skip navigation

2 Pages12>
WIAA 2014 Playoffs
wr88
#1 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2014 8:57:43 PM(UTC)

All State
High Fives: 70
High Fived: 161
Seeing as regionals have been basically decided, I guess we should at least talk about favorites/underdogs/upsets/locks/etc...

Match ups:

1 vs 6
2 vs 5

3 vs 8
4 vs 7

#4- Appears to be Rapids' to lose. Heads and shoulders the best team in the sectional, but Onalaska won't go away quietly, and I think West Salem has a few tricks up their sleeves. The Red Raiders' former JV head coach is now the JV assistant for the Panthers. Obviously the games are won on the ice and it is up to the kids, but Mr. Borre knows the Rapids system inside and out, being a former Rapids standout 10 years ago. Could be a fun Sectional Semi and Sectional final at South Wood County.

#3- a 5-team race. Wausau West, Antigo, Northland Pines, SPASH, DCE could all walk away with it. West is limping into the playoffs losing their last two games to Rapids and SPASH. SPASH can't be counted out being the #3 team from the WVC, and Everest is as good as anyone else in the conference. The Red Robins and Eagles from the GNC had some battles this year, and they should have another in the Sectional Semis.

#1- Weird to not see Superior not being the team to beat in the section. But Hudson has a rich tradition and is as good as anyone in the state. Add in New Richmond and Somorset, it should be a fun finish.

#2- ECM should walk through it all. Nothing against the others, but they are the class of the sectional.

#5- See my thoughts on #2 and replace ECM with Notre Dame. The Tritons have to be the favorites for it all. But then again, they were last year too.

#6- I have to take Verona, but Edgewood, Monona Grove, Madison West wouldn't surprise me to see them at the AEC.

#7- Waukesha, KM/M, Stoughton I think have to be the favorites with the Wings being the biggest one. But the Lasers and Vikings both have had recent success in making it to the AEC.

#8- USM and "Cinderella" Brookfield should be the favorites. Hard to bet against either of them.

Anything else anyone watching for?
A Playoff will not be any more fair than the BCS.
No matter what happens, Favre > Rodgers.
St. Louis Cardinals = Class of MLB.
Carlos Gomez is the new Nyjer Morgan.....
Twitter
Sponsor  

totalhockey71
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 1:25:16 PM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
High Fives: 10
High Fived: 1
Minus a few upsets it appears the majority of the regular contenders will be/should be headed for another shot at the state title.

My question is based solely on this fact. Do you think the state would benefit from switching up these regionals at all and maybe trying to find a better competitive balance at all? I mean I would like to see some variety rather than the same team destroying their sectional year in and year out. It feels like the same few teams have been there every year for how long now. Is there anything that can be done to see some change in the state?
kadenb
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 2:46:35 PM(UTC)

Junior Varsity
High Fives: 1
High Fived: 3
I agree with wr88, but i dont think that ECM will have a clear cut road to state. IF they get past a very scrappy hayward team they will have to face either rice lake, who beat them earlier in the season, or Regis/Mcdonell, who has a great chance at taking them out. Also, i think that cedarburg has the best chance behind USM in section 8.
wr88
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:43:32 PM(UTC)

All State
totalhockey71 wrote:
Minus a few upsets it appears the majority of the regular contenders will be/should be headed for another shot at the state title.

My question is based solely on this fact. Do you think the state would benefit from switching up these regionals at all and maybe trying to find a better competitive balance at all? I mean I would like to see some variety rather than the same team destroying their sectional year in and year out. It feels like the same few teams have been there every year for how long now. Is there anything that can be done to see some change in the state?

The last MAJOR realignment came 9 years ago or so. I believe 2005 was the first year these current pairing really existed.

