skip navigation

Homestead vs Arrowhead week 2
traklvr
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:51:57 PM(UTC)
WSNxtra: Member of WSN Xtra
Junior Varsity
High Fives: 0
High Fived: 1
Your thoughts on the matchup of last years D1 and D2 champs.
Sponsor  

fbnut
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 12:59:57 PM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fives: 45
High Fived: 19
Im pretty excited about this matchup.
I just cant see any team coming within 3 scores of this Arrowhead team.
I hope for a great game but am not sure Homestead can keep up!
Arrowhead has too many studs at the line and linebacker positions.
1 user high fived
newsudafed on 8/25/2013(UTC)
newsudafed
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 6:23:29 PM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fives: 36
High Fived: 4
I agree with fbnut... This team looked better on Friday than last year's dominant state championship team. I would love to see a good game, but I don't think it will be within 3 scores.
R.I.P. Marlin Lee. Truly a great man.

2013 Classic 8 Pick 'Em Outright Champion
fbuk
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 10:50:15 PM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
High Fived: 0
I agree. Homestead doesnt seem to have the talent it did last year. Wouldnt be suprised to see arrowhead run it up and I mean alot.
levelm
#5 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 7:20:15 AM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fives: 5
High Fived: 38
I was on the field with both of these teams last year and Homestead was the 2nd best team in the state last year in my opinion.

But I would put my money on a running clock in this game.
1 user high fived
voiceofreason on 8/26/2013(UTC)
parkside211
#6 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 8:41:18 PM(UTC)

All Conference
High Fives: 70
High Fived: 30
I think people might be going a bit far. I agree, I think Arrowhead will win fairly comfortably, but I expect it to be a 10-14 point win. Running clock seems ridiculous. Excited to find out though.
Football teams I've seen in person in 2013: Appleton North, Fond du Lac (x2), Arrowhead, Homestead (x3), Hartford, Germantown (x4), Grafton (x5), Cedarburg (x3), Nicolet, KM Lutheran, Lomira, Milw. Lutheran, Brookfield East, and Kimberly.
newsudafed
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 12:35:25 PM(UTC)
Varsity
parkside211 wrote:
I think people might be going a bit far. I agree, I think Arrowhead will win fairly comfortably, but I expect it to be a 10-14 point win. Running clock seems ridiculous. Excited to find out though.

Eh... I don't know. It will be interesting to see. Arrowhead got better from last year, and reports are that Homestead took a step back. Most of Arrowhead's games are running clocks by halftime (Kenosha Bradford last week... Sun Prairie last year @ state), so I would be surprised if over 4 quarters, Arrowhead doesn't pull away.

Will be a great game, though. Wouldn't surprise me if both teams go on to win state titles.

fbuk
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:42:39 PM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
High Fived: 0
Homesteads new pistol offense could pose problems for arrowhead defense.
mickjagger
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 10:38:16 PM(UTC)

All American
High Fives: 2767
High Fived: 972
Arrowhead, ...... BIG!
parkside211
#10 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 12:13:36 PM(UTC)

All Conference
Anyone know if this game will be on the radio? Not looking for a streaming option, rather something I can tune into while at the game.
Football teams I've seen in person in 2013: Appleton North, Fond du Lac (x2), Arrowhead, Homestead (x3), Hartford, Germantown (x4), Grafton (x5), Cedarburg (x3), Nicolet, KM Lutheran, Lomira, Milw. Lutheran, Brookfield East, and Kimberly.
mickjagger
#11 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 5:38:59 PM(UTC)

All American
parkside211 wrote:
Anyone know if this game will be on the radio? Not looking for a streaming option, rather something I can tune into while at the game.

I checked all over, including a phone call to the Milwaufkee Journal sports dept. .... as far as I can surmise, the Arrowhead-Homestead game is only being televised on Time Warner Cable.

