skip navigation

3 Pages123>
2012 Football Spring/Summer Discussion
aloveforfootball12
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2012 12:42:48 PM(UTC)
WSNxtra: Member of WSN Xtra
All Conference
High Fives: 52
High Fived: 132
Nothing wrong with having some friendly discussion now that the snow is melting, the sun is shinning strong and bright, the air is getting warmer, and the smell of fresh cut grass is right around the corner and track season is getting underway.

Over the next few months I am going to try and do a pre-season analysis based on the records of the sophomore teams, returning starters, and program history to try and guess how the season might look for 2012.

The first conference I am going to look at is the Valley Football Associate - South division.

The favorite to win the division, in my opinion, will be Marshfield. The sophomore team went 8-1, while out-gaining the team they lost to, Fond Du Lac, by over 200 yards. Marshfield will be opening the season with a very difficult game with D.C. Everest.

Oshkosh West appeared to have a competitive teams coming up and will push for a playoff spot in 2012.

Wisconsin Rapids should make the playoffs next season, but may or may not be as strong next season with their graduating All-American linebacker from the 2011 season. Rapids starts the 2012 season with an up and improving Wausau East program that shocked everybody by making the playoffs under their first season with their new head coach.

Stevens Point will improve from last season, but will be in a battle to finish second.

Programs that I feel should compete for the playoffs:

Marshfield
Stevens Point
Wisconsin Rapids
Oshkosh West
Menasha

I love football. My twitter account: https://twitter.com/wifootballfan
Sponsor  

coachw12
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2012 2:36:41 PM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fives: 24
High Fived: 128
the only talk about spring/summer should be is when is the WIAA going to get on board with spring and summer football like they have in the South. It would catch wisconsin high school football up with other states. Illinois has 25 days in the summer where you can put the pads on. Minnesota has relatively unrestricted time in the summer.

Spring and summer football would improve the level of play in wisconsin which would lead to more national attention and scholarship opportunities for our states players.
aloveforfootball12
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2012 2:47:38 PM(UTC)
All Conference
Coach W wrote:
the only talk about spring/summer should be is when is the WIAA going to get on board with spring and summer football like they have in the South. It would catch wisconsin high school football up with other states. Illinois has 25 days in the summer where you can put the pads on. Minnesota has relatively unrestricted time in the summer.

Spring and summer football would improve the level of play in wisconsin which would lead to more national attention and scholarship opportunities for our states players.

I think WI should do something similar to what Illinois does. They already allow 5 days, so why not expand it to an entire month M-F? I don't understand the reasoning for limiting player development when it comes to contact time with teammates.

7 on 7 leagues are fine, but they don't allow complete development.
aloveforfootball12
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2012 7:37:30 PM(UTC)
All Conference
Here is the BRC.....

My pick as the favorite to win the BRC in 2012 is Hudson. From my understanding Hudson's JV team beat Menomonie's JV team. The sophomore team was very competitive as well.

I see the top three teams next season being:

Hudson
Menomonie
Chippewa Falls

The only team I know in detail is Menomonie so I will cover them in this post and the other teams at a later time after I learn more about their teams for next season. There were about 21 or 22 juniors on last year's varsity team and that is a low number for the program. They graduate their QB, FB, RB, WRs, most of their OL, their entire DL, and most of their defensive backfield players. I expect a couple of position changes for the sophomores coming up and some juniors.

I would not be surprised to see more juniors starting than normal. I expect them to be more run oriented next season, and that will not bold well in the playoffs if that is what they decide to do on offense.

I am very interested to see if there is progress made for the Eau Claire North program.

mockingbird
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2012 8:41:07 PM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fives: 2
High Fived: 77
Coach W wrote:

Are you serious?
1 user high fived
peacock1 on 5/5/2012(UTC)
intheknow
#6 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2012 7:19:59 PM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fives: 10
High Fived: 18
Coach W wrote:

I have coached in Wis 11 years prior to coaching just over the border in Illinois this past year, and I am sorry to say, Illinois schools as a whole are farther along than Wisconsin schools due to the extra days in the summer.

We went 24 days this past year prior to August, made it to the quarter finals and the kids werent burnt out, the coaches on the other hand lol.

Now, also to put to rest the notion of multiple sport athletes wont come out if they practice all summer then play an entire season.... Well here are some numbers for you.

