: 94
High Fives: 1
High Fived: 0
Joined: 5/29/2005(UTC)
After talking with a couple of players involved with this UWSP situation, it sounds as if it was a case of UW-SP over recuriting players and once they got to campus, they were told they were no longer wanted.
FHS5479_old
#10 Posted : Friday, December 04, 2009 4:07:05 AM(UTC)

All State
Posts: 3,954
High Fives: 4
High Fived: 0
Joined: 12/1/2006(UTC)
UWBadgers wrote:


After talking with a couple of players involved with this UWSP situation, it sounds as if it was a case of UW-SP over recuriting players and once they got to campus, they were told they were no longer wanted.


Yuck. I'd leave if that happened to me.
Always remember the 25th of December(for more then 1 reason)

Winona St. Softball! 34-11
Winona St. Baseball! 32-14
3ptshooter111_old
#11 Posted : Friday, December 04, 2009 4:53:54 AM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
Posts: 86
High Fives: 0
High Fived: 0
Joined: 10/9/2007(UTC)
UWBadgers wrote:


After talking with a couple of players involved with this UWSP situation, it sounds as if it was a case of UW-SP over recuriting players and once they got to campus, they were told they were no longer wanted.


It's not just Point. A number of WIAC schools are over recruiting and creating a try-out situation. I don't have a problem with this as long as they inform the kid that they are not guaranteed a roster spot and must try out to make the team. Unfortunately, I don't believe some of the programs are informing the player of this during the recruitment process.

Not sure if this is also a problem with the private D-3's in WI...

wcbsas
#12 Posted : Friday, December 04, 2009 5:01:50 AM(UTC)
WSNxtra: Member of WSN Xtra
All Conference
Posts: 1,274
High Fives: 4
High Fived: 25
Joined: 6/12/2005(UTC)
3ptshooter111 wrote:


UWBadgers wrote:


After talking with a couple of players involved with this UWSP situation, it sounds as if it was a case of UW-SP over recuriting players and once they got to campus, they were told they were no longer wanted.


It's not just Point. A number of WIAC schools are over recruiting and creating a try-out situation. I don't have a problem with this as long as they inform the kid that they are not guaranteed a roster spot and must try out to make the team. Unfortunately, I don't believe some of the programs are informing the player of this during the recruitment process.

Not sure if this is also a problem with the private D-3's in WI...

I can guarentee you that coaches are not telling kids that they might get cut or never play. In the case of Jason Ziemer and Matt Smith look at the words bestowed upon them by Coach Semling upon their recruitment.

[link=http://athletics.uwsp.edu/news/2009/5/6/MBB_0506091213.aspx?path=mbball]http://athletics.uwsp.edu/news/2009/5/6/MBB_0506091213.aspx?path=mbball[/link]

This doesn't happen at the private schools in D3 because they can not over-recruit. Their schools are too expensive to allow them to bring 15-18 guys onto their roster. I'm sure they would if they could but the economics get in the way too much.
sportsfan12
#13 Posted : Friday, December 04, 2009 5:17:24 AM(UTC)

All American
Posts: 6,063
High Fives: 36
High Fived: 157
Joined: 6/30/2005(UTC)
wcb_sas wrote:


3ptshooter111 wrote:


UWBadgers wrote:


After talking with a couple of players involved with this UWSP situation, it sounds as if it was a case of UW-SP over recuriting players and once they got to campus, they were told they were no longer wanted.


It's not just Point. A number of WIAC schools are over recruiting and creating a try-out situation. I don't have a problem with this as long as they inform the kid that they are not guaranteed a roster spot and must try out to make the team. Unfortunately, I don't believe some of the programs are informing the player of this during the recruitment process.

Not sure if this is also a problem with the private D-3's in WI...

I can guarentee you that coaches are not telling kids that they might get cut or never play. In the case of Jason Ziemer and Matt Smith look at the words bestowed upon them by Coach Semling upon their recruitment.

