skip navigation

3 Pages<123>
Badgers O-Line Coach Let Go
highlightfilm
#26 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 1:03:06 PM(UTC)

WSNxtra: Member of WSN Xtra
Varsity
High Fives: 57
High Fived: 77
Sometimes, we make a bad hire regardless of the due diligence conducted prior to hiring and we need to cut the ties. That timing of severing is never good for either party. Anyone that has hired employees has had this happen at one time or another regardless of how good of an evaluator you are.
The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching.
John Wooden

2 users high fived
dfnewburry on 9/10/2012(UTC), mickjagger on 9/10/2012(UTC)
dfnewburry
#27 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 1:09:07 PM(UTC)

All State
High Fives: 241
High Fived: 189
highlightfilm wrote:
Sometimes, we make a bad hire regardless of the due diligence conducted prior to hiring and we need to cut the ties. That timing of severing is never good for either party. Anyone that has hired employees has had this happen at one time or another regardless of how good of an evaluator you are.

Totaaly agree with your post but will we hear Bret B admit HE made a bad hire ?
Understanding is a three-edged sword. Your side, my side, and the truth...J. Michael Straczynski

afan1
#28 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 1:23:40 PM(UTC)

Moderator Badge: WSN Moderator
WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 398
High Fived: 404
Markuson spent the last 14 years coaching offensive lines in the Southeastern Conference at Arkansas and Mississippi. Since 2003, he coached six different players who earned All-America honors. Even BB called his resume impressive when he hired him.

IMO, it was not a bad hire. That is an easy way out. Do you think he suddenly forgot how to coach ? Or, it a case where some of his linemen did not like the NEW way or the NEW coach ? When a head coach starts listening to his players about who should coach them is the day that he starts digging his own grave. ( so to speak).
"The name All-Northwest itself means something to readers of the Leader-Telegram." ?

DO JUSTICE, LOVE MERCY, WALK HUMBLY
diener34
#29 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 1:47:32 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 374
High Fived: 944
afan1 wrote:
Markuson spent the last 14 years coaching offensive lines in the Southeastern Conference at Arkansas and Mississippi. Since 2003, he coached six different players who earned All-America honors. Even BB called his resume impressive when he hired him.

IMO, it was not a bad hire. That is an easy way out. Do you think he suddenly forgot how to coach ? Or, it a case where some of his linemen did not like the NEW way or the NEW coach ? When a head coach starts listening to his players about who should coach them is the day that he is digging his own grave. ( so to speak).

But how long can you stick with a guy that doesn't have the respect of the players?

Especially if the personality rumors are true?
diener34
#30 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 1:48:31 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
dfnewburry wrote:
highlightfilm wrote:

I think firing the guy 2 weeks into the season is pretty much admitting it.
1 user high fived
mickjagger on 9/10/2012(UTC)
john42
#31 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 1:53:35 PM(UTC)
All State
High Fives: 111
High Fived: 285
dfnewburry wrote:
highlightfilm wrote:

I totally agree too. They hired six coaches this offseason at major positions. If 1 or 2 end up being bad hires I don't think it should surprise a ton of people. If you have ever hired employees, no matter how well they look on paper or interview, there are always bad hires that make it.

I think BB is admitting he made a bad hire by firing the guy two weeks into the college football season. That is just unheard of.

“[We] decided to move on,” Bielema said according to the Journal Sentinel. “It was really something that wasn’t a knee-jerk thing by me.”

Either BB was filling us full of BS or they have been debating ending this for a while. It sounds like the coaches and players both didn't like the guy. If that is the case, cut the cord and move on.
"If I caught 756, I'd take a sharpie out of my pocket and draw on asterisk on it then hand it to Barry for free."

— Rubenonfire
1 user high fived
mickjagger on 9/10/2012(UTC)
luckyprofessional
#32 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 2:06:56 PM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fives: 38
High Fived: 36
SOMEONE had to go. The Badgers O-line talent is not lacking, so it must be the people in charge I.E this dude, and Matt Canada.