1350 enrollment

121 football players
39 winter sport atheletes from football. 3 of them started on the sectional runner up Boys Basketball team.

51 Spring sport athletes, Track & Baseball. Track has been Conference Champ 5 years running.

If the kids want to do it they will, if they dont.... They will use the excuse of its to much. I would never have believed it if I wasnt a part of it. It does work an the kids benefit from it 100%

Also, we had 2 players go D1, 2 go D2 on scholorships and 2 are going to UW Whiterwater, the extra work realy did help them I truely believe it

2 users high fived
voiceofreason on 3/12/2012(UTC), skywalker52 on 4/14/2012(UTC)
fb30
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:44:04 PM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fives: 23
High Fived: 37
InTheKnow wrote:
Coach W wrote:

I have coached in Wis 11 years prior to coaching just over the border in Illinois this past year, and I am sorry to say, Illinois schools as a whole are farther along than Wisconsin schools due to the extra days in the summer.

We went 24 days this past year prior to August, made it to the quarter finals and the kids werent burnt out, the coaches on the other hand lol.

Now, also to put to rest the notion of multiple sport athletes wont come out if they practice all summer then play an entire season.... Well here are some numbers for you.

1350 enrollment

121 football players
39 winter sport atheletes from football. 3 of them started on the sectional runner up Boys Basketball team.

51 Spring sport athletes, Track & Baseball. Track has been Conference Champ 5 years running.

If the kids want to do it they will, if they dont.... They will use the excuse of its to much. I would never have believed it if I wasnt a part of it. It does work an the kids benefit from it 100%

Also, we had 2 players go D1, 2 go D2 on scholorships and 2 are going to UW Whiterwater, the extra work realy did help them I truely believe it

As long as it doesn't limit involvement in spring sports, which based on your comment, it doesn't seem to, I'm for it. The well run football programs already make certain the kids are working out.
vici
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:59:21 AM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
High Fives: 0
High Fived: 1
My only concern as a coach is that if we created a spring football window, will this open up other sports wanting the same, such as a fall basketball practice. We have a number of two-sport and three sport kids. I wouldn't want our players have to participate in a fall basketball practice in the middle of our season. If we have a spring season, and required our kids to participate during the baseball or track season, I have to believe that the other sports would want to do the same during our season.
fondy279
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 8:36:19 AM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
High Fives: 0
High Fived: 0
aloveforfootball12 wrote:
Nothing wrong with having some friendly discussion now that the snow is melting, the sun is shinning strong and bright, the air is getting warmer, and the smell of fresh cut grass is right around the corner and track season is getting underway.

Over the next few months I am going to try and do a pre-season analysis based on the records of the sophomore teams, returning starters, and program history to try and guess how the season might look for 2012.

The first conference I am going to look at is the Valley Football Associate - South division.

The favorite to win the division, in my opinion, will be Marshfield. The sophomore team went 8-1, while out-gaining the team they lost to, Fond Du Lac, by over 200 yards. Marshfield will be opening the season with a very difficult game with D.C. Everest.

Oshkosh West appeared to have a competitive teams coming up and will push for a playoff spot in 2012.

Wisconsin Rapids should make the playoffs next season, but may or may not be as strong next season with their graduating All-American linebacker from the 2011 season. Rapids starts the 2012 season with an up and improving Wausau East program that shocked everybody by making the playoffs under their first season with their new head coach.

Stevens Point will improve from last season, but will be in a battle to finish second.

Programs that I feel should compete for the playoffs:

Marshfield
Stevens Point
Wisconsin Rapids
Oshkosh West
Menasha

I think Fondy will be in the mix there JV team was vary good last year and now they have the coach,s to know what to do with it.
aloveforfootball12
#10 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 8:43:11 AM(UTC)
All Conference
I agree. They could very well compete for a playoff spot with the new coaching staff and the talent coming up.
coachw12
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 1:12:51 PM(UTC)
All Conference
Vici wrote:
My only concern as a coach is that if we created a spring football window, will this open up other sports wanting the same, such as a fall basketball practice. We have a number of two-sport and three sport kids. I wouldn't want our players have to participate in a fall basketball practice in the middle of our season. If we have a spring season, and required our kids to participate during the baseball or track season, I have to believe that the other sports would want to do the same during our season.

basketball coaches r the biggest violators of WIAA contact policies. they come open the gym and then stick around to coach their kids up. not to mention all successful basketball programs play year round anyway.