Since then these are the different teams that have made state from each sectional:

#1- 2 (Superior, New Richmond)
#2- 3 (ECM, Rice Lake, ECN)
#3- 4 (Antigo, Wausau West, SPASH, Mosinee)
#4- 5 (Rapids, Onalaska, Tomah, Sparta, RWD)
#5- 2 (Notre Dame, Appleton (Technically 3 if you count when Fondy was in #5))
#6- 4 (Verona, Edgewood, Middleton, Madison West)
#7- 5 (Whitefish Bay, Janesville, Marquette, Stoughton, KMM.)
#8- 4 (USM, Arrowhead, Homestead, Brookfield (5 if you count Fondy because of their years of being in #5))

3 sectionals have had 5 different teams. 2 have had 4. Propose combining something of #1&#2??? But then one would be extremely weak..... and everyone complains about how weak #4 has been on and off throughout the years.
Twitter
totalhockey71
#5 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 4:22:27 PM(UTC)
Junior Varsity
High Fives: 10
wr88 wrote:
totalhockey71 wrote:

The last MAJOR realignment came 9 years ago or so. I believe 2005 was the first year these current pairing really existed.

Since then these are the different teams that have made state from each sectional:

#8- 4 (USM, Arrowhead, Homestead, Brookfield (5 if you count Fondy because of their years of being in #5))

3 sectionals have had 5 different teams. 2 have had 4. Propose combining something of #1&#2??? But then one would be extremely weak..... and everyone complains about how weak #4 has been on and off throughout the years.

There are currently 91 teams in the state. Was there an explanation or reasoning of how many teams are required for 2 divisions and why there needs to be that amount?

I don't know the reasoning so i'll go off the assumption there is none. Would it be easier to move to 2 divisions going either half and half or maybe even switching it up based on competitive balance? At least that way we won't see so many 10-0 games in the playoffs and give more teams the chance to compete in the state tournament.
traviswilson
#6 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 4:40:28 PM(UTC)

WSNxtra: Member of WSN Xtra
All Conference
High Fives: 480
High Fived: 458
For a long time 96 seemed to be the magic number. It seems in the last year or so that number may have softened, but there has been a decrease in teams the couple years, not increase. That will not help towards a second division. I'm not sure we'll see a second division until there is an increase in teams or some of the co-ops that shouldn't have to co-op (i.e. multiple D1 schools in a co-op) form their own teams.
The Packers/Badgers/Brewers are like your children; you don't love them because they're good, you love them because they're yours.

10/22/2010 -- 598,210 pageviews for WSN

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/travisWSN
wr88
#7 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 11:33:41 PM(UTC)

All State
totalhockey71 wrote:
wr88 wrote:
totalhockey71 wrote:

There are currently 91 teams in the state. Was there an explanation or reasoning of how many teams are required for 2 divisions and why there needs to be that amount?

I don't know the reasoning so i'll go off the assumption there is none. Would it be easier to move to 2 divisions going either half and half or maybe even switching it up based on competitive balance? At least that way we won't see so many 10-0 games in the playoffs and give more teams the chance to compete in the state tournament.

If you don't want to see so many 10-0 games or other various scores like that, then the WIAA should not let everyone into the playoffs. Same goes for Basketball. Don't want to see blowouts, then don't let the "crappy" teams in. It works fine in football.
Twitter
wr88
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 10:30:22 PM(UTC)

All State
The "Sweet 16" are set, and there were upsets galore in the sectional semis.

Superior vs New Richmond
ECM vs Regis
Wausau West vs Antigo
West Salem vs Onalaska
Notre Dame vs Ashwaubenon
Verona vs Madison West
Waukesha vs KMM
Brookfield vs USM
Twitter
hueby
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 10:56:31 PM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fives: 54
High Fived: 55
Caught most of the Ashwaubenon game against Bay Port tonight. Game was won by Ashwaubenon 3-1. Bay Port had a 1-0 lead before Ashwaubenon (co-op) tied the game. In the 2nd Ashwaubenon took the lead then added an empty net goal late in the 3rd.

Was a really good game to watch. Game had a nice flow to it-end to end action with a lot of contact and hitting. Saw a little bit of everything from nice crisp passing to outstanding stick handling, to teams moving the puck well, shots hitting the post, nice defensive plays from both teams and some good open ice hits. Some of the intensity led a couple unnecessary penalties-but it added to the drama of special teams play.

Jag’s goalie Wischow got taken out at the knees (collision between two players & one slid into him) , took a stick to his glove after the whistle and what else- oh yes got clunked on his head by accident from a stick as the player skated by. He declined medical treatment because… well….he’s a hockey player.