I think someone should show these guys any film of last years games and do exactly what they see.
I love #wisco and #TheU
Twitter>Facebook
alandoamazing
#33 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 2:22:39 PM(UTC)

All American
High Fives: 423
High Fived: 687
Travis Frederick alluded to issues during the spring. This isn't new, I'm sure there were problems and then the awful performance prompted Bielema to say enough.

If you know something is not working out, may as well end it right away rather than let it drag on.
A pessimist is always alone. An optimist is always just two people away from a threesome.
john42
#34 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 2:28:52 PM(UTC)
All State
I don't usually like how BB interviews, but I agree with most everything he says about the decision.

http://host.madison.com/...1-90e8-001a4bcf887a.html
"If I caught 756, I'd take a sharpie out of my pocket and draw on asterisk on it then hand it to Barry for free."

— Rubenonfire
iwishiwasaballer
#35 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 2:30:16 PM(UTC)

All Conference
High Fives: 167
High Fived: 528
dfnewburry wrote:
highlightfilm wrote:

from the press conference via @badgerfootball twitter: Bielema on staff: "It didn't work out the way I would like. I hired 6 guys and I feel very good about the 5 that are remaining.

i think that is the closest you will get to bielema admitting anything.
just a someone who loves sports
i do what i can to eliminate missing scores/stats/rosters
feel free to follow me
dfnewburry
#36 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 2:37:26 PM(UTC)

All State
High Fives: 241
High Fived: 189
afan1 wrote:

IMO, it was not a bad hire. That is an easy way out. Do you think he suddenly forgot how to coach ? Or, it a case where some of his linemen did not like the NEW way or the NEW coach ? When a head coach starts listening to his players about who should coach them is the day that he is digging his own grave. ( so to speak).

afan , I did not mean to imply he was a bad coach only that his personality was a bad hire for Wisconsin it seems .

He will likely coach more All Americans .
Understanding is a three-edged sword. Your side, my side, and the truth...J. Michael Straczynski

oldschoolwolf
#37 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 3:14:16 PM(UTC)

All Conference
High Fives: 28
High Fived: 37
afan1 wrote:
john42 wrote:
newmen wrote:
Seems like an overreaction if you ask me. Two games into his tenure at Wisconsin and he's already been let go. I feel for him. How much of a difference is this going to make anyways? Or are they just trying to make a statement to the rest of the coaching staff?

I can get the point about probably not going to change a whole heck of a lot, but not the feeling bad for him part. If you suck at your job, or the people you are in charge of have a terrible production record you deserved to be fired whether its sports, the factory, etc. His offensive line (production unit) sucks. If my department at work sucks I should be fired too. It goes with the territory of the job.

End of the season analysis perhaps I might agree with you but not two games in. His prior record and success was impressive PER BB. Do you think he all of a sudden forgot how to coach lineman ?

Do you follow college ball at all or just the PR BB sent out ? He was a disaster at Ole Miss... there was a reason their offense was crap in the SEC.

He had a couple "big name" guys but by and large he was anything but impressive at Ole Miss. Been following Badger football since the mid 70's and the O-line the last two weeks was as bad as Don Morton.

I think this is pretty simple. We struggled in camp, the offensive coaches had short ropes. We laid an offensive stinkbomb on 9/1 and everyone was put on alert. We followed it with a worse display on 9/8. Something had to change. Here's the change.

For reference, Houston fired their coordinator after the FIRST game this year after they put up an un-Houston-like 13 points at home vs. Texas State. This week, they scored 49 vs. a good La Tech team. Big and immediate moves can work and can be motivated by performance, particularly when expectations are set to run a certain way, as they are here at Wisconsin. Those expectations weren't met so there's the door.
afan1
#38 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 3:22:33 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
Under Markuson's offensive line coaching, the Razorbacks led the Southeastern Conference in rushing offense for nearly five consecutive seasons. Markuson coached the Arkansas offensive line from 1998 until his departure to Ole Miss for the 2008 season. Markuson continued in his roles as offensive line coach and running game coordinator at Ole Miss until 2010 when he was promoted to co-offensive coordinator.

