skip navigation

Open Enrollment Questions
eastbeast
#1 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2012 8:46:20 PM(UTC)
WSNxtra: Member of WSN Xtra
Varsity
High Fives: 26
High Fived: 23
When does it start, when does it end and any juicy rumours about transfers out there?
Sponsor  

iwishiwasaballer
#2 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2012 10:21:53 PM(UTC)

All Conference
High Fives: 167
High Fived: 528
East Beast wrote:
When does it start, when does it end and any juicy rumours about transfers out there?

from the oe website

The open enrollment application period for the 2012-13 school year is from February 6-April 30, 2012. The application period closes at 4:00 p.m. on April 30, 2012.

more info can be found here http://dpi.wi.gov/sms/psctoc.html

just a someone who loves sports
i do what i can to eliminate missing scores/stats/rosters
feel free to follow me
blade12
#3 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 1:10:11 PM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fives: 15
High Fived: 104
Can someone enlighten me on the ruels of a player and his familiy physically moving after their soph yr?

I have heard rumors of this happing in the area but am unclear if the WIAA allows that to happen if the move distance is very short.

TIA

travis12
#4 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 1:45:53 PM(UTC)

WSN Admin
High Fives: 668
High Fived: 397
A physical move after soph year still results in an automatic one-year playing ban. However, the student and their family can appeal for a waiver. It generally is approved by the WIAA and the transfer is granted. However, there have been instances where a family has moved a short distance and the WIAA has denied the transfer request. It seems this is usually a situation where a family moves a short distance from one apartment to anther and the WIAA deems the move athletically-motivated.
Brock Michael Wilson -- 6/30/2011; 9 lbs, 13 oz & 21 in

10/22/2010 -- 598,210 pageviews for WSN

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/travisWSN

#DBWH
blade12
#5 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 2:22:32 PM(UTC)
All Conference
travis wrote:
A physical move after soph year still results in an automatic one-year playing ban. However, the student and their family can appeal for a waiver. It generally is approved by the WIAA and the transfer is granted. However, there have been instances where a family has moved a short distance and the WIAA has denied the transfer request. It seems this is usually a situation where a family moves a short distance from one apartment to anther and the WIAA deems the move athletically-motivated.

Thanks Travis.

Is it really as simple as an appeal for a waiver. If the family bought a house will the WIAA view that as different than an apartment? Granted, it is much easier and less permanent to change apartments than houses.

If what I had heard a few months ago is true, that would be an interesting development. We'll see I guess.

peckulease
#6 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 2:28:06 PM(UTC)

All American
High Fives: 141
High Fived: 231
Blade wrote:
travis wrote:

Thanks Travis.

Is it really as simple as an appeal for a waiver. If the family bought a house will the WIAA view that as different than an apartment? Granted, it is much easier and less permanent to change apartments than houses.

If what I had heard a few months ago is true, that would be an interesting development. We'll see I guess.

Why even say that? Unless you are going to tell us, just keep the rumor to yourself.
A Playoff will be much more fair than the BCS.
No matter what happens, Rodgers GREATER THAN Favre.
St. Louis Cardinals = Classless
travis12
#7 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 3:30:26 PM(UTC)

WSN Admin
High Fives: 668
High Fived: 397
Blade wrote:
travis wrote:

Thanks Travis.

I don't know what the WIAA would do in any particular transfer appeal.
Brock Michael Wilson -- 6/30/2011; 9 lbs, 13 oz & 21 in

10/22/2010 -- 598,210 pageviews for WSN

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/travisWSN

#DBWH
eastbeast
#8 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 6:06:20 PM(UTC)
Varsity
What about a potential transferee after their freshman year after 1 year of varsity competition, within the same conference? Are all these rules WIAA specific, or can a conference have a higher standard?
blade12
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:27:09 PM(UTC)
All Conference
peckulease wrote:
Blade wrote:
travis wrote:

Thanks Travis.

Why even say that? Unless you are going to tell us, just keep the rumor to yourself.

I did keep it to myself. I am not going to spread any rumor about what I heard. I do not know if it is true or not. If and when it is confirmed or public, I may return to this thread or others and comment on it. Until then I was just trying to learn what I could about WIAA rules and a possible move of a player to a different and nearby SD after his Soph yr.
eastbeast
#10 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 2:51:32 AM(UTC)
Varsity
So a freshman is free to transfer without losing eligibility? So could, for example, Dimaond Stone transfer to Germantown and play immediately next year on open enrollment?
mickjagger
#11 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 4:29:46 PM(UTC)

All American
High Fives: 2767
High Fived: 972
East Beast wrote:
So a freshman is free to transfer without losing eligibility? So could, for example, Dimaond Stone transfer to Germantown and play immediately next year on open enrollment?

Yes. Up until the end of a player's sophomore year, he or she can transfer without losing eligibilty.
pk26
#12 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 9:45:32 PM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fives: 0
High Fived: 10
East Beast wrote:
and any juicy rumours about transfers out there?

Just wondering, are you an exchange student?
From what country?

Don't mind me asking....
pk26
#13 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 9:45:45 PM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fived: 10
Duplicate post.

