skip navigation
Posting on the WSN Forum will be unavailable for a few days while we migrate to a new forum.
We apologize for any inconvenience.

3 Pages123>
UW's Tony Granato to Coach 2018 Men's Olympic Team
mickjagger
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2015 9:18:41 PM(UTC)

WSNxtra: Member of WSN Xtra
All American
High Fives: 2767
High Fived: 972
UW Men's Hockey Head Coach Mike Eaves was retained by the UW Athletic Board, but his contract, which currently runs through 2019, was not extended:

Full Story:
http://host.madison.com/...amp;utm_content=headline
Wisconsin Sports Network Hall of Fame Inductee, 2012
Sponsor  

hueby
#2 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2015 9:19:03 PM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fives: 54
High Fived: 55
He should of recruited some hard working blue collar U.P. hockey players.
db11
#3 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2015 9:29:31 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 891
High Fived: 1552
Not sure how you can win a National Title....disappear for a few years....finish as runner-up...and then fall off the map. Badger Bob is rolling over in his grave seeing the topsy-turvy nature of the Eaves' tenure.
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales
mickjagger
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2015 6:08:47 PM(UTC)

All American
Delete requested by author of post
mickjagger
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2015 6:11:10 PM(UTC)

All American
db11 wrote:
Not sure how you can win a National Title....disappear for a few years....finish as runner-up...and then fall off the map. Badger Bob is rolling over in his grave seeing the topsy-turvy nature of the Eaves' tenure.

I will always wonder what Badger Men's Hockey fortunes might have been had Bucky hired current Badger Women's coach Mark Johnson instead of Mike Eaves (they were the finalists for the men's job, at the time) Perhaps we'll eventually find out ...
hueby
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 05, 2015 6:12:22 AM(UTC)
All Conference
I didn't come up following the Badgers but hope they can turn it around and do well. I dropped in on their USCHO forums at times to see what was going on.

Sounds like they had some locker room/ team chemistry issues if I remember correctly. Maybe some injuries.

In recent years the teams that are proving to be the best in the nation are these "non-historic" power houses. Many are out of the east too.
mickjagger
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 07, 2015 5:50:30 PM(UTC)

All American
Former Badger defenseman & ass't coach extraordinaire, Mark Osiecki, is being seriously considered to re-join the UW men's hockey program to fill the top assistant role as Mike Eaves attempts to rebuild his coaching staff:

http://host.madison.com/...mp;utm_content=headline

This is good!
hueby
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 09, 2015 8:44:07 PM(UTC)
All Conference
Really reminds us how the people around you (assistant coaches) can make or break your career!
mickjagger
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2015 4:11:11 PM(UTC)

All American
mickjagger wrote:
Former Badger defenseman & ass't coach extraordinaire, Mark Osiecki, is being seriously considered to re-join the UW men's hockey program to fill the top assistant role as Mike Eaves attempts to rebuild his coaching staff:

http://host.madison.com/...mp;utm_content=headline

This is good!

Former Badger Don Granato who is currently employed by U.S. Developmental Hockey has turned down Mike Eaves' invitation to join the Badgers' coaching staff.

Also, Mark Osiecki, who was strongly rumored to be re-joining the Badgers' coaching staff once his AHL team was eliminated from the playoffs, is now considered a long-shot to return to Madison. Apparently, UW head coach continued to move forward in the interview process during the time Osiecki was unapproachable and, consequently, now has other candidates in mind.

Full Story:
http://host.madison.com/...ontent=featured_headline
hueby
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 04, 2015 6:40:51 PM(UTC)
All Conference
Anyone hear of an assistant yet? Last I read on another website he was having trouble finding an assistant.

What's up with that?
wiscopetty
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 04, 2015 7:04:00 PM(UTC)

All Conference
High Fives: 2
High Fived: 5
hueby wrote:
Anyone hear of an assistant yet? Last I read on another website he was having trouble finding an assistant.

What's up with that?

I saw they hired Luke Strand as assistant head coach.

Official release
hueby
#12 Posted : Friday, June 05, 2015 9:15:03 AM(UTC)
All Conference
wiscopetty wrote:
hueby wrote:

What's up with that?

I saw they hired Luke Strand as assistant head coach.

Official release

Thanks wiscopetty. Very well known coach around here. Hope he does well!
hueby
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 03, 2015 10:19:38 PM(UTC)
All Conference
For those interested, here is the link to the USCHO hockey forum. Lots of discussion on the Badgers threads. At least your fans "care enough to post" unlike where I grew up:

http://board.uscho.com/f...y.php?4-Men-s-Division-I
importfromil
#14 Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2016 11:07:49 AM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fives: 29
High Fived: 26
So at 6-15-7, 1-10-3 with two of those wins against Arizona State and two others against Alaska and a dearth of high-end talent (read: highly-drafted NHL prospects) on the roster and coming into the system, anyone want to lay odds on whether Eaves gets another season behind the bench for the Badgers?
I'm not saying some things the WIAA does are wrong, ... I'm just saying, "I find it weird."
wiscopetty
#15 Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2016 3:33:00 PM(UTC)

All Conference
High Fives: 2
High Fived: 5
importfromil wrote:
So at 6-15-7, 1-10-3 with two of those wins against Arizona State and two others against Alaska and a dearth of high-end talent (read: highly-drafted NHL prospects) on the roster and coming into the system, anyone want to lay odds on whether Eaves gets another season behind the bench for the Badgers?