"The name All-Northwest itself means something to readers of the Leader-Telegram." ?

afan1
#39 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 3:32:59 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
oldschoolwolf wrote:
afan1 wrote:
john42 wrote:
newmen wrote:
Seems like an overreaction if you ask me. Two games into his tenure at Wisconsin and he's already been let go. I feel for him. How much of a difference is this going to make anyways? Or are they just trying to make a statement to the rest of the coaching staff?

I can get the point about probably not going to change a whole heck of a lot, but not the feeling bad for him part. If you suck at your job, or the people you are in charge of have a terrible production record you deserved to be fired whether its sports, the factory, etc. His offensive line (production unit) sucks. If my department at work sucks I should be fired too. It goes with the territory of the job.

End of the season analysis perhaps I might agree with you but not two games in. His prior record and success was impressive PER BB. Do you think he all of a sudden forgot how to coach lineman ?

Do you follow college ball at all or just the PR BB sent out ? He was a disaster at Ole Miss... there was a reason their offense was crap in the SEC.

He had a couple "big name" guys but by and large he was anything but impressive at Ole Miss. Been following Badger football since the mid 70's and the O-line the last two weeks was as bad as Don Morton.

I think this is pretty simple. We struggled in camp, the offensive coaches had short ropes. We laid an offensive stinkbomb on 9/1 and everyone was put on alert. We followed it with a worse display on 9/8. Something had to change. Here's the change.

For reference, Houston fired their coordinator after the FIRST game this year after they put up an un-Houston-like 13 points at home vs. Texas State. This week, they scored 49 vs. a good La Tech team. Big and immediate moves can work and can be motivated by performance, particularly when expectations are set to run a certain way, as they are here at Wisconsin. Those expectations weren't met so there's the door.

So you use ONE team as an example while we both know that many teams had unimpressive first two game but do not release asst coaches. Is Canada next ? Will they block better now that they have an untested graduate assistant in Miller taking his place? Really ?? What will happen if they do not improve now ?

kenny78
#40 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 3:36:02 PM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fives: 125
High Fived: 146
luckyprofessional wrote:
SOMEONE had to go. The Badgers O-line talent is not lacking, so it must be the people in charge I.E this dude, and Matt Canada.

I think someone should show these guys any film of last years games and do exactly what they see.

First of all, and you're not the only one to say it, but you want the OC out after 2 games? That in itself is unbelievable to me. Beyond that, do you honestly think it's that easy to emulate what someone else coached? There is more to it than just drawing up schemes on a board. You have to know the right drills to run in order to provide the repetition so that the movements become second nature to the players. It is a rare player indeed who can simply watch film and go out and execute what he sees.

How do you know the O-line is not lacking? Maybe they don't have the talent to make the in-game adjustments. Maybe this group is not "football smart" to allow them to think on the fly. Even though the coaches tend to make most of the adjustments, there is still some amount of split-second thinking that must be done during the play by the players on the field. Maybe this group struggles to do that. The Badgers essentially went from the most dynamic offense that they may have ever had to one with a new quarterback, new OC, new assistants, and mostly new lineman.
1 user high fived
formerscribe on 9/10/2012(UTC)
afan1
#41 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 3:41:54 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
Great post Kenny, for some football is like a video game. Call the right play and run to daylight. (or do what they did last year). I'm just saying that with all the new faces, to let someone go after 2 games is unwise.

1 user high fived
formerscribe on 9/10/2012(UTC)
john42
#42 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 4:14:10 PM(UTC)
All State
afan1 wrote:
Under Markuson's offensive line coaching, the Razorbacks led the Southeastern Conference in rushing offense for nearly five consecutive seasons. Markuson coached the Arkansas offensive line from 1998 until his departure to Ole Miss for the 2008 season. Markuson continued in his roles as offensive line coach and running game coordinator at Ole Miss until 2010 when he was promoted to co-offensive coordinator.

How did he do at Ole Miss? They all got fired for a reason. It was a giant mess.

He didn't fit in with the coaches and players. I don't see why it's a big deal. Although I've been very critical of Canada as well, he is more than capable of changing the way he has called games. Markuson wasn't going to change the way he coached offensive linemen. What worked at Arkansas a 5 years ago with DMAC doesn't necessarily translate to success at Wisconsin in 2012.