Thought the refs called a good game. May have swallowed their whistles a few times but it kept the flow of the game going and the hitting leveled out overall. Thought they managed the game very well!

Nice size crowd at the game too. Both schools had very good & supportive student sections. Both sections were very loud at times and always enthusiastic. I can see how this can carry over at the college level like at a Badgers game. It was just an enjoyable game to attend. Kind of a bummer one team had to lose this one.

So just wanted to say thanks to both programs.

update: Just saw Ashwaubenon will be playing Notre Dame Academy. So this Saturday will the Ashwaubenon guys playing for Notre Dame be scoring goals then jumping on the glass towards the Ashwaubenon student section again? Stay tuned!....
macandcheese
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 7:32:13 AM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fives: 4
High Fived: 67
totalhockey71 wrote:
wr88 wrote:
totalhockey71 wrote:

macandcheese
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 7:34:36 AM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fives: 4
High Fived: 67
Keep it one division. It's the only pure tournament left. Look what all the divisions did to Wrestling, football, basketball etc.... Watered down.. I understand the argument of more state opportunities for the kids...I would say there would have to be double for another division.
blugold94
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 8:33:55 AM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fives: 7
High Fived: 54
With the way the tourney is bracketed it's almost like Rapids gets a pass to state each year but just refuses to take it half the time....including this year.
@ChadHolmesWI
blugold94
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 8:35:52 AM(UTC)
All Conference
macandcheese wrote:
Keep it one division. It's the only pure tournament left. Look what all the divisions did to Wrestling, football, basketball etc.... Watered down.. I understand the argument of more state opportunities for the kids...I would say there would have to be double for another division.

You are so right about how other tourneys are watered down. When they added the fifth division for basketball it was ridiculous and 7 divisions with the way some schools are losing football is way too many too.

I could live with two divisions for hockey but one is fine.
@ChadHolmesWI
badgerfan24
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 11:26:05 AM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fives: 2
blugold94 wrote:
With the way the tourney is bracketed it's almost like Rapids gets a pass to state each year but just refuses to take it half the time....including this year.

I get that section 4 is traditionally weaker than the other sections. no debate. But there have been some very lopsided sectional final games the last few years. NDA last year. WWest the year they won state, just to name a couple. So it isnt just a unique problem that section 4 has or a free pass for WR every year. And dont forget, WR was making trips to Madison in their former section too - same section as Fondy, Stevens Point, Appleton

And (going off a post I read in a different thread) if you look at the section 4 matchups in the quarter finals, they have been matched up against the #1 ranked team in the state EVERY year for the last 6ish seasons. Not saying that is the reason for the string of losses for section 4 at state, but it is a factor in the perceived weakness of that section.

EDIT: And I just read that Eau Claire Memorial has reached the sectional final for the 10th year in a row.
wr88
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 8:26:20 PM(UTC)

All State
badgerfan24 wrote:
blugold94 wrote:

I get that section 4 is traditionally weaker than the other sections. no debate. But there have been some very lopsided sectional final games the last few years. NDA last year. WWest the year they won state, just to name a couple. So it isnt just a unique problem that section 4 has or a free pass for WR every year. And dont forget, WR was making trips to Madison in their former section too - same section as Fondy, Stevens Point, Appleton

And (going off a post I read in a different thread) if you look at the section 4 matchups in the quarter finals, they have been matched up against the #1 ranked team in the state EVERY year for the last 6ish seasons. Not saying that is the reason for the string of losses for section 4 at state, but it is a factor in the perceived weakness of that section.

EDIT: And I just read that Eau Claire Memorial has reached the sectional final for the 10th year in a row.

Talk about free passes
Twitter
blugold94
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2014 7:28:25 AM(UTC)
All Conference
wr88 wrote:
badgerfan24 wrote:
blugold94 wrote:

Talk about free passes

Really? You think ECM getting to 10 straight sectional finals is because of the free pass of the bracket and not because they have been a top three team almost every year with multiple state titles during that run? If it was the bracket that allowed ECM deep runs they would get knocked out at state every year early like teams of a certain bracket.