I cannot wait until AAU football gets big.
coachw12
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 1:17:45 PM(UTC)
All Conference
Mockingbird wrote:
Coach W wrote:

Are you serious?

serious as a heart attack. you know why the Universities in the SEC compete for national titles? every state in the SEC has spring and summer football practice. you know why texas and california generate large scholarship numbers is they have spring and summer football practice.

you know why Minnesota high school football will pass wisconsin high school football in the next decade it is because of summer football practice.

In texas you make a choice, you either r a football player or you r an athlete on one of the other sports teams. now r there exceptions to the rule certainly. you might have a stud baseball player or track athlete who will be excused from spring ball. In the south they understand football is americas sport and it is the game people want to see.
coachw12
#13 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 1:19:46 PM(UTC)
All Conference
Vici wrote:

does basketball not have open gym in the summer. does baseball not have american legion or other teams in the summer. like it or not summer is footballs time yet other sports seem to have no problem taking up football players time.

like it or not you have to compete for athletes.
aloveforfootball12
#14 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:33:22 PM(UTC)
All Conference
Coach W wrote:
Vici wrote:

I cannot wait until AAU football gets big.

I would love to have AAU football become bigger.
vinnys77
#15 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 7:58:29 PM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
High Fives: 1
High Fived: 2
if there was an AAU football, it would compleatly destroy a young man's body. the amount of torn ACL's would be devistating! football is a great sport but it is not ment to be played year round by young men who's bodies are still growing.
2 users high fived
dfnewburry on 3/18/2012(UTC), sportsfan1005 on 4/12/2012(UTC)
coachw12
#16 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 9:28:54 PM(UTC)
All Conference
vinnys77 wrote:
if there was an AAU football, it would compleatly destroy a young man's body. the amount of torn ACL's would be devistating! football is a great sport but it is not ment to be played year round by young men who's bodies are still growing.

and the pounding of baskbetball in the knees, hips, lower back and ankles is okay?

AAU football is competitive 7 on 7 passing league football. It is huge across texas. 7 on 7 tournaments on the weekends, leagues during the week. It is so much different then any 7 on 7 up hear.
coachw12
#17 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 9:29:49 PM(UTC)
All Conference
vinnys77 wrote:

and the pounding of baskbetball in the knees, hips, lower back and ankles is okay?

AAU football is competitive 7 on 7 passing league football. It is huge across texas. 7 on 7 tournaments on the weekends, leagues during the week. It is so much different then any 7 on 7 up hear.
dfnewburry
#18 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 11:54:21 PM(UTC)

All State
High Fives: 241
High Fived: 189
I am all for creating programs for young people but I am not for creating recruiting tools .

Let the young people enjoy the best part of their lives as they choose without adults thinking for them .
DIGNITAS
To live with dignity
To die with dignity

aloveforfootball12
#19 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 6:12:11 AM(UTC)
All Conference
dfnewburry wrote:
I am all for creating programs for young people but I am not for creating recruiting tools .

Let the young people enjoy the best part of their lives as they choose without adults thinking for them .

You need the skill set, potential for more growth, and size to even get recruited by a D1A school. We are talking about football, not basketball where there are a ton more programs.

I have seen a good number of players in Wisconsin that could have easily developed into D1A recruits with more development in the off-season.

People who use the potential injury excuse also use that same mentality in other aspects of life.....but we could lose money on that investment....the business might not survive since we may not make payroll or become profitable.....but if I don't apply to PA school at the same time as med school I will have to work for a year if I don't get in.
westfalls
#20 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 6:17:39 AM(UTC)

All Conference
High Fives: 3
High Fived: 20
Coach W wrote:

I think WI should do something similar to what Illinois does. They already allow 5 days, so why not expand it to an entire month M-F? I don't understand the reasoning for limiting player development when it comes to contact time with teammates.