The Badgers have two of the top lineman in the county. You should be able to put 3 average to below average guys out there with them and still be pretty good. The Badgers line has been absolutely pathetic. Why is it so terrible when at least four of the starters were starters or part time starters last year and did a fine job?

— Rubenonfire
highlightfilm
#43 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 4:17:41 PM(UTC)

Varsity
High Fives: 57
High Fived: 77
Whether we like it or not, this was a business decision that UW felt was imperative. Something had to be extremely wrong with this match for them to make this move with this timing. I'm not a BB fan, but I respect him for having the wherewithal to cut their losses early.
The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching.
John Wooden

1 user high fived
john42 on 9/10/2012(UTC)
formerscribe
#44 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 4:55:12 PM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fives: 82
High Fived: 52
I'll bet Montee Ball is glad he survived the beatdown on the streets of Madison, but not happy at all about choosing to return to the town this year instead of opting for the NFL.
john42
#45 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 5:05:02 PM(UTC)
All State
formerscribe wrote:
I'll bet Montee Ball is glad he survived the beatdown on the streets of Madison, but not happy at all about choosing to return to the town this year instead of opting for the NFL.

After two games I bet he is thinking that third round grade sounds pretty good. I still think he will be fine if he gets the ball. He has actually looked better in space this year (very very small sampling size) then he ever has.

— Rubenonfire
mickjagger
#46 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 6:30:45 PM(UTC)

All American
High Fives: 2767
High Fived: 972
eggsandbaccon wrote:
Where do you get fired after two games and replacing all but one starter? Those of you who feel he should of gotten canned must not have the least bit of human compassion. he wasn't the one calling those god awfull plays was he? You would think that he would have gotten a bit longer to prove his worth. As far as being a Barry hire, that may be true but he had a good track record at Arkansas and ole miss..Must have been only the players..

The FX announcers on Saturday insisted on saying the Badgers returned only one starter on the O-line this season also. For the record, 2 of the Badgers' starters on he 2012 O-line started full-time last season .... LT Rickey Wagner & C Travis Frederick. Yes, Frederick started primarily at LG, however he also started games at C when Peter Konz was out and he also started games at C in 2010.
iwishiwasaballer
#47 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 9:18:35 PM(UTC)

All Conference
High Fives: 167
High Fived: 528
mickjagger wrote:
eggsandbaccon wrote:
Where do you get fired after two games and replacing all but one starter? Those of you who feel he should of gotten canned must not have the least bit of human compassion. he wasn't the one calling those god awfull plays was he? You would think that he would have gotten a bit longer to prove his worth. As far as being a Barry hire, that may be true but he had a good track record at Arkansas and ole miss..Must have been only the players..

The FX announcers on Saturday insisted on saying the Badgers returned only one starter on the O-line this season also. For the record, 2 of the Badgers' starters on he 2012 O-line started full-time last season .... LT Rickey Wagner & C Travis Frederick. Yes, Frederick started primarily at LG, however he also started games at C when Peter Konz was out and he also started games at C in 2010.

seems to be a common theme with tv sports announcers that they often times have no clue what they are talking about
just a someone who loves sports
i do what i can to eliminate missing scores/stats/rosters
feel free to follow me
db11
#48 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 9:23:01 PM(UTC)

WSNxtra: Member of WSN XtraModerator Badge: WSN Moderator
WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 891
High Fived: 1552
The guy came in and ended up messing up 20 years of O-Line tradition in a matter of months. They didn't "Stan Kyles" by firing Markuson...something just clearly wasn't working and they decided to nip it in the bud as much as they could.
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me...because HS basketball is here and we know you love score updates clogging up your Twitter feed.

"Hoosiers" is a great story, but it's far closer to lightning in a bottle than any sort of normality.
mickjagger
#49 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 10:21:43 PM(UTC)

All American
High Fives: 2767
High Fived: 972
Markuson's reaction to his firing (quotes):
http://www.jsonline.com/...gs/sports/169254486.html
diener34
#50 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 10:24:54 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
I almost got sucked into js online comments, but got out before my brain exploded...
1 user high fived
mickjagger on 9/11/2012(UTC)