No radio broadcast that I can find for you.
parkside211
#12 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 10:04:26 PM(UTC)

All Conference
mickjagger wrote:
parkside211 wrote:

I checked all over, including a phone call to the Milwaufkee Journal sports dept. .... as far as I can surmise, the Arrowhead-Homestead game is only being televised on Time Warner Cable.

Mick- thanks for checking. How did this game not get broadcast on the radio? Oh well.

Anyway....my thoughts from the game as now most of you have seen the final, (Homestead - 13, Arrowhead - 7)

Arrowhead had a lot of flags go against them. I think they were whistled for 3 or 4 holds, a couple blocks in the back, two personal fouls, as well as various other penalties. I'm not saying they weren't warranted (I saw Arrowhead offensive linemen tackling homestead defenders from behind on three occasions), but the calls definitely weren't in Arrowhead's favor tonight. The game really came down to two plays, I think.

1- Homestead couldn't do anything the entire first half on offense. Early in the 3rd quarter, Homestead connected on a long pass down to about the Arrowhead 20. While the Arrowhead DB might have sold it a little bit, the Homestead WR clearly pushed off and probably should have been whistled for offensive PI. He was not, you could feel the momentum shift and Homestead scored a few plays later.

2- After Homestead scored to go up 13-7 (XP was blocked) with about 1:45 left to go in the game, Arrowhead had a long run by their QB from their own 20 down to about the Homestead 10, but it was brought back on offensive holding. A couple plays later and they turned it over on downs for Homestead to sit on it. I don't know if it was holding or not, but again...the calls just didn't go Arrowhead's way.

Anyway....HUGE credit to Homestead on getting the win. Arrowhead was bigger on both lines, seemed to have more athletes, but credit Homestead to tackling well, usually being in the right positions, not getting whistled for things, and credit Keel for a heck of a game plan.

A few other notes.....

-Arrowhead had trouble with the QB/center exchange all night long.
-Arrowhead made a QB change near the end of the 3rd quarter.
-Arrowhead suffered a few injuries tonight. #39...a starting D-linemen I think, suffered a knee injury. His dad was sitting next to me and he said the trainer told him it sounds like it could be an ACL. Best of luck to the kid. They also had their starting left guard go down and not return.
-Arrowhead used up all of their timeouts very early in the 2nd half. I wonder how they would have handled the 2 minute drill at the end differently if they still had a couple timeouts.
-The third time I've visited now. Each time I'm reminded how ridiculous Homestead's bathroom situation is. Fix it.
2 users high fived
fbnut on 8/30/2013(UTC), hueby on 9/1/2013(UTC)
racingphotoguy1
#13 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 10:08:06 PM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
Congrats to Homestead, did not see that coming.
1 user high fived
newsudafed on 9/2/2013(UTC)
fbnut
#14 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 10:23:55 PM(UTC)
Varsity
parkside211 wrote:
mickjagger wrote:
parkside211 wrote:

Mick- thanks for checking. How did this game not get broadcast on the radio? Oh well.

Anyway....my thoughts from the game as now most of you have seen the final, (Homestead - 13, Arrowhead - 7)

Arrowhead had a lot of flags go against them. I think they were whistled for 3 or 4 holds, a couple blocks in the back, two personal fouls, as well as various other penalties. I'm not saying they weren't warranted (I saw Arrowhead offensive linemen tackling homestead defenders from behind on three occasions), but the calls definitely weren't in Arrowhead's favor tonight. The game really came down to two plays, I think.

1- Homestead couldn't do anything the entire first half on offense. Early in the 3rd quarter, Homestead connected on a long pass down to about the Arrowhead 20. While the Arrowhead DB might have sold it a little bit, the Homestead WR clearly pushed off and probably should have been whistled for offensive PI. He was not, you could feel the momentum shift and Homestead scored a few plays later.

2- After Homestead scored to go up 13-7 (XP was blocked) with about 1:45 left to go in the game, Arrowhead had a long run by their QB from their own 20 down to about the Homestead 10, but it was brought back on offensive holding. A couple plays later and they turned it over on downs for Homestead to sit on it. I don't know if it was holding or not, but again...the calls just didn't go Arrowhead's way.

