skip navigation
Posting on the WSN Forum will be unavailable for a few days while we migrate to a new forum.
We apologize for any inconvenience.

Usain Bolt Loses 100m in Final Career Race
mickjagger
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 05, 2017 4:51:55 PM(UTC)

WSNxtra: Member of WSN Xtra
All American
High Fives: 2767
High Fived: 972
In the 2017 World Championships today, sprinting legend Usain Bolt lost his final career race (100 meters) to longtime rival Justin Gatlin:

http://www.msn.com/en-us...ld/ar-AApttMB?li=BBnb7Kz
Wisconsin Sports Network Hall of Fame Inductee, 2012
Sponsor  

db11
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 05, 2017 6:05:45 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 891
High Fived: 1552
The world sporting media is beside itself that Bolt lost to Gatlin in his "farewell" race...Gatlin, of course, served a four-year doping ban (that started before anyone knew who Bolt was) thanks to being affiliated with coach Trevor Graham and, ergo, BALCO.

Say what you will about Gatlin, but he ain't failed a test since 2006. Unfortunately, the meticulous track world never forgets anything.

But perhaps what gets my goat even more about the reaction to this, is the complete disregard for Tennessee Volunteer sprinter Christian Coleman (who had the world's fastest time this year, BTW) also beating Bolt in taking silver. He also beat Bolt in the semifinal round.

Sorry people, not all sports stories get the fairytale ending*.

*That is, until Bolt inevitably decides to come back.
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales
innercityivan
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 06, 2017 7:05:08 AM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fives: 4
High Fived: 1
Yeah, Coleman is getting short changed here. But he was sandwiched between two huge personalities.

Crazy Gatlin is still this fast at his age.

I think Bolt just did not put in as much effort and training this season. The pressure for him to compete at the next olympics will only grow.
db11
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 06, 2017 9:31:51 AM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
innercityivan wrote:
Yeah, Coleman is getting short changed here. But he was sandwiched between two huge personalities.

Crazy Gatlin is still this fast at his age.

I think Bolt just did not put in as much effort and training this season. The pressure for him to compete at the next olympics will only grow.

I know he missed nearly a month of training after his close friend (and 2008 Olympic HJ silver medalist) Germaine Mason died in a car accident.

You wonder where his motivation was at, as it's been made quite clear that he originally wanted to go out at Rio, and that his sponsors basically got him to stick around through London.

I'd say a comeback is likely, as no one ever seems to stay retired these days...I just don't know if he'd ever be as enigmatic on the track again.
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

-The Outlaw Josey Wales
baker18
#5 Posted : Monday, August 07, 2017 1:49:04 PM(UTC)
All Conference
High Fives: 6
High Fived: 24
He has already announced he will participate in the 2020 Olympics so I don't know where these final race stories are coming from. it may be his final race in the world championship level, but not his final race ever
dawgstyle
#6 Posted : Monday, August 07, 2017 2:12:16 PM(UTC)

All American
High Fives: 148
High Fived: 279
baker18 wrote:
He has already announced he will participate in the 2020 Olympics so I don't know where these final race stories are coming from. it may be his final race in the world championship level, but not his final race ever

Google Disagrees with you.

https://www.google.com/s...ceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
@2GuysFromWI

Harbaugh will have Urban Meyer retired from OSU by 2020.
formerwiacbaseballer
#7 Posted : Monday, August 07, 2017 2:14:58 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
High Fives: 308
High Fived: 669
dawgstyle wrote:

I'm shocked!!!!!
"Let's Play Two!!!"

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

"There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
db11
#8 Posted : Monday, August 07, 2017 10:10:52 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
As someone who follows track and field on the world level at least casually there has not been any narrative coming from the Bolt camp about anything beyond 2017. Bolt wanted to retire after Rio, but his sponsors basically goaded him into this.

My suspicions are he won't race at all in 2018, but I wouldn't be surprised to be see him back by the next worlds in 2019. I do not think he will be doing more than one distance though anymore.

-The Outlaw Josey Wales
db11
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 12, 2017 3:15:03 PM(UTC)

WSN Hall of Fame
In the final relay of his career, Usain Bolt appears to pop his hammy on the anchor leg and fails to finish (though he was symbolically helped across the finish line).

A bunch of no-namers from Great Britain took gold with an incredible anchor leg overtaking the U.S.'s Christian Coleman. The U.S. can take solace in actually finishing a 4x100 without dropping the baton or getting DQ'd for the first time in what seems like forever. Japan took the bronze.

-The Outlaw Josey Wales