skip navigation

Hudson Football
pullman22
#1 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2012 11:30:56 PM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
High Fives: 0
High Fived: 1
Hudson showed a great deal of sportsmanship taking 4 consecutive knees when they easily could have racked up more pts vs Menominee.

I wish them the best in the playoffs.

Somebody that played Lomira this evening should learn from this game. Its not about putting up 61 in the first half !!
1 user high fived
justintyem on 10/13/2012(UTC)
Sponsor  

mickjagger
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2012 2:40:54 AM(UTC)

WSNxtra: Member of WSN Xtra
All American
High Fives: 2767
High Fived: 972
pullman22 wrote:
Hudson showed a great deal of sportsmanship taking 4 consecutive knees when they easily could have racked up more pts vs Menominee.

I wish them the best in the playoffs.

Somebody that played Lomira this evening should learn from this game. Its not about putting up 61 in the first half !!

5 wins in a row now for Hudson over the once King of the Big Rivers Conference, Menomonie. Why is no one shedding any tears for Coach LaBuda & his troops?
elitefootballcamp
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2012 4:54:20 AM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
High Fived: 0
pullman22 wrote:

Maybe you should look into the game more before you start accusing teams of something that didn't happen. 28 points came off defensive or special teams, what do you want those kids to do, just fall down?
formerbrcplayer
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2012 6:20:36 AM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
As a former BRC player, I couldn't be any more happier for Hudson. Back when I was in high school at a BRC school, Hudson was always near the bottom of the conference or at the cellar when it comes to the final season record. They always had some decent players. There was not much enthusiasm for football in that town when I was high school. Fast forward many years and Hudson hired a coach by the name of Adam Kowles. Not only did Hudson make a great hire with Adam, but they have a great coaching staff. That entire coaching staff has done a tremendous job of changing the entire culture of the community. Back when I was in high school the kids in the community didn't ask how the varsity team did last night and not many attended games. That is no longer the case. The culture of the entire community has changed.

Joe LaBuda is nearing the end of his coaching career at Menomonie and there are rumors he will retire after he coaches his son that is an 8th grader. A couple of long-term assistants are nearing the end of their coaching careers as well. The Hudson coaching staff is young, energtic, and very good.

The coaching job at Hudson is one of the best turnarounds in the entire hisotry of high school football in Wisconsin. It was 46 years ago that Hudson had an undefeated regular season.

At the end of the day, Hudson is a program that is taking over the BRC. Their sophomore team is undefeated as well.

Hudson is no longer a bottom cellar, and no longer average. They are now the outright champion of the BRC.

Hudson's new weight room.....

1 user high fived
mickjagger on 10/14/2012(UTC)
wissotapreps
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2012 9:46:21 AM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fives: 9
High Fived: 9
pullman22 wrote:

Interesting first post.......

1. Springs ran back the opening kickoff.
2. They intercepted the third play from scrimmage and ran it back for a TD.
3. Lomira went three and out again, by this point Springs wasn't trying to block the punt or even run it back. They scored three players later.
4. Lomira's QB fumbled on a sack and Springs recovered in the end zone
5. Another three and out for Lomira (no punt block or run back) Springs scored on the first play
6. A few plays later there was another pick six.

I might have the order wrong, and I missed a TD in there, but it went down something like that. Springs had 41 points and ran maybe five offensive plays. By the second quarter coach Hyland started emptying the bench.

Lomira was also a "spread" team that threw the ball alot, which lead to the clock not running much. What would you like to see the Springs kids do?
1 user high fived
db11 on 10/13/2012(UTC)
iwishiwasaballer
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2012 10:00:34 AM(UTC)

All Conference
High Fives: 167
High Fived: 528
wissotapreps wrote:
pullman22 wrote:

3. Lomira went three and out again, by this point Springs wasn't trying to block the punt or even run it back. They scored three players later.
5. Another three and out for Lomira (no punt block or run back) Springs scored on the first play

I might have the order wrong, and I missed a TD in there, but it went down something like that. Springs had 41 points and ran maybe five offensive plays. By the second quarter coach Hyland started emptying the bench.

Lomira was also a "spread" team that threw the ball alot, which lead to the clock not running much. What would you like to see the Springs kids do?

also, i looked at the box score and springs only scored 7 points the whole second half and only 13 the 2nd quarter. and it looks like the rushing game got spread around and not just one guy doing it all. you have to let the starters play at least a quarter which from the what the box score looks like it appears this is what they did.
just a someone who loves sports
i do what i can to eliminate missing scores/stats/rosters
feel free to follow me
3baller
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2012 2:24:17 PM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fived: 6
wissotapreps wrote:
pullman22 wrote:

mrmike527
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2012 4:17:32 PM(UTC)
WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 300
High Fived: 194
formerbrcplayer wrote:
As a former BRC player, I couldn't be any more happier for Hudson. Back when I was in high school at a BRC school, Hudson was always near the bottom of the conference or at the cellar when it comes to the final season record. They always had some decent players. There was not much enthusiasm for football in that town when I was high school. Fast forward many years and Hudson hired a coach by the name of Adam Kowles. Not only did Hudson make a great hire with Adam, but they have a great coaching staff. That entire coaching staff has done a tremendous job of changing the entire culture of the community. Back when I was in high school the kids in the community didn't ask how the varsity team did last night and not many attended games. That is no longer the case. The culture of the entire community has changed.