Anyway....HUGE credit to Homestead on getting the win. Arrowhead was bigger on both lines, seemed to have more athletes, but credit Homestead to tackling well, usually being in the right positions, not getting whistled for things, and credit Keel for a heck of a game plan.

A few other notes.....

-Arrowhead had trouble with the QB/center exchange all night long.
-Arrowhead made a QB change near the end of the 3rd quarter.
-Arrowhead suffered a few injuries tonight. #39...a starting D-linemen I think, suffered a knee injury. His dad was sitting next to me and he said the trainer told him it sounds like it could be an ACL. Best of luck to the kid. They also had their starting left guard go down and not return.
-Arrowhead used up all of their timeouts very early in the 2nd half. I wonder how they would have handled the 2 minute drill at the end differently if they still had a couple timeouts.
-The third time I've visited now. Each time I'm reminded how ridiculous Homestead's bathroom situation is. Fix it.

Great job parkside, amped and everyone contributing on the boards tonight. I had a long work night. Appreciate the updates and insights!
fb30
#15 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:10:40 AM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fives: 23
High Fived: 37
So last year's D2 champ who isn't supposed to be as strong as last year defeats last year's D1 champ who is supposed to be even better this year. Sorry for the cliché but that's why they play the game. It also reinforces my belief that D2 is as strong of a division as D1.
newmen
#16 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 4:54:02 PM(UTC)

All American
High Fives: 320
High Fived: 307
So how many D1 prospects does Homestead have???
WSN's All-Time Lowest Score
Pick 'Em Champ: 2011 Cloverbelt BB, '11 State Football Playoffs
I was in Wissports Illustrated
tlc83
#17 Posted : Sunday, September 01, 2013 10:08:32 AM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
High Fives: 9
High Fived: 6
This was a really good high school football game. Very entertaining to watch. Obviously two premiere programs playing for pride, tradition, and bragging rights. The energy and effort both teams put forward were obvious. Great to see these kind of match-ups and a shame somebody has to lose, especially so early in the season.

A couple of observations on the game.

1) There has been a lot of commentary about some of the fouls called against Arrowhead. The insinuation seems to be that they were cheated in some way? Watching the game live and then the replay it is pretty clear they were holding and blocking in the back...a lot. The reason is the defensive line surge Homestead was getting on almost every play. AHS totally failed to establish a running threat, went exclusively shotgun, suffered numerous bad snaps, and generally were predictable, rarely rolling or moving the QB in the pocket. As a result, HHS defensive line put their ears back and generated a tremendous rush, snap after snap. Arrowhead pass protection broke down repeatedly as a result, leading to holds, reach blocks, and blocks in the back. As a result, much of AHS yardage....or potential yardage...came on a couple broken plays where QB scrambled and O linemen lost their angles. It does increase your chances for a big play if you hold or tackle the defender who otherwise could have made the stop. The personal fouls were clear...a late hit to the head of player on the ground and an offensive lineman punching a linebacker in face right in front of official. Bottom line, AHS penalties were a result of their spread offense, predictability play after play, and superior quickness of Homestead defensive line in my opinion...possibly also poor pass blocking technique...nothing more. They committed the fouls and were penalized. Would be a shame if they won on a broken play due to an uncalled hold that made the play possible in the first place.

2) Looking at the published rosters, I would have to say the Arrowhead size advantage was negligible, even allowing for normal fluff in the listings. AHS wore white, which tends to make players look bigger. They did LOOK a little bigger, but not the "men and boys" stuff that was going around before the game about size difference.

3) HHS got better and adapted as the game went along. AHS did not. The HHS offense was non-existent in the first half, but put up over 200 yards in second half. AHS was slightly better team in 1st half and difference was that they scored on a busted play. HHS was clearly superior in 2nd half. The stats show it and any objective review of the game replay validates it. Whether it was conditioning, halftime coaching adjustments, player initiative, or some combination, HHS was simply a better team at crunch time in the second half.

