skip navigation

3 Pages123>
Top AAU Teams/Players for 2011 summer to watch
midwesthoops
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 8:37:42 PM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
High Fives: 0
High Fived: 0
AAU Basketball always has alot of players switching teams, coaches starting new teams and new programs, so it seems like every year you have to look around to see who is playing for who.

Who would be some of the best teams in Wisconsin for:

17U

16U

15U

Top Teams, sleepers, dark horses and who are the leaders of those teams?
Sponsor  

madcityspecial42
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:24:31 PM(UTC)

WSNxtra: Member of WSN Xtra
All Conference
High Fived: 2
midwest hoops wrote:
AAU Basketball always has alot of players switching teams, coaches starting new teams and new programs, so it seems like every year you have to look around to see who is playing for who.

Who would be some of the best teams in Wisconsin for:

17U

16U

15U

Top Teams, sleepers, dark horses and who are the leaders of those teams?

I got out to the Badger City Classic in Middleton last weekend to watch some games.

Most surprising kid I saw was Daniel Jackson from Madison Memorial who plays for the WI Starz 16U team. I hadnt seen this kid play since the fall and it was night and day, he took over the game vs Randolph, who has a typical solid team at the 16U level. The Starz 16u does not really have any high profile players but Daniel Jackson was a stud, and Mark Miller seemed to agree. Hard to keep track of which Randolph player was doing what, but they are a team to watch, they beat the Starz and have some good size and shooting ability as well.

At the 17U level I saw the WI Starz play the WI Force and it was a really good back and forth game. Jester Weah and Brandon Ortiz had some really good plays, and they were playing up for the Force. From the Starz Demetrius Durley looked really good and was throwing down alley oop 2 hand dunks in practice with ease at like 5'10ish. Also Jon Winston from Beloit looks strong for them. Antoine Buchanon from Middleton is a freak athlete for the Force. The Starz had a lot of size which they really did not use that well, but the bigs look underdeveloped, but across the board they will be one of the biggest teams in WI no doubt. I dont know if the Force will play Brandon and Jester up all year, but they could do some damage on a different 16U team nationally.
stcroix1
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:05:57 AM(UTC)

Moderator Badge: WSN Moderator
WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 198
High Fived: 157
Wisconsin Playground Warriors (17U) are ranked #23 in the country by Five Star. They went 4-1 at the Knoxvegas tournament losing by 1 in the quarter finals...they only had 6 players all weekend.
HoF Class 2011

NRHSTIGER is a friend of mine...and you are no NRHSTIGER

Twitter: @stcroix64
1 user high fived
jmecca2007 on 5/3/2011(UTC)
jdub030
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:06:15 PM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
High Fives: 1
High Fived: 9
17s Playground has the most talent, but they've been out worked and beat by many state teams in the past. I think the Swing has the best team overall for this class

16s I think hands down is WI Playmakers, they have it all (posts,guard, stars, role players) and have been playing amazing without sharp shooter Matt Thomas (out with concussion)I can only imaging things go up for them once they are all healthy.. Playground has Bronson, Mecca, Wichman but I still take my 16s over them 9/10 times. Swing also can be very good with Fuller and Fischer playing on that squad full time.