[link=http://athletics.uwsp.edu/news/2009/5/6/MBB_0506091213.aspx?path=mbball]http://athletics.uwsp.edu/news/2009/5/6/MBB_0506091213.aspx?path=mbball[/link]

This doesn't happen at the private schools in D3 because they can not over-recruit. Their schools are too expensive to allow them to bring 15-18 guys onto their roster. I'm sure they would if they could but the economics get in the way too much.


My reply is to both quotes.
Maybe I'm going about this wrong.....but does the coach serve his program well by guaranteeing spots to recruits?
Maybe this is just be, but when I was recruited into the WIAC....I never assumed I was guarenteed a spot on the team. I expected to earn it.

Also, maybe once these kids got into practice, the coach saw they really didn't fit/have the skills to play?
apeterson302
#14 Posted : Friday, December 04, 2009 5:19:55 AM(UTC)

All Conference
Posts: 688
High Fives: 7
High Fived: 8
Joined: 10/13/2005(UTC)
gotnogame wrote:


Wasn't attendence at last Point game 197? That sounds like a small high school game crowd. Maybe a couple of these players decided that working out 2-3 hours a day and traveling sometimes 6-8 hours on the road for a game with zero fan support all for no scholarship help ain't all its cracked up to be. Got to really love the game, your coach, and your teammates to make the college ball experience worthwhile. Is great for some but maybe being #15-18 on the bench for first year or two simply isn't worth it for others. Give credit to those who persevere in a situation like that but do, in some small way, question the sanity of it.



I'm not sure which game you are talking about, but if you are talking about the conference opener on Wednesday vs. UW-Stout, then I have no idea where you got those numbers from. It wasn't the home opener, the day before Thanksgiving was, and nobody was around for that game. Maybe the small attendance you are talking about was from that game. I was at the game on Wednesday, and the crowd was huge, much larger than 197. With the program we have here I can guarantee you there is a great amount of fan support.
PSN: speedypetey02
hoopdreamswi
#15 Posted : Friday, December 04, 2009 6:46:11 AM(UTC)
All State
Posts: 2,119
High Fives: 10
High Fived: 74
Joined: 6/12/2005(UTC)
197??? Honestly, make an effort. The UWSP men draw 500+ for their preseason intrasquad game. Heck, the UWSP WOMEN averaged 544 fans per home game last year.

Since you aren't capable of checking facts yourself, here's UWSP's attendance figures so far this season:

HOME:
vs. Lawrence - 1,120
vs. Stout - 1,430

AWAY:
at St. John's - 717
at Puget Sound - 801
at Edgewood - 673

NEUTRAL SITE:
vs. Whitworth - 350

[link=http://athletics.uwsp.edu/custompages/mbball/2009-10/teamcume.htm]http://athletics.uwsp.edu/custompages/mbball/2009-10/teamcume.htm[/link]
wcbsas
#16 Posted : Friday, December 04, 2009 6:46:20 AM(UTC)
WSNxtra: Member of WSN Xtra
All Conference
Posts: 1,274
High Fives: 4
High Fived: 25
Joined: 6/12/2005(UTC)
sportsfan wrote:


wcb_sas wrote:


3ptshooter111 wrote:


UWBadgers wrote:


After talking with a couple of players involved with this UWSP situation, it sounds as if it was a case of UW-SP over recuriting players and once they got to campus, they were told they were no longer wanted.


It's not just Point. A number of WIAC schools are over recruiting and creating a try-out situation. I don't have a problem with this as long as they inform the kid that they are not guaranteed a roster spot and must try out to make the team. Unfortunately, I don't believe some of the programs are informing the player of this during the recruitment process.

Not sure if this is also a problem with the private D-3's in WI...

I can guarentee you that coaches are not telling kids that they might get cut or never play. In the case of Jason Ziemer and Matt Smith look at the words bestowed upon them by Coach Semling upon their recruitment.