4) Not sure where HHS will play this fall as enrollment slips again, but they are probably now the D2 favorite if they play there. D1 field, if they qualify on enrollment, is deeper, but they just beat the defending D1 champs, so probably have a good chance in either division if they stay healthy. Lacking common opponents, its always hard to tell how Kimberly, Middleton, Waunakee, and other strong programs stack up in any given year, but Homestead is clearly in the conversation. In reality, though, D1 or D2, this year is little different from the previous 4 times HHS and AHS have played in the playoffs. For years Homestead was one of smallest schools in D1 and competed just fine, with HHS winning 3 of previous 4 against Arrowhead. HHS always seems to be the under-sized, under-hyped underdog with much lower enrollment. Yet they usually seem to overcome and prevail.

5) I think the news coverage of the two programs in recent weeks was telling. JS coverage of Arrowhead features college prospects/stars in an immodest pose....Message seemed to be "look at us!". It was not too classy and I can't believe their coach let that picture get taken. Just sent a big message of over-confidence in my opinion. That would be unlikely at Homestead. JS coverage of HHS featured a coach working with his players as they run drills. AHS is a great team. If they play 10 times, who knows, but Friday night the work-horse beat the show-horse. The difference in approach and humility in the programs is striking. I am proud of the Highlanders and the effort it took to beat such a strong opponent, and doing so without much fanfare or individual player hype.

Good luck to both teams and hoping HHS makes D1 so perhaps they meet again. Otherwise, won't surprise me if they both repeat. I predict AHS will be much better for having played and lost this game. They ARE super talented and having the chip knocked off Friday will probably make them much stronger and likely to play to their potential, which may ultimately be higher than Homesteads. Unfortunately, though, potential doesn't win games on the field as Friday night showed. Coming off that loss I would sure hate to be Arrowheads next opponent!
4 users high fived
racingphotoguy1 on 9/1/2013(UTC), mickjagger on 9/1/2013(UTC), voiceofreason on 9/1/2013(UTC), hueby on 9/1/2013(UTC)
mickjagger
#18 Posted : Sunday, September 01, 2013 5:52:35 PM(UTC)

All American
tlc83 wrote:
This was a really good high school football game. Very entertaining to watch. Obviously two premiere programs playing for pride, tradition, and bragging rights. The energy and effort both teams put forward were obvious. Great to see these kind of match-ups and a shame somebody has to lose, especially so early in the season.

A couple of observations on the game.

1) There has been a lot of commentary about some of the fouls called against Arrowhead. The insinuation seems to be that they were cheated in some way? Watching the game live and then the replay it is pretty clear they were holding and blocking in the back...a lot. The reason is the defensive line surge Homestead was getting on almost every play. AHS totally failed to establish a running threat, went exclusively shotgun, suffered numerous bad snaps, and generally were predictable, rarely rolling or moving the QB in the pocket. As a result, HHS defensive line put their ears back and generated a tremendous rush, snap after snap. Arrowhead pass protection broke down repeatedly as a result, leading to holds, reach blocks, and blocks in the back. As a result, much of AHS yardage....or potential yardage...came on a couple broken plays where QB scrambled and O linemen lost their angles. It does increase your chances for a big play if you hold or tackle the defender who otherwise could have made the stop. The personal fouls were clear...a late hit to the head of player on the ground and an offensive lineman punching a linebacker in face right in front of official. Bottom line, AHS penalties were a result of their spread offense, predictability play after play, and superior quickness of Homestead defensive line in my opinion...possibly also poor pass blocking technique...nothing more. They committed the fouls and were penalized. Would be a shame if they won on a broken play due to an uncalled hold that made the play possible in the first place.

2) Looking at the published rosters, I would have to say the Arrowhead size advantage was negligible, even allowing for normal fluff in the listings. AHS wore white, which tends to make players look bigger. They did LOOK a little bigger, but not the "men and boys" stuff that was going around before the game about size difference.