Joe LaBuda is nearing the end of his coaching career at Menomonie and there are rumors he will retire after he coaches his son that is an 8th grader. A couple of long-term assistants are nearing the end of their coaching careers as well. The Hudson coaching staff is young, energtic, and very good.

The coaching job at Hudson is one of the best turnarounds in the entire hisotry of high school football in Wisconsin. It was 46 years ago that Hudson had an undefeated regular season.

At the end of the day, Hudson is a program that is taking over the BRC. Their sophomore team is undefeated as well.

Hudson is no longer a bottom cellar, and no longer average. They are now the outright champion of the BRC.

As much credit as those coaches deserve for changing the football culture at the school, you'd have to think Hudson is going to have some postseason trouble while they continue to play in the Big Rivers. Rice Lake, Menomonie, and River Falls are all very good programs, but they're ~750, ~1000, and ~1100 students respectively while Hudson is something like 1700. They had an impressive non-conference showing this year and I'll cheer them on in the playoffs, but for the same reason that Rice Lake and Menomonie are at an advantage going into the playoffs after a regular season playing schools that they are much smaller than, you'd have to think Hudson has some disadvantage in that their postseason opponents are going to be their first games since the beginning of the season they're playing a very good D1 opponent.
thebillwaltontrip
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2012 9:54:32 PM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fives: 3
High Fived: 80
Let's see Hudson string four or five of these seasons in a row before we begin touting them as the new face of Big Rivers Conference football. Afterall, it was just 2 seasons ago that they were getting beaten by the Eau Claire North's and Eau Claire Memorial's of the BRC.
formerbrcplayer
#10 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 7:40:44 AM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
In my opinion we are already seeing the change of the tide in the BRC. Hudson use to be a school that competed in the Middle Boarder Conference. I think they moved to the BRC in 1982. For so many years they would get handed blowout losses by the other BRC teams. Just in the last five years Hudson has now defeated the titan of the BRC, Menomonie, five games in a row. It was 46 years ago that a Hudson team went undefeated in the regular season.

Hudson winning that game by a score of 34-7 doesn't show just how dominate Hudson was in that game. What the score doesn't show is the negative rushing yards by Menomonie's running backs had alone, and then add in all of the sack yardage and you have Menomonie for a negative 53 yards, and only one first down in the first half. That negative yards and one first down includes the players giving it all they had effort wise.

Hudson is now beating the other teams in the BRC on a regular basis now. They are now being considered the team you have to go through to win the conference championship. Their underclassmen are considered the top in the conference as well.

A poster above mentioned enrollment numbers. Yes that is a factor, but it doesn't tell the story about the rise of the program from the Middle Boarder Conference, to taking their lumps in the BRC, to now becoming the new titan of the BRC.
millirnf
#11 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 8:33:52 AM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fives: 14
High Fived: 9
formerbrcplayer wrote:
In my opinion we are already seeing the change of the tide in the BRC. Hudson use to be a school that competed in the Middle Boarder Conference. I think they moved to the BRC in 1982. For so many years they would get handed blowout losses by the other BRC teams. Just in the last five years Hudson has now defeated the titan of the BRC, Menomonie, five games in a row. It was 46 years ago that a Hudson team went undefeated in the regular season.

Hudson winning that game by a score of 34-7 doesn't show just how dominate Hudson was in that game. What the score doesn't show is the negative rushing yards by Menomonie's running backs had alone, and then add in all of the sack yardage and you have Menomonie for a negative 53 yards, and only one first down in the first half. That negative yards and one first down includes the players giving it all they had effort wise.

Hudson is now beating the other teams in the BRC on a regular basis now. They are now being considered the team you have to go through to win the conference championship. Their underclassmen are considered the top in the conference as well.

A poster above mentioned enrollment numbers. Yes that is a factor, but it doesn't tell the story about the rise of the program from the Middle Boarder Conference, to taking their lumps in the BRC, to now becoming the new titan of the BRC.

Hudson was still in the Border in 1984.
Durand GBB
State Titles 86 87
Sec 82 83 85-88 94 96 97 09
Reg 78 82-88 91 92 94 96 97 09
Conf 73 78 81-87 91 94 96-99 01 06-10 12
xraider
#12 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 10:58:03 AM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
High Fived: 2
mrmike527 wrote:
formerbrcplayer wrote:

As much credit as those coaches deserve for changing the football culture at the school, you'd have to think Hudson is going to have some postseason trouble while they continue to play in the Big Rivers. Rice Lake, Menomonie, and River Falls are all very good programs, but they're ~750, ~1000, and ~1100 students respectively while Hudson is something like 1700. They had an impressive non-conference showing this year and I'll cheer them on in the playoffs, but for the same reason that Rice Lake and Menomonie are at an advantage going into the playoffs after a regular season playing schools that they are much smaller than, you'd have to think Hudson has some disadvantage in that their postseason opponents are going to be their first games since the beginning of the season they're playing a very good D1 opponent.