[link=http://athletics.uwsp.edu/news/2009/5/6/MBB_0506091213.aspx?path=mbball]http://athletics.uwsp.edu/news/2009/5/6/MBB_0506091213.aspx?path=mbball[/link]

This doesn't happen at the private schools in D3 because they can not over-recruit. Their schools are too expensive to allow them to bring 15-18 guys onto their roster. I'm sure they would if they could but the economics get in the way too much.


My reply is to both quotes.
Maybe I'm going about this wrong.....but does the coach serve his program well by guaranteeing spots to recruits?
Maybe this is just be, but when I was recruited into the WIAC....I never assumed I was guarenteed a spot on the team. I expected to earn it.

Also, maybe once these kids got into practice, the coach saw they really didn't fit/have the skills to play?


I understand your point and you are right ... the player has to earn his spot.

But the discussion revolves around the philosophy of recruiting (not open tryouts) 18 guys knowing that you are going to "run-off" 3 or 4 of them. It revolves around "promises" made during the recruiting process that are then forgotten, disregarded or excused.

Ziemer is a kid who can play. He was pursued by several different programs in the WIAC. And now he's "cut" from the team?

I understand not everyone works out. Some kids burn out. Some kids do not want to put the time and effort in. Some kids can't deal with the time committment required.

But I am also saying don't assume the the coach is completely innocent in the process either.
hoopdreamswi
#17 Posted : Friday, December 04, 2009 7:33:13 AM(UTC)
All State
Posts: 2,119
High Fives: 10
High Fived: 74
Joined: 6/12/2005(UTC)
I just find it humorous that you're trying to make an argument for lack of support for D-III basketball games and you're trying to use UW-Stevens Point and UW-Platteville, two of the best supported D-III programs in the country, to do it. There's a hundred other programs you could have looked at to make your point. Doesn't speak well for your general knowledge or credibility on D-III basketball.
hoopdreamswi
#18 Posted : Friday, December 04, 2009 8:28:15 AM(UTC)
All State
Posts: 2,119
High Fives: 10
High Fived: 74
Joined: 6/12/2005(UTC)
gotnogame wrote:


None the less there were only 197 fans at last Platteville game. But you are right. I, like 95% of people don't pay any attention whatsoever to D3 college ball other than an occasional glimpse at daily paper sports page to read a few names of players am familiar with from their high school ball days. Unless you play in major d1 ball you are playing for love of game not press or adulation thats for sure.


Nope, there were 197 fans at Viterbo last night. If that game was at Platteville they would have had over 1,000. That doesn't surprise me at all. Viterbo draws very little support in La Crosse.
hoopdreamswi
#19 Posted : Friday, December 04, 2009 9:45:47 AM(UTC)
All State
Posts: 2,119
High Fives: 10
High Fived: 74
Joined: 6/12/2005(UTC)
I'm hardly going to criticize Platteville fans for not travelling to a non-conference game on a Wednesday night.
sportsfan12
#20 Posted : Friday, December 04, 2009 10:16:15 AM(UTC)

All American
Posts: 6,063
High Fives: 36
High Fived: 157
Joined: 6/30/2005(UTC)
wcb_sas wrote:


sportsfan wrote:


wcb_sas wrote:


3ptshooter111 wrote:


UWBadgers wrote:


After talking with a couple of players involved with this UWSP situation, it sounds as if it was a case of UW-SP over recuriting players and once they got to campus, they were told they were no longer wanted.


It's not just Point. A number of WIAC schools are over recruiting and creating a try-out situation. I don't have a problem with this as long as they inform the kid that they are not guaranteed a roster spot and must try out to make the team. Unfortunately, I don't believe some of the programs are informing the player of this during the recruitment process.

Not sure if this is also a problem with the private D-3's in WI...

I can guarentee you that coaches are not telling kids that they might get cut or never play. In the case of Jason Ziemer and Matt Smith look at the words bestowed upon them by Coach Semling upon their recruitment.