I am guessing it is coming from school districts. It would mean money. Coaches would have to be paid more and opperating costs would go up. In tight budget times many small schools especially in the state cannot pay the extra money. I am guessing many coaches wouldn't want the extra month of their summer taken away. They give up August already.
aloveforfootball12
#21 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 6:38:08 AM(UTC)
All Conference
Westfalls wrote:
Coach W wrote:

I am guessing it is coming from school districts. It would mean money. Coaches would have to be paid more and opperating costs would go up. In tight budget times many small schools especially in the state cannot pay the extra money. I am guessing many coaches wouldn't want the extra month of their summer taken away. They give up August already.

The coaches are already in the weightrooms in the morning. I don't see why they can't have the players show up at 7:00 am, practice for an hour or an hour and a half and then lift weights for an hour. They could be in and out by 9:00 am. Most high school kids are not even up by then. Farmers are usually not out in the fields that early either....usually 10ish.

I don't know if it would increase costs or not. Personally, I wouldn't allow finances to take away from development. If a school is so short on cash, then go out in the community and ask for five dollars from a few families to help support the youth of their community. The community where my wife is from has raised four times the funds my alma mater has over the years since my wife's alma mater is more active and does things better.
hueby
#22 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 8:07:30 AM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fives: 54
High Fived: 55
Here are a few things I wanted to add:

• Population. Most of the main football states are a hek of a lot bigger than Wisconsin. There is strength in numbers. Michigan is almost twice as large, while Ohio and Illinois are more than twice our size. Texas and California are about 5 times larger. Minnesota…I’m not too sure where Wisconsin ranks up with them in football. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought in rankings that evaluated the quality of football Wisconsin was higher than Minnesota?

• Another advantage some southern schools/Texas has is the weather and schedule.

• I took this from the Cedar Hill High School, Tx website. Here are the boys athletic programs they offer, and the season:

Football- mid August through early November. 11 game regular season schedule
Cross Country- late August to mid November

Swimming- early October to late February
Golf- is mid December to early April
Tennis- is mid-December to early April
Basketball- mid November to mid February
Powerlifting- regular season is 6 weeks from mid-January to early March. Then the state meet in late March.

Soccer- is from January through March (there's your kicking game  )
Baseball- early February to late April. Play 31 games.
Track and Field- season is actually late February to mid April for most. Only 8 regular season meets. 3 extra for those who make it to state. The state meet is in mid-May.

No wrestling or hockey programs, no club sports like rugby and lacrosse. Maybe someone out there with knowledge of Texas football could fill in the blanks on other things they do for football.
aloveforfootball12
#23 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 8:30:33 AM(UTC)
All Conference
Offseason football rules for Alabama, California, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas.

Alabama High School Athletic Association (AHSA)
• Players can attend combines with pads and contact.
• In spring, teams operate under 50 percent rule in which no more than six players can go to one combine together.
• Ten days allocated for spring training and a spring game or jamboree.
• In summer, teams have seven play dates in which they can play other schools affiliated with that state's high school association.

California Interscholastic Federation (CIF)
Southern Section (largest of 10 sections within CIF)
• No player limitations outside of the season.

Sac-Joaquin Section (second largest)
• Players can attend combines with pads and contact.
• Teams can go to one camp with equipment during the summer for a maximum of five consecutive days.
• No pads and equipment can be used in the spring.

Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA)
• Participation in 7-on-7 and other forms of non-contact football are limited to the months of June and July.
• Teams operate under the 50 percent rule in which no more than five players from one team can participate in non-interscholastic contests, tryouts, training or practices in the offseason.
• Teams may practice non-contact football for 10 days during the months of June and July.

Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association (PIAA)
• Players and teams can go to offseason events with no contact.
• Pads and helmets can be issued, but can't be used for contact drills. Pads are available for protection when practicing with tackling dummies and to help replicate throwing motions and catches.

Texas University Interscholastic League (UIL)
• No player limitations outside of the season.
sabor67
#24 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 2:30:18 PM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fives: 1
High Fived: 19
Coach W wrote:
vinnys77 wrote:

R these 7 on 7 leagues paded or non-paded?
It's not how you play the game / It's not whether you win or lose / It's how you play the game that determines whether you win or lose!!
coachw12
#25 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:17:54 PM(UTC)
All Conference
SABOR67 wrote:
Coach W wrote:
vinnys77 wrote:

R these 7 on 7 leagues paded or non-paded?

7 on 7 is non padded and is meant for skill development.