skip navigation

2 Pages12>
Baseball Season
benchwarmer50_old
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2011 4:18:33 AM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fives: 40
High Fived: 13
Anybody have any thoughts or predictions on the upcoming baseball season? Games were supposed to be played this week but with the stupid Wisconsin weather they might not get started for 2 more weeks.
Sponsor  

thepackof4
#2 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 12:07:20 PM(UTC)
WSNxtra: Member of WSN Xtra
Varsity
High Fives: 0
High Fived: 0
Ripon is a preseason team that is Ranked 7th and Xavier is ranked 12th in D2. Looking at the way things were last year Ripon should probably be the favorite in the conference. They will have arguably the best pitcher in the conference in Jess. I don't really know what they have after Jess, Polcyn, and Ehrenberg. They will obviously need some other players to have a solid season.

Winneconne won the conference last year and not sure what they all lost other than Barnes. I did see Winneconne's JV play at Ripon last year and they had a decent team with a few good looking players atleast at the game I saw.

Xavier had a solid JV team last year not sure who they all will use off of there but the cupboard is not bare.

It looks like it should be a interesting year as all teams are going to need some kids to step up and take on bigger roles for their teams to be succesfull. Hopefully the postponed games do not cause too much of mess with pitching. If too many games get changed they will need to be scheduled closer together or into DH's and whatever team can put together some pitching for those situations will be in good shape.

1. Ripon
2. Little Chute
3. Winneconne
4. Waupaca
5. Winneconne
6. Xavier
7. Freedom
8. Clintonville
9. Berlin

hawksbb
#3 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 12:15:34 PM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
!.Xavier
2.Ripon
3.Clitonville
4.Little Chute
5.Waupaca
6.Winneconne
7.FVL
8.Freedom
9.Berlin

Ripon obviously is bringing back a lot of talent, but looking at Xavier's team, they have a solid lineup. They may have lost a large amount of pitching, but players will step up to fill those positions.
dannyrainbow
#4 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 11:27:09 AM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fives: 22
High Fived: 10
Have any teams played yet or has everything been cancelled to date?
formerwiacbaseballer
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 10:32:22 AM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 308
High Fived: 669
Everything has been canceled to date, and even some games for this Thursday have already been canceled. My guess is that anything north of Oshkosh is doubtful until next week at the earliest. If you have a NC game scheduled down south, you might be able to play like a couple of FVA schools did this weekend.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

"There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
thepackof4
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 10:52:32 AM(UTC)
Varsity
I friend of mine from Freedom said they are playing tonight in Ripon.
formerwiacbaseballer
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 4:54:39 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
Ripon and Freedom opened up the season last night, with Ripon winning 15-0. Jordan Jess shut the Irish bats down, allowing just on hit while striking out nine in the 5-inning victory. Michale Polcyn led the way offensively, with a triple and HR. Every Tiger batter scored at least one run.

Irish starting pitcher Cole Krueger was injured after getting stepped on in a play at first base, and had to leave during the first inning. It was all downhill after that, as the Irish pitchers combined to walk 12 Tiger hitters over the course of the next four innigs.

"There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
dannyrainbow
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:38:56 PM(UTC)
Varsity
Ripon and Xavier have shown why the majority of people picked them to finish in the top spot of the conference. The big surprise for me right now is Winneconne. Looks like the end of the basketball season is now carrying over to the diamond.
1 user high fived
tenspot22 on 4/16/2011(UTC)
thepackof4
#9 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2011 7:55:34 AM(UTC)
Varsity
I mentioned to someone the same thing about Winneconne early games results. From what I'm told they were down two of their top kids in every game other than Ripon which was their first game. The person I talked to from Winneconne, said they were both in Germany.
formerwiacbaseballer
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:57:38 AM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
thepackof4 wrote:
They will have arguably the best pitcher in the conference in Jess. I don't really know what they have after Jess, Polcyn, and Ehrenberg. They will obviously need some other players to have a solid season.

Winneconne won the conference last year and not sure what they all lost other than Barnes. I did see Winneconne's JV play at Ripon last year and they had a decent team with a few good looking players atleast at the game I saw.

You probably could have stopped the bolded sentence right after Jess. I believe this is Polcyn's first year pitching, and it is showing. In his first two starts, he has walked more batters than he has innings pitched. Against WInneconne he had 5 walks in 4 IP, and against Clintonville he had 6 walks in 5 IP. Obviously the walks didn't hurt him against Wineconne, but they did against Clintonville. You can't give teams extra base runners on a consistent basis and expect to win. I truly believe Ripon will win every time Jess starts, but after that they appear to be beatable. As far as Ehrenberg, has he even thrown yet this season? The only names I have seen in the paper that have taken the mound are Jess, Polcyn, and Gillett.

As far as Winneconne's JV team, don't put much weight on what you saw at Ripon last year. Ripon's JV team was "below average" (for lack of a better term) last season, and Winneconne's JV team wasn't much better. If there were three or four teams that were going to have kids contribute from the JV level last season, FVL, Xavier, Clintonville, and Waupaca all had solid squads.

justjon007
#11 Posted : Monday, May 09, 2011 9:17:49 AM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 5
Ripon continues their strong play and is ranked #5 in D2 with a 10-1 record. They are averaging about 9.6 runs per game and only allowing about 3.5 to their opponents.
Knowledge is good.
formerwiacbaseballer
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 5:37:21 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
Ripon has definitely proven to be the team to beat half way through the EVC slate. Besides getting the solid pitching that was expected from Jess, Polcyn has also gotten better with each start, including an impressive one-hit shutout against Xavier, who was undefeated in EVC play at the time.