3) HHS got better and adapted as the game went along. AHS did not. The HHS offense was non-existent in the first half, but put up over 200 yards in second half. AHS was slightly better team in 1st half and difference was that they scored on a busted play. HHS was clearly superior in 2nd half. The stats show it and any objective review of the game replay validates it. Whether it was conditioning, halftime coaching adjustments, player initiative, or some combination, HHS was simply a better team at crunch time in the second half.

4) Not sure where HHS will play this fall as enrollment slips again, but they are probably now the D2 favorite if they play there. D1 field, if they qualify on enrollment, is deeper, but they just beat the defending D1 champs, so probably have a good chance in either division if they stay healthy. Lacking common opponents, its always hard to tell how Kimberly, Middleton, Waunakee, and other strong programs stack up in any given year, but Homestead is clearly in the conversation. In reality, though, D1 or D2, this year is little different from the previous 4 times HHS and AHS have played in the playoffs. For years Homestead was one of smallest schools in D1 and competed just fine, with HHS winning 3 of previous 4 against Arrowhead. HHS always seems to be the under-sized, under-hyped underdog with much lower enrollment. Yet they usually seem to overcome and prevail.

5) I think the news coverage of the two programs in recent weeks was telling. JS coverage of Arrowhead features college prospects/stars in an immodest pose....Message seemed to be "look at us!". It was not too classy and I can't believe their coach let that picture get taken. Just sent a big message of over-confidence in my opinion. That would be unlikely at Homestead. JS coverage of HHS featured a coach working with his players as they run drills. AHS is a great team. If they play 10 times, who knows, but Friday night the work-horse beat the show-horse. The difference in approach and humility in the programs is striking. I am proud of the Highlanders and the effort it took to beat such a strong opponent, and doing so without much fanfare or individual player hype.

Good luck to both teams and hoping HHS makes D1 so perhaps they meet again. Otherwise, won't surprise me if they both repeat. I predict AHS will be much better for having played and lost this game. They ARE super talented and having the chip knocked off Friday will probably make them much stronger and likely to play to their potential, which may ultimately be higher than Homesteads. Unfortunately, though, potential doesn't win games on the field as Friday night showed. Coming off that loss I would sure hate to be Arrowheads next opponent!

I can't comment about what actually happened on the field, because I didn't see the game.

However, I can comment on the above post, authored by tic83: One of the best-written posts I have ever read on the WSN forum! Comprehensive, balanced, objective and well-composed. Great piece of prep sports journalism.
2 users high fived
voiceofreason on 9/1/2013(UTC), hueby on 9/1/2013(UTC)
newsudafed
#19 Posted : Monday, September 02, 2013 5:54:22 PM(UTC)
Varsity
My thoughts:

1. Regarding the referees - Yeah, I thought they were homers, but that is not the reason Arrowhead lost or Homestead won. Most of those penalties were legit (and dumb), but it was in Homestead's favor.

2. Coaching - Homestead outcoached Arrowhead. Coach K did a great job getting the Highlanders ready and adapting. Arrowhead probably stuck with their bread and butter, which is commendable, but they didn't pop the big one after the 1st quarter. Homestead won the 4th quarter and put on a clutch drive.

3. Size - Arrowhead was bigger. Don't say they looked bigger because the color of their uniforms. They were bigger in the trenches. BUT, you could argue who played bigger.

4. Players - I think AHS egos maybe got in the way this game. Homestead looked to have a "what about me" demeanor. AHS has too much talent individually, but we'll see how the team gels.

Boys, we probably just saw the D2 and D1 champions play. How cool would it be to see a rematch out in Camp Randall?

db11
#20 Posted : Monday, September 02, 2013 7:50:25 PM(UTC)

WSNxtra: Member of WSN XtraModerator Badge: WSN Moderator
WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 891
High Fived: 1552
newsudafed wrote:
My thoughts:

1. Regarding the referees - Yeah, I thought they were homers, but that is not the reason Arrowhead lost or Homestead won. Most of those penalties were legit (and dumb), but it was in Homestead's favor.