One way to strengthen ECM's bracket would to flip Marshfield and Wisconsin Rapids....let Rapids go west for a while like the Tigers have for a number of years. Or flip SPASH and Rapids for a bit......if it were SPASH instead of WR in Sect. 4, SPASH would have been at state the last five years instead of missing out.
@ChadHolmesWI
wr88
#17 Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:43:07 AM(UTC)

All State
blugold94 wrote:

Really? You think ECM getting to 10 straight sectional finals is because of the free pass of the bracket and not because they have been a top three team almost every year with multiple state titles during that run? If it was the bracket that allowed ECM deep runs they would get knocked out at state every year early like teams of a certain bracket.

One way to strengthen ECM's bracket would to flip Marshfield and Wisconsin Rapids....let Rapids go west for a while like the Tigers have for a number of years. Or flip SPASH and Rapids for a bit......if it were SPASH instead of WR in Sect. 4, SPASH would have been at state the last five years instead of missing out.

Obviously the rolling eyes wasn't a give away at sarcasm. Not going to argue at how good of a team/program ECM has.

But give credit where it is due. Section #4 has improved. Rapids is usually the class of the sectional, but they have improved. Tomah was very good back when Nicewanger was their goalie and made it to the Frozen 4. Onalaska is no slouch of a program. When Sparta rallied past Rapids a couple years back, upset Onalaska, and went on to get smoked by Verona in the quarterfinals, they were a strong team, but once West Salem/Bangor broke off from the co-op, the Vipers' talent was gone, and now look at the teams. West Salem is a game away from Madison in their second year of WIAA existence. Sparta is lucky to win 5 games.

Since Rapids was moved to #4,
2005- Rapids Semifinal loss to state champion, Superior.
2006- Rapids Semifinal loss to state runner-up Fond du Lac.
2007- Tomah semifinal loss to state runner-up Superior.
2008- Rapids quarterfinal loss to Appleton. (Appleton lost to eventual runner-up Edgewood.)
2009- Onalaska quarterfinal loss to state champion Arrowhead.
2010- Rapids quarterfinal loss to state runner-up Wausau West.
2011- RWD quarterfinal loss to ECM (ECM lost to eventual state champ in OT in semis)
2012- Sparta quarterfinal loss to Verona (Verona lost to eventual state champ Notre Dame.)
2013- Rapids quarterfinal loss to Notre Dame (lost to eventual runner-up Verona, ND was ranked #1 almost all year.)

I get it. Every time the issue comes up on here, or we talk in person, you think section 4 and Rapids being there is a joke. Take it up with the WIAA. I cannot speak for the Rapids program and I don't want to. But if the Hockey program is like any other athletic program in the school, they'll go anywhere, anytime, and play anyone.
Other ways to strengthen #2 is to add New Richmond or Hudson from #1 to #2. Not outrageous for travel either. Maybe even split Mosinee, DCE, Wausau West to #2. The trip on Highway 29 isn't a bad one. Not much different than going to Rhinelander or Northland Pines.
Twitter
wr88
#18 Posted : Sunday, March 02, 2014 7:08:53 PM(UTC)

All State
Superior vs Verona
ECM vs Notre Dame
Wausau West vs USM
Onalaska vs Kettle Moraine/Mukwonago

All 4 games, I think, should be very competitive.
Twitter
badgerfan24
#19 Posted : Sunday, March 02, 2014 9:24:17 PM(UTC)
Varsity
High Fives: 2
on paper.... that early session looks RIDICULOUS. crazy good matchups.
afternoon sessions should be just as interesting. Great tourney this year!

here is my guess:

Superior vs Verona
ECM vs Notre Dame
Wausau West vs USM

taking it to the next level:
Verona vs NDA
Wausau West vs Onalaska

NDA vs Wausau West

but what do I know....
blugold94
#20 Posted : Monday, March 03, 2014 9:53:43 AM(UTC)
All Conference
badgerfan24 wrote:
on paper.... that early session looks RIDICULOUS. crazy good matchups.
afternoon sessions should be just as interesting. Great tourney this year!

here is my guess:

Superior vs Verona
ECM vs Notre Dame
Wausau West vs USM

taking it to the next level:
Verona vs NDA
Wausau West vs Onalaska

NDA vs Wausau West

but what do I know....