[link=http://athletics.uwsp.edu/news/2009/5/6/MBB_0506091213.aspx?path=mbball]http://athletics.uwsp.edu/news/2009/5/6/MBB_0506091213.aspx?path=mbball[/link]

This doesn't happen at the private schools in D3 because they can not over-recruit. Their schools are too expensive to allow them to bring 15-18 guys onto their roster. I'm sure they would if they could but the economics get in the way too much.


My reply is to both quotes.
Maybe I'm going about this wrong.....but does the coach serve his program well by guaranteeing spots to recruits?
Maybe this is just be, but when I was recruited into the WIAC....I never assumed I was guarenteed a spot on the team. I expected to earn it.

Also, maybe once these kids got into practice, the coach saw they really didn't fit/have the skills to play?


I understand your point and you are right ... the player has to earn his spot.

But the discussion revolves around the philosophy of recruiting (not open tryouts) 18 guys knowing that you are going to "run-off" 3 or 4 of them. It revolves around "promises" made during the recruiting process that are then forgotten, disregarded or excused.

Ziemer is a kid who can play. He was pursued by several different programs in the WIAC. And now he's "cut" from the team?

I understand not everyone works out. Some kids burn out. Some kids do not want to put the time and effort in. Some kids can't deal with the time committment required.

But I am also saying don't assume the the coach is completely innocent in the process either.


I think you need to over recruit at the D3 level because with no schollie or commitment needed, a player could decide to go to a different school at the last minute or decide once there they cant/don't want to put in the time....or need a job/concentrate on studies more.
uwbadgers
#21 Posted : Saturday, December 05, 2009 3:45:57 AM(UTC)
Varsity
Posts: 94
High Fives: 1
High Fived: 0
Joined: 5/29/2005(UTC)
I talked to 2 out of the 3 players mentioned earlier in this thread and both were called into coach's office after the first few weeks of school. Coach told both of these players that because of the players who are already at their same positions and becuase of the skills they themselves bring to the table, they would no longer fit into the UWSP system and were told not to try out. Both players were left with the question of what happened between when they were being recruited heavily by UWSP a few months early and then? Both players plan on playing at new schools 2nd semester or next season.
I also know of a very similar situation that took place at UWSP last season involving a former top 40 player in the state who came into the program as a freshmen and before practices even started, who was told not to go out. This player also played the same position as the two players mentioned above.

3ptshooter111_old
#22 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2009 2:34:24 AM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
Posts: 86
High Fives: 0
High Fived: 0
Joined: 10/9/2007(UTC)
UWBadgers wrote:


I talked to 2 out of the 3 players mentioned earlier in this thread and both were called into coach's office after the first few weeks of school. Coach told both of these players that because of the players who are already at their same positions and becuase of the skills they themselves bring to the table, they would no longer fit into the UWSP system and were told not to try out. Both players were left with the question of what happened between when they were being recruited heavily by UWSP a few months early and then? Both players plan on playing at new schools 2nd semester or next season.
I also know of a very similar situation that took place at UWSP last season involving a former top 40 player in the state who came into the program as a freshmen and before practices even started, who was told not to go out. This player also played the same position as the two players mentioned above.



Find it hard to believe players in question did not have D3 skills. According to wishoops rankings/articles they were bonafide "scholarship" players. I don't have a problem with Point's recruiting tactics if these kids were told up-front they would have to make the team and earn a roster spot...They are a "class" program and I find it hard to believe they weren't honest with the kids since day 1.

Have a BIG problem looking at Point recruiting link. Very misleading. They should not release recruit info to media until these recruits have actually made the team. Very embarrassing to the player. They now have to explain what happened in the recruiting process and why they did not make the team. Don't imagine they would have kind words to say about Point if they were lied to...