Waupaca is currently riding a seven game win streak, six of which have come in conference play. They still have two games to play against Ripon, so they are right in the hunt for the EVC Championship as well.

Xavier had a rough week last week, which all but took them out of the running for a conference championship. They went 0-3, losing to Ripon to open and close the week, and also losing to Clintonville in between.

thepackof4
#13 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:49:54 PM(UTC)
Varsity
Ripon had setback tonight with a 7-5 loss to Winneconne. I was told Polcyn pitched the full game.
dannyrainbow
#14 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:51:50 AM(UTC)
Varsity
thepackof4 wrote:
Ripon had setback tonight with a 7-5 loss to Winneconne. I was told Polcyn pitched the full game.

Wow. Is this Winneconne's first win? Maybe they will start playing to their potential now but definately a disappointing loss for the Tigers.
justjon007
#15 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:52:15 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
Congrats to Ripon for winning the conference championship. Now on to the tournament!
Knowledge is good.
justjon007
#16 Posted : Friday, June 03, 2011 10:57:42 AM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
In sectional play Xavier takes on Sturgeon Bay and Ripon plays Waupun next Tuesday. Good luck to the last two conference teams still playing.
Knowledge is good.
justjon007
#17 Posted : Wednesday, June 08, 2011 8:39:36 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
Congratulations to Ripon for beating KML to advance to the state semi final against Notre Dame next Wednesday. Bring back the Gold Ball Tigers!!
Knowledge is good.
formerwiacbaseballer
#18 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 11:30:54 AM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
Ripon has to wait an extra day to play at State due to the rain, however it appears it was worth the wait.

Jordan Jess takes a no-hitter into the 6th inning while Ripon's offense comes out swinging to help the Tigers defeat Green Bay Notre Dame 8-0. Ripon moves on to face Spooner at 6:00 later today for the Division 2 State Championship.

Jess strikes out 13 on the day while walking three batters (all in the 5th inning) and gives up just an infield hit in the CG victory.

justjon007
#19 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:50:57 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
Ripon beats Spooner 12-2 on a four hitter by Michael Polcyn to win the state D2 title tonight in Appleton. Congratulations to the Tigers!
Knowledge is good.
formerwiacbaseballer
#20 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 9:39:41 AM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
So everyone knows that Jess is heading to Minnesota to play baseball next season, but what about Polcyn? Is he heading the D3 route or does he have some scholarship schools to consider as well?

formerwiacbaseballer
#21 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2011 4:31:04 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
Ripon (with help from players from Green Lake) follows up their WIAA Spring Baseball Championship by winning the Class A Legion State Title yesterday. They become the first team in Wisconsin history to win both a Spring Baseball Title and Legion State Title in the same season. They advance to participate in the Central Plains National Regionals this week which are being held in Virocqua and start on Thursday.

http://www.viroquabaseball.com/

formerwiacbaseballer
#22 Posted : Monday, August 08, 2011 12:33:27 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
Ripon finishes in 3rd Place at Central Plains National Regional over the weekend.

Ripon opened the tournament in dramatic fashion, scoring two runs in the top of the 7th to knock off off Ely, Minnesota 3-2.

In their second game, Ripon lost to the eventual runner-up Pahrump Valley, Nevada 8-6. They actually led 5-3 heading to the 7th inning, before University of Minnesota recruit Jordan Jess gave up five runs.

Their third game saw a match-up of Wisconsin teams as Ripon coasted to a 12-4 win over Richland Center.

Ripon finished the tournament on a sour note, as they dropped a 12-2 5-inning contest to eventual champion Eden Valley, a team from Watkins, MN.

dannyrainbow
#23 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:33:45 PM(UTC)
Varsity
Former WIAC Baseballer wrote:
Ripon finishes in 3rd Place at Central Plains National Regional over the weekend.

Ripon opened the tournament in dramatic fashion, scoring two runs in the top of the 7th to knock off off Ely, Minnesota 3-2.

In their second game, Ripon lost to the eventual champion Pahrump Valley, Nevada 8-6. They actually led 5-3 heading to the 7th inning, before University of Minnesota recruit Jordan Jess gave up five runs.

Their third game saw a match-up of Wisconsin teams as Ripon coasted to a 12-4 win over Richland Center.

Ripon finished the tournament on a sour note, as they dropped a 12-2 5-inning contest to eventual runner-up Eden Valley, a team from Watkins, MN.

I believe Eden Valley was the Champion and Nevada was runner up.
formerwiacbaseballer
#24 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:43:01 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
You're right.... I mixed them up, although with as dead as this board is I doubt more than 5 people even read the incorrect information.

1 user high fived
dannyrainbow on 8/11/2011(UTC)
dannyrainbow
#25 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:21:05 AM(UTC)
Varsity
Former WIAC Baseballer wrote:
You're right.... I mixed them up, although with as dead as this board is I doubt more than 5 people even read the incorrect information.

Most likely just you and I and maybe Jon.