I agree the match-ups look very interesting....I know there are some people who think it's the same old names.....but there's something to be said for traditional powers facing off.

I think Superior will beat Verona. Superior is peaking at the right time. On paper NDA should beat ECM but the Abes rarely lay an egg at state while the Tritons have had some inexplicable losses over the last few years around their state title.....think ECM might pull off the upset. Wausau West lost to USM in early December 1-0 but that was a time the Warriors were struggling to put the puck in the net.....that hasn't been the case recently. Onalaska with a slight edge against KMMO.
@ChadHolmesWI
wr88
#21 Posted : Monday, March 03, 2014 12:33:54 PM(UTC)

All State
I have to agree with Bluegold, except for the ECM/NDA game.

Superior over Verona- Spartans are really hot right now.
NDA over ECM- Tritons seem unstoppable. But they have had major let downs the past few years.
Wausau West over USM- Could go either way.
Onalaska over KMMO- Could go either way, as well.

NDA over Superior- Could go either way.
Wausau West over Onalaska- Another game that could go either way.

NDA over Wausau West- Could be nasty, but than again, could be another close one.
Twitter
kadenb
#22 Posted : Thursday, March 06, 2014 10:51:52 AM(UTC)

Junior Varsity
High Fives: 1
High Fived: 3
I think that this will be a tournament to remember this year with some great talent and some possible cinderella stories. Saying that, here are my predictions:

Game 1: Verona 4, Superior 3 - although i do like superiors chances in this game, they havent been consistent enough through the season where Verona really steps up in big games

Game 2: Notre Dame 6, ECM 4- the Old Abes have a great talent in Bresser but really lack in goaltending and depth, where Notre Dame has two of the top tenders and 2-3 solid lines of forwards

Game 3: Wausau West 3, USM 1- Wausau West has been hot through the playoffs and i dont expect them to stop now, and USM just doesnt have the scoring power needed to cap the Warriors

Game 4: Onalaska 2, KMMO 1 (OT) - This game could definately go either way and whichever team decides to show up will win. I picked the Hilltoppers because they have more depth and i dont think the lasers have anyone who will be able to step up and score a couple of big goals

Semi 1: Notre Dame 5, Verona 2- The Tritons will be looking for revenge from last year and will find it.

Semi 2: Onalaska 3, Wausau West 2- This is my upset pick. I think that Onalaska will be able to suprise the Warriors and go to the finals

Final: Notre Dame 4, Onalaska 1- Although i would love a cinderella ending, NDA is just too deep and skilled to miss out on a state championship.
wr88
#23 Posted : Thursday, March 06, 2014 11:01:00 PM(UTC)

All State
Verona 3
Superior 0

Notre Dame 7
ECM 0

Wausau West 1
USM 2
OT

Onalaska 4
KMMO 3

Verona vs Notre Dame
USM vs Onalaska
Twitter
wr88
#24 Posted : Friday, March 07, 2014 10:42:46 PM(UTC)

All State
Verona 1
Notre Dame 0

USM 3
Onalaska 4

Verona vs Onalaska

"Section 4 sucks... They need to switch it up to make it tougher and get new teams to state.... They'll go win-less again at state this year."

Go Hilltoppers!!
Twitter
hueby
#25 Posted : Sunday, March 09, 2014 12:22:47 AM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fives: 54
High Fived: 55
Congratulations to Verona on winning it all. Funny I actually found out they won when I got home from work and was checking out hockey on a Michigan forum.

Honestly am still somewhat shocked with their win over NDA. I just didn't see that coming.

The one team NDA lost to in the regular season in the MIHL Showcase-Detroit Catholic Central- won D1 in Michigan with a 5-1 score over Brighton.

Also in Michigan, Trenton defeated Hartland 8-3 in D2, while in D3 the U.P.'s Sault Ste Marie lost to Farmington 2-1. After many years Sault Ste Marie finally made it to the championship game last year... but lost. What was significant about this was many of their Midget AAA caliber players played high school the past couple seasons.

Hope everything went well down there in Madison. Congratulations to all the teams who advanced down there.

Anyone keeping tabs on Minnesota's?