15s-Actually can go either way between Ray Allen Select and Milwaukee Running Rebels, both are similar but different. MRR has all those hamilton boys and if they get out on the open court it's game is over, they are very long athletic and get to the cup time an time again. keep off the glass and don't allow penetration they are still very beat able. Ray Allen, is deep and have been together a long time, they like to get after you on defense get out and run, but can score in half court with the flex offense I don't think they have the most talented team, all though the rankings may show differently but they do have great chemistry, and out work a lot of teams.
But even with these two top teams, the others like PG Elite, TP Elite, Swing, DTA, Scholars, Playmakers, Blizzard-Reader they are all excellent teams I can't wait to see how well they do in the July Live period to showcase their talents
oracle
#5 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 6:40:20 AM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
High Fived: 4
Playground Warriors will beat the Playmakers 10/10. They went undefeated in Little Rock and won the 16U championships. Bronson Koenig named 'Joe Johnson Most Outstanding Player' for the tourney. They beat some huge and really athletic teams because they are so unselfish and play good defense. Playmakers are good but The warriors are the top team in Wisconsin.
1 user high fived
jmecca2007 on 5/3/2011(UTC)
hoopfan1
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:23:39 AM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
High Fives: 25
High Fived: 6
I agree playground would win 10/10. I have watched them play the last two years and without doubt playground is the better team. Didn't the playmakers go 0-3 at the NY2LA tourney a couple a weeks ago with Matt Thomas? Jdub030 sounds like a coach speaking from his heart and not his head.
lcraiders
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:41:38 AM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fived: 0
hoopfan wrote:
I agree playground would win 10/10. I have watched them play the last two years and without doubt playground is the better team. Didn't the playmakers go 0-3 at the NY2LA tourney a couple a weeks ago with Matt Thomas? Jdub030 sounds like a coach speaking from his heart and not his head.

Thomas played one game and they lost to Mac Irvin Fire who won the tournament, and then Thomas hasnt played since then.
jdub030
#8 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2011 10:55:04 AM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
hoopfan wrote:

I'm speaking from facts, 2 weeks ago they 16s won the St. Cloud invite going undefeated without Matt Thomas. And had each game won and should have won at NY2LA, easily the worst basketball we've played in the past 2 years, from what I've seen with this group. the 16s have excellent chemistry and can compete with anyone. and have beat playground before same with our 17s beat playground when they (playgorund) had a better team at the 15 and 16 age level. I'm not bashing the Playground Warriors they are a great team. You see them lose more games though from no discpline, and being out worked by other teams that aren't as skilled or talented. I have nothing against the 16s or 17s teams at all, and respect all the players in their program and in our state.
mavericks123
#9 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2011 12:27:35 PM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fived: 10
A lot of good teams to watch this summer. At the last NY2LA tourney a lot of good basketball at the 14U level. Here were some of the top players.

Hoyas: Steffan Brown was very impressive at the shooting guard position. Handles the ball well and can score in the lane.

Milwaukee Rebels: Big 6-7 kid Stone played well in the championship game. A force in the middle of the lane. Guard play was strong also.

Playground Elite: Two kids going to Racine Case next season were very strong. Darion King a 6-4 lefty forward is the real deal. Strong to the basket and his rebounding and position defense is better than any kid I have seen for his age. Tyrese Pinson 5-7 point guard who is very quick with the basketball and gets into the lane very well.

Great future for all of these kids.
oracle
#10 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 7:05:03 AM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
The starting five for playground is better than playmakers and they have more depth......They are ranked 18th in the nation by scout.com and will be higher ranked later. In little rock they beat 3 teams that were huge and more athletic because they play the game the right way. No brainer at this point warriors on top of playmakers. My friend was at st cloud tournament and said the competition there was not very good....certainly not better than little rock real deal.
jdub030
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2011 9:50:44 PM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
St. Cloud had great competition, with various programs. It's funny how you get very defensive over this 16s team I never was saying anything to knock them in anyway. Hopefully they get to play this year and then everyone can see how close they are or not close at all. I don't agree that the starting 5 is so much greater than the playmakers starting 5. Because if your grading Bronson against Matt Thomas, they play 2 different positions from each other. Bronson great point guard, Matt Thomas excellent 2 guard/combo guard. both are High Major d1 both are great to watch go head to head in the MVC. But Matt doesn't play the point, he can run the point if you want an Izaiah Thomas/Steph Marbury Scoring point guard. But he's really more effective like how Milwaukee used Ray Allen. Yeah he played point some, but his main priority was at the 2 guard position for scoring and that's one thing Matt Thomas can do VERY WELL is SCORE THE BASKETBALL.
stcroix1
#12 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2011 5:38:15 AM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
jdub030 wrote:
St. Cloud had great competition, with various programs. It's funny how you get very defensive over this 16s team I never was saying anything to knock them in anyway. Hopefully they get to play this year and then everyone can see how close they are or not close at all. I don't agree that the starting 5 is so much greater than the playmakers starting 5. Because if your grading Bronson against Matt Thomas, they play 2 different positions from each other. Bronson great point guard, Matt Thomas excellent 2 guard/combo guard. both are High Major d1 both are great to watch go head to head in the MVC. But Matt doesn't play the point, he can run the point if you want an Izaiah Thomas/Steph Marbury Scoring point guard. But he's really more effective like how Milwaukee used Ray Allen. Yeah he played point some, but his main priority was at the 2 guard position for scoring and that's one thing Matt Thomas can do VERY WELL is SCORE THE BASKETBALL.