Hudson can only play the team that is in front of them. I would argue that it is the quality of the program rather than the size of the school that is more important when looking at strength of schedule. Ask Spash or Bay Port. Since Kowles has been in Hudson (7th season) Hudson has beaten Menomonie 5 0f 7 times been conference co-camp (09 tied with Men but beat Men head to head) once and out right champ once. They have scheduled WI Rapids and Kenosha Bradford as preseason opponents. They have also scrimmaged schools like SPASH and Minnetonka(MN). Hudson with an enrollment of 1701 is ranked 17th in size among the other 31 D1 schools this year, so its not like they are a 2500 student behemoth beating up on D3 schools.Hudson is not even the biggest school in the BCR (ECM 1701). I would also argue that Hudson has the toughest road to the championship with Appleton North, Bay Port, SPASH and GB Preble ( with only 3 losses between them 2 of which came in the last game) all in their group

Only two of Hudson's games have been competitive in the second half (Bradford and Rice Lake). Its not like they are squeeking out wins. The 1500+ rushing yards and 30 rushing TD's have mostly come in the 1st half of games. And their defense is the best I have seen. You can see a replay of the game vs Menomonie on FSN Monday at 7 PM. Hudson's receipe for success is simple. Great special teams cover the kick off, pin your opponent deep, hold them to three and out, get the ball in good field position and run the ball on a short field. If this team was a suburb of Milwaukee rather than St Paul the whole state would be talking about their defense and special teams. They would also have more kids getting college looks.

My point is Hudson is a program on the rise. They have a great young coaching staff led by Adam Kowles. They are playing the hand they are delt with-out complaint and are doing the right things to give the team the best poss competition. Give them the credit due they could be the best team in the state. We will find out starting next Friday at 7 PM.
1 user high fived
upnorth12 on 10/18/2012(UTC)
formerwiacbaseballer
#13 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 6:33:11 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 308
High Fived: 669
formerbrcplayer?

Why don't you just say back when you rode the bench at Menomonie alove?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

"There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
whfan202
#14 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 7:11:45 PM(UTC)

All State
High Fives: 322
High Fived: 359
formerwiacbaseballer wrote:
formerbrcplayer?

A jab has been made...
Follow me if you want to. I can be funny at times! @JosephBroseph25

mickjagger
#15 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 7:27:30 PM(UTC)

All American
High Fives: 2767
High Fived: 972
thebillwaltontrip wrote:
Let's see Hudson string four or five of these seasons in a row before we begin touting them as the new face of Big Rivers Conference football. Afterall, it was just 2 seasons ago that they were getting beaten by the Eau Claire North's and Eau Claire Memorial's of the BRC.

5 consecutive victories over perrenial BRC and D-2 state powerhouse, Menomonie and an outright BRC championship, tells me the Hudson Raiders have arrived.

To their credit, Hudson has gone 25-10 in the BRC over the last 5 seasons, while Menomomie has gone 29-6 during the same time. Hudson has won 2 conference championships during that time (1 shared), while Menomomie has won 3 conf championships over the same period (1 shared).

Is Hudson now the perennial King of the BRC, .... of course not. Are they now a force to be reckoned with and taken seriously as a conference championship contender in the immediate future? Absolutely!
formerwiacbaseballer
#16 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 7:49:24 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 308
High Fived: 669
whfan202 wrote:
formerbrcplayer?

A jab has been made...

He brought it upon himself with his "work" over the summer....
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

"There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
macandcheese
#17 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:38:18 AM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fives: 4
High Fived: 67
Hudson began turning the corner when they hired Adam kowles. He has worked his tail off to get the program where it is now. He will not stop until the raiders rule the BRC and make noise in the playoffs every year. The numbers will support a well run program for eternity..or until he moves on.

whfan202
#18 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:30:19 PM(UTC)

All State
High Fives: 322
High Fived: 359
whfan202 wrote:
formerbrcplayer?

A jab has been made...

He brought it upon himself with his "work" over the summer....

Not disagreeing at all, haha, I laughed when I saw that.
Follow me if you want to. I can be funny at times! @JosephBroseph25

upnorth12
#19 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 5:13:45 AM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
High Fives: 1
High Fived: 0
Hudson has had Menomonie's number for several years to be sure. Every year now it something different. Remembering 2010 at Menomonie's Homecoming, The Hudson kicker nailed a filed goal and Hudson won 16-14. It was a defensive battle all night. Hudson kept their QB scrambling all over. Coach L almost stroked out on the sideline. I am sure this year it was job #1 to beat Hudson. Hey, everyone has their day. This class if kids in Hudson has been building to this for many years as well as the program. The planets have just not lined up well for one side of this conference rivalry!