Nice to know East has some passionate fans who aren't American...
macandcheese
#14 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 1:59:55 PM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fives: 4
High Fived: 67
Will the ellenson bros. be playing for Rice lake next season?
wiggum
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2012 11:05:23 AM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fives: 7
High Fived: 27
Blade wrote:
travis wrote:

Thanks Travis.

That is a fact that the WIAA sees buying a house as a permanent move as opposed to an apartment. The Bowers kid from Germantown had his appeal denied based on an apartment move a couple of years ago. I know a family who wanted to send their HS aged son to a neighboring district and the only way the WIAA would allow him to remain eligible was that the family purchase a house in the new district, not even rent while they built.
eastbeast
#16 Posted : Saturday, April 07, 2012 1:42:48 PM(UTC)
Varsity
Mick Jagger wrote:
East Beast wrote:

Yes. Up until the end of a player's sophomore year, he or she can transfer without losing eligibilty.

Seems arbitrary. Allows teams to be built with a bunch of good sophomores living in a tight geographic area where an open enrollment wouldn't be much of a burden on the family.
focus1
#17 Posted : Saturday, April 07, 2012 2:58:47 PM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fived: 0
East Beast wrote:
Mick Jagger wrote:
East Beast wrote:

Seems arbitrary. Allows teams to be built with a bunch of good sophomores living in a tight geographic area where an open enrollment wouldn't be much of a burden on the family.

I don't beleive this to be the rule any longer. I think you can only transfer without losing any varsity eligibility until you start your sophomore year, which I believe starts when you begin a fall sport at said school. I am not 100%, but I am pretty sure that you are not allowed the first 4 semesters anymore like it used to be. Hoever, you can transfer prior to the start of sophomore year without any loss of eligibility.
satinwood
#18 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:31:18 PM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fived: 117
Focus wrote:
East Beast wrote:
Mick Jagger wrote:
East Beast wrote:

I don't beleive this to be the rule any longer. I think you can only transfer without losing any varsity eligibility until you start your sophomore year, which I believe starts when you begin a fall sport at said school. I am not 100%, but I am pretty sure that you are not allowed the first 4 semesters anymore like it used to be. Hoever, you can transfer prior to the start of sophomore year without any loss of eligibility.

Here it all is...

Section 3 – Transfers
A. A full time student may be afforded up to eight consecutive semesters of interscholastic eligibility upon entry into Grade 9.
Transferring schools at any time may result in restrictions being imposed on eligibility, or in some cases a denial of eligibility.
For the purpose of this rule, attendance at one day of school and/or attendance at one athletic practice shall determine
‘beginning of school year.’ These additional provisions relate to transfer cases:
1) A student who transfers from any school into a member school after the fourth consecutive semester following entry
into Grade 9 shall be ineligible for competition for one calendar year, unless the transfer is made necessary by a total
change in residence by parent(s). The calendar year (365 days) will be determined from a student’s first day of
attendance at the new school.
2) Open enrolled and/or tuition paying students entering 9th and/or 10th grade at the beginning of the school year and who
are within the first four consecutive semesters of high school will be afforded unrestricted eligibility provided all other
rules governing student eligibility are met.
3) Open enrolled and/or tuition paying students entering 11th and/or 12th grade as transfer students are ineligible to
compete for one calendar year.
4) 9th grade students who transfer after the beginning of the school year and with written consent from both schools
directly involved shall be restricted to non-varsity opportunities for the remainder of the school year. Restrictions are
removed upon entering 10th grade.
5) 10th grade students who transfer after the beginning of the school year and with written consent from both schools
directly involved shall be restricted to non-varsity opportunities for one calendar year (365 days beginning with first
day of attendance at the new school).
6) In the event of divorce or legal separation, whether pending or final, residence at the beginning of the school year shall
determine eligibility for students entering 9th and/or 10th grade. In situations involving transfer after the fourth
consecutive semester following entry into grade 9 the student is ineligible to compete for one calendar year.
7) District policies with respect to intra-district transfer do not supersede WIAA transfer rules in situations involving post-
4th semester transfers. Intra-district transfers occurring after the fourth consecutive semester following entry into grade
9 result in the student being ineligible for competition for one calendar year (365 days beginning with first day of
attendance at the new school).
8) Unless transfer, including an accompanying change of parents residence, is effective at the outset of a semester, a
student cannot establish eligibility at his/her new school until the fifth calendar day of such transfer.
9) If within the first four consecutive semesters following entry into grade 9, a student who transfers more than once in
any given school year shall be ineligible for all interscholastic competition for the remainder of that current school year
and will be eligible for non-varsity opportunities only for the balance of one calendar year. In situations involving
transfer after the fourth consecutive semester following entry into grade 9 the student is ineligible to compete for one
calendar year.
10) A student may not have eligibility in more than one member school at the same time. A parent or parents who move
from a primary residence within one school’s attendance boundaries, to a secondary residence within another school’s
attendance boundaries, may be required by the Board of Control to provide evidence of a total move.
11) A student who transfers from any school, whether or not a member school, with a status of ineligibility for disciplinary
reasons, academic reasons and/or as a result of another State Association's regulation or sanction, retains such status at
his/her new school for the same period as decreed by the former school.
12) No eligibility will be granted for a student whose residence within a school’s attendance boundaries, with or without
parents, or whose attendance at a school has been the result of undue influence (special consideration due to athletic
ability or potential) on the part of any person, whether or not connected with the school.