I wouldn't try to compare Bronson to anyone currently playing. When it is all said and done, he may be the most highly recruited player EVER in the state of Wisconsin. What he does and the poise he has as a sophomore, I personally have never seen...and I've been following HS basketball for 30+ years.

Nothing against Matt Thomas, he is a stellar player, but a High Major D1 player? Who is he hearing from? Honestly, I haven't seen him play, but people I know say he is more of a mid-major type kid. Hope he does go big, that would be awesome for not only him, but the state.
HoF Class 2011

oracle
#13 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2011 5:53:24 AM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
I received the info about the competition at St Cloud from one of the parents of one of the kids on the playmakers team- and he's a basketball nut- so when he told me the competition was not nearly the caliber as the real deal in the rock then I would believe it. Why are you so defensive ? Matt Thomas has a scholly to No. Iowa,considered to be a mid-major....you really need to do you homework. I agree with St. Croix and everyone in the lacrosse area knows it too. I really like Matt and his game but he does not have all of tools that Koenig brings nor the athleticism. That is why he is being recruited by nearly all the big timers.
die4it
#14 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2011 9:00:15 AM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fives: 25
High Fived: 24
oracle wrote:
The starting five for playground is better than playmakers and they have more depth......They are ranked 18th in the nation by scout.com and will be higher ranked later. In little rock they beat 3 teams that were huge and more athletic because they play the game the right way. No brainer at this point warriors on top of playmakers. My friend was at st cloud tournament and said the competition there was not very good....certainly not better than little rock real deal.

Do you have a link for these rankings? I am just interested in looking at them. I can't find them on scout.com

Thanks
stcroix1
#15 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2011 9:15:02 AM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
Die4it wrote:
oracle wrote:

Do you have a link for these rankings? I am just interested in looking at them. I can't find them on scout.com

Thanks

Theres a little tabby think in the left hand side top to toggle between 16 and 17U. Playground 17's are 25th, 16's 18th.

http://www.fivestarbaske.../top25/6-16U-2011-04-20
HoF Class 2011

travis12
#16 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2011 9:35:16 AM(UTC)

WSN Admin
High Fives: 668
High Fived: 397
I believe Matt Thomas will end up a high major D1 player. Just because he doesn't have high major D1 offers as a sophomore doesn't mean he won't get them.
Brock Michael Wilson -- 6/30/2011; 9 lbs, 13 oz & 21 in

10/22/2010 -- 598,210 pageviews for WSN

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/travisWSN

#DBWH
afan1
#17 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2011 9:43:20 AM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 398
High Fived: 403
Minnesota is the latest to request a closer look at the 6-foot-1 guard. Wisconsin, after coach Bo Ryan saw Thomas score 24 points in a loss to Aquinas this season, also is still in the recruiting picture.

http://lacrossetribune.c...-93fc-001cc4c03286.html

"The name All-Northwest itself means something to readers of the Leader-Telegram." ?