I hope this is an isolated case and does not happen in other programs...
Players really need to be aware of how the recruiting process works. Just because you make a huge commitment to a school does necessarily mean the school is committed to you.
wcbsas
#23 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2009 6:43:26 AM(UTC)
WSNxtra: Member of WSN Xtra
All Conference
Posts: 1,274
High Fives: 4
High Fived: 25
Joined: 6/12/2005(UTC)
3ptshooter111 wrote:
Find it hard to believe players in question did not have D3 skills. According to wishoops rankings/articles they were bonafide "scholarship" players. I don't have a problem with Point's recruiting tactics if these kids were told up-front they would have to make the team and earn a roster spot...They are a "class" program and I find it hard to believe they weren't honest with the kids since day 1.
Point is:
a) These players did have D3 skills
b) I can promise you that these kids were told that they would part of the "invited" roster. I.E. they wouldn't have to go through try-outs to make the team.
c) I think Point is perceived as a "class" program because they have great fan support and they have more kids than most other WIAC schools who want to play for them. And I believe all three kids would tell you that the coach was NOT honest with them.

3ptshooter111 wrote:
Have a BIG problem looking at Point recruiting link. Very misleading. They should not release recruit info to media until these recruits have actually made the team. Very embarrassing to the player. They now have to explain what happened in the recruiting process and why they did not make the team. Don't imagine they would have kind words to say about Point if they were lied to...
UWSP wants it both ways. They want the publicity of getting recruits. They want to play up that they are D2-like.

Have you seen anything anywhere from the university that explains why these recruits did not make the roster? You won't because the university doesn't want the negative recruiting implications. They don't want other potential recruits seeing that they may get recruited but cut. The school and the coaches want their cake and they want to eat it too!

3ptshooter111 wrote:
I hope this is an isolated case and does not happen in other programs... Players really need to be aware of how the recruiting process works. Just because you make a huge commitment to a school does necessarily mean the school is committed to you.
It probably happens more here because UWSP has more kids who want to play for this program than UWRF or UWS or UWEC.
uwbadgers
#24 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2009 1:25:47 PM(UTC)
Varsity
Posts: 94
High Fives: 1
High Fived: 0
Joined: 5/29/2005(UTC)
This is my own personal opinion, but I believe that Stevens Point knows they can get the top players in the state each year. As a result, they tend to over recruit. The best defense is a good offense. What I mean by this, is if Stevens Point can get the maximum amount of top players in each class to come to Stevens Point each year, then they won’t be going to other WIAC schools. And as a result, the other WIAC won’t be getting top recruits.

For example, Jason Ziemer was recruited very hard by a lot of schools last season and it came down to Platteville and Stevens Point for him. Platteville has reported being to 15+ games of his last year and would have been their top recruit. Of course, Stevens Point would not want a player with Jason’s ability to go to one of their rivals. Jason might not fit the system Steven Point’s runs, but if they can get them to come to Stevens Point still, then they won’t have to face him two – three times a year against Platteville. As it worked out, Jason decided to go to Point and as soon as he stepped foot on the Stevens Point campus, he was told that he doesn’t fit their system and isn’t wanted.
If you think this is an isolated incident, then look at the recruits they have brought in the past few years and how many of those recruits never played a game for Stevens Point. I know college basketball isn’t’ for everyone and a lot of incoming freshmen end up not going out, but players Steven Point brings aren’t players who are borderline if they want to play college ball or not. They don’t just quit on their own.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Steven's Point doing this. They are one of the most successful D3 programs in the country year in year out and would give a lot of D2 schools a run for their money. They also have great facilities and community support. With that being said, I do think they get a way with a lot of dirty tactics in my mind. They have the right to do that, but I personally don't agree with that becuase they are cheating a lot of great athletes.
sp1174
#25 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2009 1:33:11 PM(UTC)
All Conference
Posts: 830
High Fives: 0
High Fived: 0
Joined: 10/2/2007(UTC)
I think this situation is very comparable to the experience I, and several others I know of, had with the football team here. They'll tell you just about anything to get you to come here and in the end, a lot of what the coaches say just isn't true. So, I don't think this is isolated to Point's basketball team.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi
Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages123>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 1.9.4 | YAF © 2003-2010, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 3.816 seconds.