2. Coaching - Homestead outcoached Arrowhead. Coach K did a great job getting the Highlanders ready and adapting. Arrowhead probably stuck with their bread and butter, which is commendable, but they didn't pop the big one after the 1st quarter. Homestead won the 4th quarter and put on a clutch drive.

3. Size - Arrowhead was bigger. Don't say they looked bigger because the color of their uniforms. They were bigger in the trenches. BUT, you could argue who played bigger.

4. Players - I think AHS egos maybe got in the way this game. Homestead looked to have a "what about me" demeanor. AHS has too much talent individually, but we'll see how the team gels.

Boys, we probably just saw the D2 and D1 champions play. How cool would it be to see a rematch out in Camp Randall?

As I stated, I felt if there was one program in Wisconsin that could beat Arrowhead, it was Homestead. They have the coaching and perhaps the most similar socio-economic structure to AHS.

The problem is, can anyone else repeat Homestead's performance?

Point #4 was my feeling as well, it was starting to seem like the hype was getting out-of-control...heck, just look at some of our posts. After Friday, can't say I'd want to play Arrowhead....or Homestead.
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me...because HS football is here and we know you love score updates clogging up your Twitter feed.

"Hoosiers" is a great story, but it's far closer to lightning in a bottle than any sort of normality.
fbnut
#21 Posted : Tuesday, September 03, 2013 5:36:47 PM(UTC)
Varsity
fb30 wrote:
So last year's D2 champ who isn't supposed to be as strong as last year defeats last year's D1 champ who is supposed to be even better this year. Sorry for the cliché but that's why they play the game. It also reinforces my belief that D2 is as strong of a division as D1.

I agree with you on everything you said. Teams like Whitefish Bay, Homestead, Waunakee, Brookfield East were very good last year. I think the problem with Arrowhead this year is they have not shown they have the same skill players as 2012. Dom Todarello was averaging 9.6 yards a carry and Keliher threw for over 2,600 yards. Who will fill those shoes at Arrowhead? As far as line play this year, the fact that Homesteads Dline and backers gave the Oline of Arrowhead problems tells me that some of the Homestead kids should be getting some D1 offers coming there way as well! As with all teams, you better be twice as good week 9 as you are week 1. We will see how some of the teams improve throughout the year.
newsudafed
#22 Posted : Tuesday, September 03, 2013 7:31:25 PM(UTC)
Varsity
db11 wrote:
newsudafed wrote:
My thoughts:

As I stated, I felt if there was one program in Wisconsin that could beat Arrowhead, it was Homestead. They have the coaching and perhaps the most similar socio-economic structure to AHS.

The problem is, can anyone else repeat Homestead's performance?

Point #4 was my feeling as well, it was starting to seem like the hype was getting out-of-control...heck, just look at some of our posts. After Friday, can't say I'd want to play Arrowhead....or Homestead.

Absolutely. Some posts (mine included) reek of overconfidence for AHS. Hind-sight is 20/20, and that is why the game is played. Total props for Homestead. I think AHS is the ultimate case study this year: can their players/captains get it together, or will this year go down as "what could have been" and only win the Rivals D1 scholarship count? I think Homestead has it all figured out.

db11
#23 Posted : Tuesday, September 03, 2013 8:46:07 PM(UTC)

WSNxtra: Member of WSN XtraModerator Badge: WSN Moderator
WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 891
High Fived: 1552
Got around to listening to 1250's Scoreboard Show from Friday, and it was a bit humorous to listen to Sparky wonder why AHS refused to change up their offense when their bubble screens and jet sweeps clearly weren't working.

Even funnier was when they talked to Coach Keel afterwards and he jokingly chastised Ron Davies for underestimating (Homestead D-Coordinator) Fritz Rauch's ability to design a defense to stop Arrowhead.
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me...because HS football is here and we know you love score updates clogging up your Twitter feed.

"Hoosiers" is a great story, but it's far closer to lightning in a bottle than any sort of normality.