DO JUSTICE, LOVE MERCY, WALK HUMBLY
jdub030
#18 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2011 2:29:09 PM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
Thomas has a few big 10 looks, wac, acc, and summit offers. He's high major and stock wil continue to rise. Matt Like Jesperson, he didn' wake up as a sophomore getting his 50 D1 offers he ended with. Paul earned his with hardwork and dedication to the game, just like Matt is doing now. Although Paul 6'7 and can stroke it from miles away and all the other tools an ACC player needs. Matt 6'2 still growing has the range, athletism, handling, and TRUE SCORING ABILITY to play at a High Major D1. Hopefully Bo can keep him in state. But he's going to have easily 10-15 high major schools after him going into the signing period.
stcroix1
#19 Posted : Sunday, May 01, 2011 4:52:56 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
Bronson was offered by Bill Self and Kansas today after the Jayhawk Invitational...what a great weekend of hoops!
HoF Class 2011

1 user high fived
nrhstiger on 5/1/2011(UTC)
nrhstiger
#20 Posted : Sunday, May 01, 2011 6:07:35 PM(UTC)

All Conference
High Fives: 132
High Fived: 179
A player that could be really helping himself so far this spring on the AAU circuit is Najeal McMillian of the Playground Warriors 17U team. Had a very nice weekend in Lawrence Kansas against some great competition. I would think he has the possibility of moving up the rankings rather rapidly. Congrats to Bronson Koenig on picking up another offer as he helped lead the Playground 16U team to a second place finish in Kansas after winning the tourney in Little Rock Arkansas 2 weekends ago.
Back to back MBC Boys Basketball Pick'em Champion.
Currently petitioning the USGA to bring the 2021 US Open to Pheasant Hills!
I have known coach40 since he was coach16.
treys4dayss
#21 Posted : Monday, May 02, 2011 10:38:29 AM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fived: 1
I would take 4-5 players over him who will rise this summer. Playground Warriors, if they have all of their players at each tournament, should not loose much, if any. Tokoto, Dekker, Nolan, Mader....

At the 16/u level, the Playmakers can play. They would not get swept 10/10 times from Playground. Playground has more talent, but the Playmakers are coached better and play with more heart. With that said, sometimes talent overtakes a lot of things. I would love to see these two teams play, as I am sure there is no love lost between the two programs.
Bring Back Ray Allen...
treys4dayss
#22 Posted : Monday, May 02, 2011 10:49:12 AM(UTC)
Varsity
Also, at the 16/u playmakers and the 16/u playground both lost to DreamVision this past weekend in Kansas. Playmakers lost by 21, Playground lost by 20. Pretty Even....
Bring Back Ray Allen...
oracle
#23 Posted : Monday, May 02, 2011 1:12:18 PM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
The playground warriors played in the championship game against the dream vision after they had to come through so many games to get there since they lost the game to them previously.....even at that they came out and were ahead the whole first half, but then it was tied at half. They started out strong and went ahead again before they lost all of what was left of their energy. Then the dream vision began to take them; to compare the two teams(warriors and playmakers) over playing the same opponent is simplistic thinking.....circumstances such as described above and many other factors come in to play. Only way to tell is if they play vs each other.
2 users high fived
nrhstiger on 5/2/2011(UTC), stcroix1 on 5/2/2011(UTC)
treys4dayss
#24 Posted : Monday, May 02, 2011 1:58:19 PM(UTC)
Varsity
Your right, DreamVision had multiple "bye"s and their first game was against Playground. Both teams played multiple games over the weekend. That is just an excuse. Also, if they played 1 game, that might not say who is better. Thats why NBA playoffs schedules are series. There is no way that Butler was a top 2 team in college. They got it rolling at the right time. Same can be said at this level. Would Madison Memorial beat De pere everytime? I just dont like when people throw out excuses of "Well we played a few games before hand..."

Both teams are tremendous talented. Playground has more individual talent, however, playmakers are better coached.
Bring Back Ray Allen...
afan1
#25 Posted : Monday, May 02, 2011 2:30:59 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 398
High Fived: 403
treys4dayss wrote:
Your right, DreamVision had multiple "bye"s and their first game was against Playground.

04/29 9:40 PM
Dreamvision 61 Howard Pulley White 39

Might want to look into that..They seemed to have played HP White the night before. It was not their first game.
"The name All-Northwest itself means something to readers of the Leader-Telegram." ?

DO JUSTICE, LOVE MERCY, WALK HUMBLY