I'd be really surprised.
hueby
#16 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 8:45:50 PM(UTC)
All Conference
importfromil wrote:

That's a good question! Dropped in on the USCHO fan forum and I would have to agree with one poster who said spoke of the AD and the 2 biggest factors are:

1. Money (attendance)
2. UW's reputation

I don't know how the fan attendance compares to other years. On a positive note, at least Badgers fans care enough to post!
buzzerbeater2
#17 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2016 7:02:44 AM(UTC)

All Conference
High Fives: 18
High Fived: 57
O/U 3.5 days before Eaves is let go?
Mike McCarthy is challenging the ruling on the field that he has 3 timeouts remaining.
Charter member of the WSN 1000-post Culb.

* - Banned for life from any WSN "Hall of Fame."

formerwiacbaseballer
#18 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2016 7:08:35 AM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 308
High Fived: 669
buzzerbeater2 wrote:

Under....

He'll be gone before the weekend is over....
"Let's Play Two!!!"

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

"There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
formerwiacbaseballer
#19 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2016 7:27:35 AM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 308
High Fived: 669
More like not even get to the weekend!!!

Badgers announce Eaves will not be retained....

http://www.jsonline.com/...690203z1-372547021.html
"Let's Play Two!!!"

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

"There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
nyybball
#20 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2016 7:27:55 AM(UTC)

All State
High Fives: 116
High Fived: 172
formerwiacbaseballer wrote:
buzzerbeater2 wrote:

Under....

Formerwiacballer posted the link thirty seconds before I did. Hopefully they can get this program turned around. It's sad that such legendary program has gone down the crapper on the ice/in the seats.
innercityivan
#21 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2016 7:48:47 AM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fives: 4
High Fived: 1
nyybball wrote:
formerwiacbaseballer wrote:
buzzerbeater2 wrote:

Under....

Formerwiacballer posted the link thirty seconds before I did. Hopefully they can get this program turned around. It's sad that such legendary program has gone down the crapper on the ice/in the seats.

The article mentioned the youth on the team.... have the scholarship classed become unbalanced (like basketball)?
Hard to compete without upperclassmen.
db11
#22 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2016 8:51:44 AM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 891
High Fived: 1552
How much has the move to a B1G hockey conference from the powerful WCHA hurt the program?
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales
importfromil
#23 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2016 10:25:55 AM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fives: 29
High Fived: 26
Not much, if any. The damage was done in years past. Good players help make coaches look good. Eaves has really struggled to get good players in for a while now, and the ones he did get the last few years were gone after a season or two. It also didn't help that for a while he was oversigning recruits and was unapologetic about it - including to the recruits and their parents. That caused a lot of other kids to start questioning whose best interests Eaves had in mind, and they would end up passing on UW.

To the conference: You know you've got Michigan and Minnesota, but they've always been around. Penn State is in its 4th year of men's hockey, has one (1) player on its roster who's been drafted by an NHL team (Eamon McAdam; 3rd round, 2013) and it looks to be 2 years ahead of UW. Ohio State has historically been a .500 program, and it's ahead of UW. Michigan State is still looking to get its feet again after the Ron Mason and Rick Comley runs, and it's still ahead of UW. Wisconsin might have gone .500 in the WCHA this season (I'd take the under on it, though); it wouldn't have done better than 7th in the NCHC.
I'm not saying some things the WIAA does are wrong, ... I'm just saying, "I find it weird."
mickjagger
#24 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2016 10:07:56 PM(UTC)

All American
Boom goes the dynamite .... handwriting was on the wall for some time.

Mark Johnson, Mark Osiecki, Don Granato mentioned as head coaching possibilities ....

Full Story:
http://host.madison.com/...2-b443-4777cc947493.html
hueby
#25 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2016 4:37:38 AM(UTC)
All Conference
importfromil wrote:
Not much, if any. The damage was done in years past. Good players help make coaches look good. Eaves has really struggled to get good players in for a while now, and the ones he did get the last few years were gone after a season or two. It also didn't help that for a while he was oversigning recruits and was unapologetic about it - including to the recruits and their parents. That caused a lot of other kids to start questioning whose best interests Eaves had in mind, and they would end up passing on UW.

To the conference: You know you've got Michigan and Minnesota, but they've always been around. Penn State is in its 4th year of men's hockey, has one (1) player on its roster who's been drafted by an NHL team (Eamon McAdam; 3rd round, 2013) and it looks to be 2 years ahead of UW. Ohio State has historically been a .500 program, and it's ahead of UW. Michigan State is still looking to get its feet again after the Ron Mason and Rick Comley runs, and it's still ahead of UW. Wisconsin might have gone .500 in the WCHA this season (I'd take the under on it, though); it wouldn't have done better than 7th in the NCHC.

When he was at MSU, Rick Comley used to talk about the frustrations of players leaving college/losing players early to the professional level. Reading the USCHO forums I see the MSU fans were watching Wisconsin as many were wondering of their coaching situation too.